What happened in the dairy aisle

Subdude

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cannot imagine going to the grocery store for anything else but groceries... What? Do you buy your tires from them? Your oil/filters? Your suits? A new mattress? Exterior paint? Server motherboards? Plasma televisions? Belt sander? Weedeater? Lumber for cabinets? A new shredder?

I suppose I need to be more explicit in my explanations for some people... sigh...

It's not uncommon for people to linger in Disco Kroger to people watch... because there are some... er, interesting characters there.

A new Shredder would be awesome though.

shredder.jpg

This Shredder's lookin' a lil sad.

I suppose I need to be more explicit in my explanations for some people... sigh...

It's not uncommon for people to linger in Disco Kroger to people watch... because there are some... er, interesting characters there.

A new Shredder would be awesome though.

shredder.jpg

This Shredder's lookin' a lil sad.

You did not say disco kroger. You just said grocery store.

And yes he does look quite disturbed. I would say it's because he could have save more $ by shopping at HEB instead of Krogers. Ugh.

When I want to people watch I head over to the heights. It seems there are plenty of clowns walking around asking for donations, peeping into windows, and other assorted questionable behaviours.

You did not say disco kroger. You just said grocery store.

"And, if the only reason you go to a grocery store is to buy groceries, then you obviously have never been to the Disco Kroger."

Er...

And yes he does look quite disturbed. I would say it's because he could have save more $ by shopping at HEB instead of Krogers. Ugh.

I agree. The Heeb is where it's at.

Exactly. The Sunday before yesterday, it was cool, cloudy and dreary. A neighbor and I were bored and went to Kroger just for the hell of it. Of course we got a few things, but we did not go to get anything specifically.

Wow, that looks pretty sad in written form. ph34r.gif

Plus I never go to Kroger anyway. Too expensive and it's always so dreary... depressing... and it drains the life out of my soul.

I live equidistant from DiscoKroger and the Dunlavy Fiesta. I usually go to the Fiesta, but i do find it annoying some of the products they dont carry, e.g. Rasberry jelly.. no jam... no preserves. They finally started carrying one homemade looking brand.. but it tastes like ass. What kinda grocery store doesnt carry Smuckers Rasberry Preserves?

I do generally feel the same, that Kroger will be more expensive, even with the kroger card.. but that isn't always true.

Hamburger meat.. kroger has better prices... about a $1 cheaper per lb.

I'm going to start going to Krogers a little more and paying attention to prices a little more... they're both so close.. figure it's worth the trouble to establish a secondary grocery list for cheaper items at Krogers since I have to go there anyways for some products.

I'm going to start going to Krogers a little more and paying attention to prices a little more... they're both so close.. figure it's worth the trouble to establish a secondary grocery list for cheaper items at Krogers since I have to go there anyways for some products.

I'm unsure I would waste time doing such a thing. Stores such as the ones in question here usually change the prices on a weekly basis. So one week product A will be cheaper at store X and next week it will be cheaper at store Y. Ugh.

"And, if the only reason you go to a grocery store is to buy groceries, then you obviously have never been to the Disco Kroger."

Er...

I did not see that... :blink:

I'm unsure I would waste time doing such a thing. Stores such as the ones in question here usually change the prices on a weekly basis. So one week product A will be cheaper at store X and next week it will be cheaper at store Y. Ugh.

It's not like each grocery store run consists of two stops. If the store I perceive as cheaper and frequent more often doesnt carry everything I want... then i might as well keep an eye out for deals when i have to go to the more expensive store every so often.

It's not like each grocery store run consists of two stops. If the store I perceive as cheaper and frequent more often doesnt carry everything I want... then i might as well keep an eye out for deals when i have to go to the more expensive store every so often.

About ten years ago, I did an item-by-item price comparison between Kroger and HEB. I looked at the cost of everything I typically bought, from meat and produce to Hamburger Helper and beer. If an item was available in the generic, that's what I priced, as that's what I bought. If it wasn't available in generic in one store but was in the other, then the first store was screwed on that item's price. On some items, Kroger was less expensive. On most, HEB was the better price. All said, HEB came out about 10% less in overall cost compared to Kroger. It was a runaway success for HEB, and ever since then, HEB has won my loyalty whenever there was an HEB in proximity. Frankly, I don't really care if I have to wander around for an hour to find one thing.

And, even if a gaggle of poorly choreographed (but ultimately funny) Fame rejects dance in front of the yogurt, I'll still shop there.

I see. It would be an interesting experiment. You should post the results.

About ten years ago, I did an item-by-item price comparison between Kroger and HEB. I looked at the cost of everything I typically bought, from meat and produce to Hamburger Helper and beer. If an item was available in the generic, that's what I priced, as that's what I bought. If it wasn't available in generic in one store but was in the other, then the first store was screwed on that item's price. On some items, Kroger was less expensive. On most, HEB was the better price. All said, HEB came out about 10% less in overall cost compared to Kroger. It was a runaway success for HEB, and ever since then, HEB has won my loyalty whenever there was an HEB in proximity. Frankly, I don't really care if I have to wander around for an hour to find one thing.

And, even if a gaggle of poorly choreographed (but ultimately funny) Fame rejects dance in front of the yogurt, I'll still shop there.

Yeah I only go to HEB now. I like their gangsta-rap sound track better too.

The problem is you showed up at the store with a list. That's not how I work. I show up and get what's on sale and plan from there. You say that HEB was about 10% cheaper on all items - well on the receipt at Kroger it tells me how much I save, and I average 30% total savings or more every week (90% of what I buy is milk, meat, and cereal by the way, fruit and veggies come from Canino's or Fiesta). I promise I'm coming out ahead that way. The regular stuff that you do have to make a list and buy no matter what (toilet paper, etc.), that's what Walmart is for. I know they beat HEB and Kroger hands down with that stuff.

The problem is you showed up at the store with a list. That's not how I work. I show up and get what's on sale and plan from there. You say that HEB was about 10% cheaper on all items - well on the receipt at Kroger it tells me how much I save, and I average 30% total savings or more every week (90% of what I buy is milk, meat, and cereal by the way, fruit and veggies come from Canino's or Fiesta). I promise I'm coming out ahead that way. The regular stuff that you do have to make a list and buy no matter what (toilet paper, etc.), that's what Walmart is for. I know they beat HEB and Kroger hands down with that stuff.

The Kroger receipt tells you how much your card savings are over regular Kroger prices, not how much you save against HEB or Fiesta or whatever.

The closest Wal-Mart to me is the one on Dunvale, and considering my bio-hazard suit is at the drycleaners right now, I'll just continue to shop at HEB for my TP.

The Kroger receipt tells you how much your card savings are over regular Kroger prices, not how much you save against HEB or Fiesta or whatever.

If regular Kroger prices are within 10 percent and I'm beating those by 30 plus, 30 > 10, the point is clear. Also, regardless of regular price I know what a good price is on pretty much any meat. I've walked in to HEB many times, and walked out without buying anything because their regular prices are too high.

LOL. You beat me to the punch.

There's no need to worry. SexyATTACK isn't likely to make it out to Sugarland to frighten all the "older, more regular, weekly/bi-weekly customers." This phenomena probably won't ever make it to the 'burbs, and I can assure you, there probably wasn't a soul in the Disco Kroger even remotely scared of the handful of people dancing badly.

So there are no old, more concervative, bi-weekly shoppers that use the "DiscoKroger" on a regular basis - and you defend this reasoning by inferring that the suburbs would be the only place this type of shopper would dwell? :lol:

I seriously doubt this group scares anyone - except perhaps those with real dancing ability. I said they do likely ANNOY however. There is a huge difference between the two. Either way its the management's job to ensure that paying customers are satisfied. What are the odds that any of this group made a purchase after dancing their jigs in each of the stores? I would bet the probability is lower than the probability of at least one customer walking out without finishing their purchase.

Why don't we come up with a list of 20 items or so and everyone price those 20 items next time they go to their grocery store?

If we worked together on this, we could determine pretty quickly which grocery store does indeed offer the best prices.

Why don't we come up with a list of 20 items or so and everyone price those 20 items next time they go to their grocery store?

If we worked together on this, we could determine pretty quickly which grocery store does indeed offer the best prices.

Our results would be invalid a week or two later at most, I fear. However, I give you points for thinking outside the box. Perhaps something akin to Houston Gas Buddy dot com where people can observe and report on the price of gasoline around town.

Maybe this is a different thread, but that's still a bad approach if the end goal is to spend less and feed yourself. You have to be flexible. If ribeyes are $8.99/lb, don't buy them this week. If they are $3.99 on Kroger special, that's when you get them. Chicken breast is just as bad, you can spend $8 on 1 package if you just want some and don't pay attention to prices. I don't solely shop at Kroger, I look at the weekly ads and if a sale is good enough, we'll go anywhere. Kroger just has the best sales, on average. Paying full/regular price is for suckers.

Our results would be invalid a week or two later at most, I fear. However, I give you points for thinking outside the box. Perhaps something akin to Houston Gas Buddy dot com where people can observe and report on the price of gasoline around town.

Make it an ongoing experiment, we'd eventually be comparing Heb's avg price of 2 lt Coke classic vs Krogers avg price of 2 lt Coke classic... and so-on and so-on... We get enough data, we'd still be able to make judgements on who has the better prices.

Maybe this is a different thread, but that's still a bad approach if the end goal is to spend less and feed yourself. You have to be flexible. If ribeyes are $8.99/lb, don't buy them this week. If they are $3.99 on Kroger special, that's when you get them. Chicken breast is just as bad, you can spend $8 on 1 package if you just want some and don't pay attention to prices. I don't solely shop at Kroger, I look at the weekly ads and if a sale is good enough, we'll go anywhere. Kroger just has the best sales, on average. Paying full/regular price is for suckers.

I do get what you're saying... If the price isn't good enough on a given week, ya skip.

Still.. we're not actually buying the items.. we are pricing the items an letting the data accumulate.

Everyone could price 1lb of ground beef, generic toilet paper, best buy on cat food, coke, and a 1/2 gallon of 2%.. etc. each time they go to the store regardless if they need the items or not. I still think eventually we would discover a pattern of who offers the best prices on a given item, despit the price fluctuations that they'll all be bound to have...

Make it an ongoing experiment, we'd eventually be comparing Heb's avg price of 2 lt Coke classic vs Krogers avg price of 2 lt Coke classic... and so-on and so-on... We get enough data, we'd still be able to make judgements on who has the better prices.

It would be useless data. Unless we could trend it by season, or by other factors such as weather patterns and which football teams win/lose that week. Then we're talking good stuff.

So 20th St Dad basically there is no way to test your claim that Kroger has better prices on sales and stuff? We should just take you at your word/judgment?

The hardest part would be determining whats on the list. e.g. to take into consideration that 20thstdad is saying... do we ask everyone to price the exact same brand of peanutbutter.. or do we give the size, and its up to the user to get the best price at that size.

Also.. do we make the list long enough to get variation of each item, e.g. wheat bread and white bread... or do we keep it short enough that people will actually go to the trouble of printing the list and pricing the items.

Once the list is determined, it would be easy enough to set up a spreadsheet with a form linked to haif for easy input.

Soup. I knew there was something else I was forgetting.. Kroger beats Fiesta on selection and prices of soup.

You have to be careful with soup. Because two of these:

03626_400.jpg

...and you would have exceeded your daily sodium intake by 200%. Can be yummy. But bad for your blood pressure.

I am not purposefully being confusing. If you choose a random set of items and try to determine what store is cheaper, I don't know or care who would win. All I'm saying is this: I shop for meat, mainly. I shop by sales. If I go purely on number of sales and quality of those sales, my observation is that Kroger wins. I have tried to shop by sale at both HEB and Randall's, and neither has enough sales every week for me to make all my purchases on sale. Kroger most always does (5 out of 6 weeks). The way I shop (revert back to single life, I'm not doing the shopping any more but have adequately trained the wife to get excited about meat prices), I go to the store, and I see what the deals are. Top sirloin cap petite steak for $3.99/lb? Sold. Country style pork ribs for $1.49/lb? That's what I'm eating this week. I'm just saying, I don't go to the store intending to buy any certain thing, I go by the specials and I save loads of $. If anyone goes to the store with a set menu for the week, they will come out spending more than I do. We don't limit it to Kroger though. Based on the weekly ads, we might be buying jumbo shrimp from Fiesta, pork butt from Foodarama, and spare ribs from HEB. Good thing for me I love to cook and am not picky, because we come out ahead every week. I average spending $7 per week on lunch....all lunches for the week.

Archived