Need a new front door (1920s bungalow)

I have a pretty common front door for the heights, it has 3 windows at the top, and a small ledge trim piece below the windows. The door has a hideous brass mail slot on the front that has been sealed up and i find the main part of the door awefully flimsy.

Does anyone know of a good place to find old doors or new doors that would fit in the the bungalow look/feel? I don't want to break the bank on this project, and another option i'm considering is rebuilding the door by knocking the middle box out, building a support beam down the middle with two boxes. I'll try to get a picture to better show what i'm talking about.

thoughts?

Curt

There is Atkins downtown, but for a nice door, go to any of the customer door companies, Conroe door, I think Mongomery customer door....anyway thats what they do. They make doors for other companies to sell. I showed them pics on a mod door costing 2000 or so and they laughed and explained the rediculous markup...so they arent that expensive considering its the first thing people see (unless you have a car broken down in the front yard ) when they come to your house. I have an installer that works on weekends only. PM me when/if you need the info.

Popular width back then was 34" which is largely obsolete today for exterior doors. So might have to be custom made. If you do find a reasonable match at a salvage place, measure very carefully. Old door may have been trimmed to match a racking jamb and unless you want to add dutchmen, won't fit properly. Also your jamb may be twisted (jamb legs not plumb to each other) or the replacement door may be twisted, creating more headaches.

Jeld-wen has a nice Bungalow door selection, but pricey:

http://www.jeld-wen.com/exteriordoors/wood/customwood/product.cfm/product_id/134

i need to measure it again, but if i remember correctly it was 35.75" wide by 83.75" high. So basically a 3ft by 7ft door shaved down a quarter inch both ways. I'll take a pic and remeasure when i go to the house today (i'm still moving in). I'll definitely check out histororic houston, maybe i can buy a door there, refinish it and get it installed, then sell my current door.

Curt

i need to measure it again, but if i remember correctly it was 35.75" wide by 83.75" high. So basically a 3ft by 7ft door shaved down a quarter inch both ways. I'll take a pic and remeasure when i go to the house today (i'm still moving in). I'll definitely check out histororic houston, maybe i can buy a door there, refinish it and get it installed, then sell my current door.

Curt

There are several people in the neighborhood that might be able to "fix" your door that you have now for much cheaper than what you would pay for a different door... What all is wrong with the door you have now? I know you mentioned a mail slot, which can be fixed with a new panel on the bottom of the door (easy), you had mentioned it being "flimsy"? I'd ask around before anything.

D

P.S. I don't mind taking a look and giving my opinion on whether it can be saved. Just let me know.

Edited by SaintCyr

I believe replacing the bottom panel would probably fix all the problems I have with it. But i find that because of the size of that panel, and the current material the bottom panel is flimsy.

Ah ok, so you are really talking about the thickness of the material rather than the door's joints being "flimsy"... If you look at the door's structure, it should be pretty thick. You should be able to replace that bottom panel with any thickness which would increase strength and weight of the door. I'll take a look at mine when I get home and see if I can determine the thickness. I'll post it this evening or tomorrow. Trust me when I say, if you replace that with a good thick plywood it will feel plenty sturdy.