HAIF Named Houston's Best Local Web Site!

editor

Wow! This was unexpected! I was Googling something today and found out that we've been named Best Local Web Site by the Houston Press.

http://www.houstonpr...b-site-1458386/

Once Halloween is over and I replace the pumpkins at the top of the page, you can be sure this is going to be there:

3910107.jpg

I don't remember even being able to vote for this? I wonder what the trend will be if a lot of traffic will be generated through this acknowledgement.

Congrats Wayne. It is well deserved. :)

I don't remember even being able to vote for this? I wonder what the trend will be if a lot of traffic will be generated through this acknowledgement.

Congrats Wayne. It is well deserved. :)

It was on the website. They announced it on Twitter and Facebook so start following the Houston Press. :)

Yep - it was all over our website and we Twittered about it, too. Even included a nifty little @HAIF in our Tweet about it. ;)

I just checked my @HAIF thingy, and I still only see a message from July. I'm not very Twitter-literate, so maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Congratulations! It's a very well-deserved win.

Thanks so much. Does this mean that HAIF is automagically disqualified for next year's contest, or should I put my mind to making it two-in-a-row?

I just checked my @HAIF thingy, and I still only see a message from July. I'm not very Twitter-literate, so maybe I'm doing it wrong.

i heard at happy hr that some of the people twittering for the press are realizing it's immature and they are devastated they are just realizing it.

i heard at happy hr that some of the people twittering for the press are realizing it's immature and they are devastated they are just realizing it.

Do you mean the Houston Press specifically, or the press in general?

I think Twitter is like any other tool -- it can be used well or poorly. It's like a newspaper -- you can get information from it, you can use it to build a fire, or you can make a funny hat out of it. The conventional wisdom is that a lot of people on Twitter like to wear funny paper hats. But I've never seen any of them because I only follow serious feeds.

Speaking of Twitter, the New York Times has a great line in today's paper. Essentially, it was that the current generation is so in love with the tools that they don't see the big picture. The sentence was something along the lines of "they praise the chisel, while ignoring Michaelangelo." The context was a story about a journalist using Twitter to get around a judicial ban on reporting something. Everyone falls all over themselves heaping praise on Twitter, but Twitter didn't do anything. It was the journalist that deserves praise for practicing his craft. Twitter was merely a tool he used to make it happen.

I never said it was immature, nor was that why I decided to take a little Twitter sabbatical. But I fully agree with Editor that too many people are increasingly in love with the tool instead of the community that it fosters, the news/information it spreads, etc.

Archived