Houston Sighting: House Hunters

editor

Tonight on HGTV's House Hunters show, a couple from San Diego that was living in an apartment in Midtown went looking for a new home in the Heights and Montrose.

The show had lots of shots of the downtown skyline, plus street scenes from Midtown and elsewhere. They all made Houston look pretty good. From what I could tell, I think the couple lived in Amli Midtown, if that's even what that complex is called these days.

Tonight on HGTV's House Hunters show, a couple from San Diego that was living in an apartment in Midtown went looking for a new home in the Heights and Montrose.

The show had lots of shots of the downtown skyline, plus street scenes from Midtown and elsewhere. They all made Houston look pretty good. From what I could tell, I think the couple lived in Amli Midtown, if that's even what that complex is called these days.

I was in Little Rock this weekend, but I happened to catch a bit of it while channel surfing at the hotel. They showed shots of houses in what looked to be the Meyerland area during the shots in which they described the type of housing they were looking for, but all of the houses they looked at were bungalow type houses that appeared to be in The Heights or Montrose.

I wasn't sure where those driving shots were, but I guess they could have been Meyerland. The house the couple eventually settled on is in The Heights, though at the beginning of the show they stated they wanted to live in Midtown or Montrose. I guess they changed their minds.

I wasn't sure where those driving shots were, but I guess they could have been Meyerland. The house the couple eventually settled on is in The Heights, though at the beginning of the show they stated they wanted to live in Midtown or Montrose. I guess they changed their minds.

$

$

You're probably right. But I would have thought that The Heights would be more expensive than Montrose. The home they eventually picked was very nice. Kind of a two-story Charleston-style shotgun. I'm not sure what the correct name for it is. It didn't have a back yard, but it did have a nice piece of grass in the front and some great balconies for hanging plants. I think the eventual selling price was $350,000.

You're probably right. But I would have thought that The Heights would be more expensive than Montrose. The home they eventually picked was very nice. Kind of a two-story Charleston-style shotgun. I'm not sure what the correct name for it is. It didn't have a back yard, but it did have a nice piece of grass in the front and some great balconies for hanging plants. I think the eventual selling price was $350,000.

I would have thought so too, but in fact it doesn't seem to be the case. I've been house shopping and judging from what's available on HAR, Montrose is out of the question unless I want a condo. Heights has a lot of things that might suit me. Not Woodland Heights, certainly, but other parts of the Heights.

I would have thought so too, but in fact it doesn't seem to be the case. I've been house shopping and judging from what's available on HAR, Montrose is out of the question unless I want a condo. Heights has a lot of things that might suit me. Not Woodland Heights, certainly, but other parts of the Heights.

Depends on the specific neighborhood.

Looking at HAR's mapsearch in Montrose, under $185K there are a few condos and I think one townhouse (on Shepherd). In the Heights there's a lot more, in various states of disrepair.

It's sick isn't it? I live over near Greenway, and in my neighborhood, there's a 3 bedroom, 2 bath ranchette selling for over half a million dollars.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't seen very many of these shows (and a few of the international ones). Is it just me or do many of the buyers seem really naive and dingbat-y? Is it just because I hang out on HAIF so much? :blush:

Not just you. Drives me nuts when they reject an otherwise good house because a room is the wrong color. "Property Virgins" is a much better show. Sandra puts them back in line if they get to ditsy.

It seems like their biggest criteria was a large yard or outdoor deck for grilling and entertainment. So why did they pick the house with no backyard and a tiny covered porch? In my opinion, this is a case of a house that's way over sized for it's lot.

It seems like their biggest criteria was a large yard or outdoor deck for grilling and entertainment. So why did they pick the house with no backyard and a tiny covered porch? In my opinion, this is a case of a house that's way over sized for it's lot.

$

Also, another of their criteria was a big living room for upsizing their furniture.

$

Also, another of their criteria was a big living room for upsizing their furniture.

Yeah, but all three of the homes they looked at had larger living rooms. It just seemed an odd choice given all the carrying on about outdoor grilling...but I know a lot of people are magnetized to the big shiny and new and forget their other priorities.

The "new build" in Sunset Heights is one of those on 26th - yuck. Oh well. They got it for $350 but it appraises under $285. Alas.

On the shorter video the voiceover says "Matt and Suzanne are one decision away from buying their first place in the hip downtown area of Houston called The Loop."

Sunset Heights? "The Loop?" :rolleyes:

That's obnoxious (the show, and the buyers)!

http://www.hgtv.com/videos/looking-in-the-loop/36238.html

The "new build" in Sunset Heights is one of those on 26th - yuck. Oh well. They got it for $350 but it appraises under $285. Alas.

On the shorter video the voiceover says "Matt and Suzanne are one decision away from buying their first place in the hip downtown area of Houston called The Loop."

http://www.hgtv.com/videos/looking-in-the-loop/36238.html

So the myth that anything inside the loop is "downtown" continues...

The Loop district!

http://www.hgtv.com/...loop/36238.html

That line is as bad as the sign I saw advertising "Memorial Park area homes" on Larkin. Larkin is in Cottage Grove, on the other side of I-10 from the park. Not exactly in the area in my book.

I'm sure that the residents East of 59 and North of I-10 would be thrilled to know they live in a hip part of town.

That line is as bad as the sign I saw advertising "Memorial Park area homes" on Larkin. Larkin is in Cottage Grove, on the other side of I-10 from the park. Not exactly in the area in my book.

I'm sure that the residents East of 59 and North of I-10 would be thrilled to know they live in a hip part of town.

That's a common real estate trick. Never follow those signs unless you can see the development from the sign or you already know where you are going.

That space for the grill looks depressing. I would have picked House #2.

Same here (it seems the girl preferred it too). You just know they're going to be unhappy in a few years once the reality sets in that they have no outdoor space. They obviously have the money if they decide to move though.

Same here (it seems the girl preferred it too). You just know they're going to be unhappy in a few years once the reality sets in that they have no outdoor space. They obviously have the money if they decide to move though.

Or perhaps they've come to grips with the reality that outdoor living isn't the same here as what they were accustomed to in Southern California.

That would be odd considering it was one of their primary desires during the entire episode.

People often say one thing and then do another. Especially when large sums of money are concerned. I'm sure they really would like to do a lot of outdoor entertaining (and probably did in California), but if they are from San Diego then they are going to have a hard time adapting to what that means in Houston.

IIRC, there was another Houston episode this year with two brothers in college whose parents (Meyerland residents) were buying them a townhome near St. Thomas. They looked at a couple of newish townhomes, and an old house in the Montrose area, and then settled (shock) on one of the townhomes. Given that they wanted two masters and some privacy, their choice made sense. No comment on whether it was a smart investment or not.

Oh, and there was a suburban ultra-contemporary on My House Is Worth What last year. It looked like Cantoni threw up all over it...just too much, and I don't think it had appreciated much at all since the guy built it in his bachelor days.

No comment on whether it was a smart investment or not.

The shows on HGTV are designed to help sell the advertisers' products, not aid the viewers in making intelligent real estate investments. Intelligent real estate investments are often less than attractive properties that require sweat equity and long-term ownership. You know, stuff that's too "boring" for the action-oriented viewing public...

I'm sure they really would like to do a lot of outdoor entertaining (and probably did in California), but if they are from San Diego then they are going to have a hard time adapting to what that means in Houston.

True, especially since that new law limiting outdoor entertaining in Houston to the months of July and August was passed.

I've watched House Hunters from time to time. I've never once seen the couple pick the most expensive house. Guess it's just thrown in there, for numbers sake. I always preferred to watch House Detective. Or the one about why the house won't sell. That one is hilarious, but brutal, those people making comments about the owners decorating style, or lack of it. Don't seem to watch house shows right now.

I agree - seemed like she had some taste in looking at homes with character and had a better sense of quality and longevity. The guy just seemed nervous and drawn to the new, flashy stuff. It's too bad she couldn't persuade him. They'll probably live there three years and then move on to whatever is "new" then.

Archived