National Coming Out Day: Oct 11.

BryanS

I admit it. I am a gay man... I bet you didn't see that coming, did you?

...and each year, on my coming out anniversary (yes, I came out on National Coming Out Day 1996, it's cheesy)... I look back and am thankful, so thankful, that was I able to come to terms with who I am, early in life, in college (God, that was fun), vs. later or never.

...and in my true spirit of being "Debbie Downer"... my life has gone from irrational hiding ("I can't go into that club... someone will see me..." - circa 1995) to I don't give a rats' anymore (present). But I'm still happy. =)

So tomorrow... it will have been 13 years. Time for my margarita. This time... with fresh squeezed lime juice...

...just remember...

"Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32.

good for you! it's kind of amazing that you actually came out on that day.

As is said... it is a process. For the prior year, I was looking for just the right opportunity. I had been in so many social situations, where I thought: "I could do it now..." but for some reason or another, I wouldn't.

...and then I thought... this "National Coming Out Day" is coming up in a couple of months. That day really isn't going to be that much different from today, in my life... but if I did it then, I could look back and count the years.

So then... on that day. I told my sister. My roommate. All of my friends. Posted it on my "personal web page" - for the whole world to see (back in those days, we used Netscape, with the moving big "N"). My parents, I came out to them later. There is no way to pin that one down to a special date.

I have learned something new today--had no idea there was a coming out day. Happy anniversary, Bryan!

Two of my best friends didn't come out until they were in their early 30s and early 40s, respectively. I can't imagine life sucking for that long. Happily, it's a little easier for some people now.

I admit it. I am a gay man... I bet you didn't see that coming, did you?

...and each year, on my coming out anniversary (yes, I came out on National Coming Out Day 1996, it's cheesy)... I look back and am thankful, so thankful, that was I able to come to terms with who I am, early in life, in college (God, that was fun), vs. later or never.

...and in my true spirit of being "Debbie Downer"... my life has gone from irrational hiding ("I can't go into that club... someone will see me..." - circa 1995) to I don't give a rats' anymore (present). But I'm still happy. =)

So tomorrow... it will have been 13 years. Time for my margarita. This time... with fresh squeezed lime juice...

...just remember...

"Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free." John 8:32.

Congrats. I imagine it had to be difficult for you to come out in '96. I came out in the early 2000's after college and was paranoid people would freak out, but it was really nothing. I feel lucky for that. I've known several people who've had to deal with difficult family situations (including one that was kicked out of the house while still in high school). I'm fortunate to have a fairly secular family, so there was no religious brainwashing in our house growing up.

Archived