Galveston Hitting It Off

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
As for losing shoreline... its a barrier island.. of course its gonna move. Thats what they do. If your concerned sign up with the Galveston Bay Society and go plant some sea grass on the bayside.

The WEST end is eroding. The EAST end is ecreting. The State of Texas has historical maps showing both the erosion and the growth on the East end. Quite interesting what they predict it will look like in 50 years.

• 3 weeks later...
The WEST end is eroding.  The EAST end is ecreting.  The State of Texas has historical maps showing both the erosion and the growth on the East end.  Quite interesting what they predict it will look like in 50 years.

Yeah, its all part of littoral drift. Do you have a link to the pics you mentioned?

• 2 months later...

Hunter,

It may be of interest to you that by law - all buildings over a certain height must be built to withstand a strong hurricane (Catagory 4 ~ I believe), and are tested in windtunnels - before construction ever starts.

I understand your concern with the new projects going up in Galveston not being sound buildings - and if a Cat. 5 ever rolled over the island again! then not much would probably survive. That is an unfortunate reality that people on the island need to keep in mind.

It may be worth your while to check out the Chronicles Hurricane Info, in recent evaluations of our coastal areas, some federal and state agencies have come up with simulations in which all of Galveston (county as well) are flood by a storm surge from a strong hurricane, this information dosent bode well for island residents, but hopefully it will convince developers to consider losing there property the next time "the big one" rolls through and thus construct more solid and lasting structures.

also - the exterior cladding of a building (modern) has little to do with the structural stability, unless its concrete --- as most steel frame buildings have there structure hidden by needless layers of glass and granite.

Also,

Most condo towers located on coastlines are designed for sustainable damage.

In strong hurricane, the building is expected to sustain severe damage to the glass facades facing the sea, but the bulding itself won't come down event in Cat 5. Maybe some concrete or stucco pannels will come off, but that easy to replace too. Many of the Pallisade Palms units will not be permanent residences and will most probably be rented out when the owner do not use them. Some owner may never used them just have them as investment. Many of times these units will have generic hotel type furniture that can be easily replaced after a storm.

Developers and the owners must figure that a large storm can happen, therefore make the building easily recoverable.

The subdivision going up on the west end with typical beach homes is another story. They probably can handle a normal storm surge and average winds, but the cat 4 and 5 storms is a risk they are taking.

It just a factor of life. The largest population shifts in the las census was a movement toward coastline and coastal areas. This trend has been occuring for years. As other markets get pricier, galveston becomes a good alternative. The water off Gaveston isn't much different than the water off of the Alabama Coast in Gulf Shores. The beachers are better in Alabama, but that can be generated by hauling in the sand you want.

As for West end deterioration, often jetties and grass planting is used in Louisiana to restore barrier islands. Galvest has many jetties in place and probably needs some more on the west end. Universities in Louisiana have been making progress in studing stronger breeds of grass to plant in coastal areas to strengthen barrier islands. They been having some sucess as I've seen these islands change when I go fishing out there when I make it back home.

Galveston is a much stronger island because of it sheer size. The seawall helps.

• 1 month later...
Oh I have. I read them all. I also remember that in the late 70's the place was undergoing a similar revolution until Alicia Struck. It has taken this long for it to turn around. Now the place has much more development than ever before. One good Hurricane will really hurt the place bad and in time it will recover again. Human memory is short. Most the most part anyway. Oh I do like the idea that it is growing again but I also know that one good storm and the loss to the insurance and maybe life will be great again. The new buildings are not being built like the old ones. They will not withstand even a minor hurricane. They were not designed to.

Minor clarification. New buildings are designed and engineered to a much more stringent code than those built in the 70's & 80's. If you have not seen or heard of the code, try applying for a building permit. You have to drill down 200+ feet with piers. Very expensive construction.

Nevertheless, Galveston is a great market. I've lived in Houston for 30+ years and have always considered Galveston (as have most Houstonians) a second class beach you only visit when you can't afford to go to nicer places (read: Florida, Mexico, etc.) However, the numbers coming out of Galveston are astonishing. These aren't projections or predictions, these are real numbers. Unreal. Truly.

The sound you hear is me knocking on wood.

TNJ

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately, Hakeem on the island looking for property is not good news. It just means an island property owner is about to get screwed. Hakeem rarely turns any of his real estate into a project. He just flips it for a tidy (or obscene) profit. He is every bit the all-star at real estate that he was at basketball.

Yes, I am disapointed in my Cougar brother, Hakeem!

I think he also owns the "World Trade Center" across from MMP.

He was a real arse about the whole deal when he was approaced by the Astros.

Used to. That was classic Hakeem. The Port sold the property to Hakeem for $4 million, payable in 10 yearly installments of $400,000. Two years later, he sold it to Tillman Fertitta for $8 million. Fertitta, of course, turned it into Inn at the Ballpark.

Hakeem invested $800,000 and made $4 million.

Used to.  That was classic Hakeem.  The Port sold the property to Hakeem for $4 million, payable in 10 yearly installments of $400,000.  Two years later, he sold it to Tillman Fertitta for $8 million.  Fertitta, of course, turned it into Inn at the Ballpark.

Hakeem invested $800,000 and made $4 million.

Is he married? Perhaps we can set him up with a nice, historical-renewal project woman. :D

Another project for the seawall!

Seawall seconds?: Rumor has it that island developer Miguel Angel Prida, riding high on strong sales at his 11-story Seawall condominium project still under construction, is planning a second residential development nearby.

Prida, who could not be reached for comment, is developer of the $14 million Ocean Grove, 9420 Seawall Blvd. Sources say he purchased land just west of Ocean Grove for a second multi-family project. Stay tuned...

http://galvestondailynews.com/story.lasso?...06d8912fdf0c9fd

Progress on Ocean Grove July 12th 2005

july2012th8zr.jpg

july12th3rp.jpg

fotoedif9re.jpg

Not a fan of the design but it has the solid, conservative design that goes over well with people wanting a beachfront address. It looks every bit like the generic condos built along the Florida Coast from 1970 to 1990. Those sold like gangbusters. An efficient if not asthetically pleasing design, at least IMHO.

I agree, he could of "jazzed" it up a bit. These two are a couple of blocks east of this building on Seawall Blvd, and they kind of resemble this condo, imo.

bysea0ua.jpg

seawall86yn.jpg

Retail center finally hooks national chains

By Laura Elder

The Daily News

Published August 14, 2005

Changing Perceptions

Unlike Friendswood or League City, where phenomenal residential growth is fueling commercial and retail development, Galveston can be a tough sell to national chains. Some retailers see the island as a city that bustles in the summer and sleeps in the winter...

http://galvestondailynews.com/story.lasso?...d434eba8a23592b

Restaurants are cool and all, but DAMNIT can we get some retailers on the island that sell CLOTHES & SHOES. YOU KNOW, BASIC NECESSITIES EVERY HUMAN BEING NEEDS!! You can dine on everything from Vietnamese to West Indian dishes here, but you can't buy a decent pair of shoes. <_< Thank goodness Palais Royal went out on a limb and bet on the island...

Restaurants are cool and all, but DAMNIT can we get some retailers on the island that sell CLOTHES & SHOES.  YOU KNOW, BASIC NECESSITIES EVERY HUMAN BEING NEEDS!!  You can dine on everything from Vietnamese to West Indian dishes here, but you can't buy a decent pair of shoes. <_<  Thank goodness Palais Royal went out on a limb and bet on the island...

lol.

I joke, but it is seriously that bad here. I hate that when I want to pick up something new, I have to make an all day event out of going to Texas City or League City. I would give my right arm for some of the places you guys complain about to even consider the island. I remember about 6 or 7 years ago when we finally got a MOVIE THEATRE AND MUSIC STORE FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!! It's like I live in Ponder, Tx with a beach. I love it here, but day by day I begin to realize Galveston is not for Galvestonians.

I joke, but it is seriously that bad here.  I hate that when I want to pick up something new, I have to make an all day event out of going to Texas City or League City.  I would give my right arm for some of the places you guys complain about to even consider the island.  I remember about 6 or 7 years ago when we finally got a MOVIE THEATRE AND MUSIC STORE FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!  It's like I live in Ponder, Tx with a beach.  I love it here, but day by day I begin to realize Galveston is not for Galvestonians.

Yeah, the city does seem like it is mostly catered to tourist that only come on weekends. Hopefully the new Piazza Blanca will have some new retail that were showcased in the renderings but the island needs more than that.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know what happened to Tillman Fertitta's proposed redevelopment of the hotel out over the water on the pier ( the name of it escapes me at the moment)? It looks as if it has already been renovated and painted. Tillman's plans included a Roller Coaster, boardwalk games, carousel, etc. Anyone know if the project is still planned?

• 1 year later...
Another project for the seawall!

fotoedif9re.jpg

I personally think the architect did a great job. You can tell that he probably was thinking of ocean waves when he made it. That's true art.

With that said, anyone seen these in person?

Archived