METRORail Northwest Line?

SaintCyr

Has there ever been talk of putting a Metro line in to the NW? Maybe bordering the Heights and heading out towards 290? Just a question, I know they have their hands full now with all the other line but I'm looking 5-10 years out.

Has there ever been talk of putting a Metro line in to the NW? Maybe bordering the Heights and heading out towards 290? Just a question, I know they have their hands full now with all the other line but I'm looking 5-10 years out.

It might take that long to get the children in charge to stop bickering long enough to actually discuss it, but yes, there's been a lot of talk about it.

http://www.metrosolutions.org/go/doc/1068/275137/

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6651076.html

• 2 weeks later...

That's weird... why isn't the US90A commuter rail route going all the way to Sugar Land?? No sense in building it if it's not going to serve the highest population area.

It will eventually get there, and as it has been discussed on other threads, there has to be a way to go FROM downtown. Not the entire population of SL works exclusively at TMC or DT.

Tom Delay was willing to fund light rail if it served SL (his district), but when metro declined and showed him his plans, he retaliated.

If he would have helped the city properly, you might have gotten a better way into the city in only a couple of years.

That's weird... why isn't the US90A commuter rail route going all the way to Sugar Land?? No sense in building it if it's not going to serve the highest population area.

...because Ft. Bend County and Harris County aren't yet playing nice together.

Tom Delay was willing to fund light rail if it served SL (his district), but when metro declined and showed him his plans, he retaliated.

Fake story, but it isn't unusual for people to pull stuff out of their rear on the internet.

Fake story, but it isn't unusual for people to pull stuff out of their rear on the internet.

Sorry, but I heard it from one of the local news channels a number of years ago, so if you call it fake, go ahead.

Burn in hell, Delay.

Sorry, but I heard it from one of the local news channels a number of years ago, so if you call it fake, go ahead.

Burn in hell, Delay.

Sure. Or from wikiquotes. Just like with the racist statements 'heard a few years ago' and blamed on Rush Limbaugh that when finally a source was traced it turns out he never said it.

Just another political urban myth repeated among liberals that soon is considered fact, because, you know, everybody's heard about it.

Sure. Or from wikiquotes. Just like with the racist statements 'heard a few years ago' and blamed on Rush Limbaugh that when finally a source was traced it turns out he never said it.

Just another political urban myth repeated among liberals that soon is considered fact, because, you know, everybody's heard about it.

Surprising that you're calling me a lib considering I'm a conservative. Nice leap to the racial thing that limbaugh said considering that wasn't part of the conversation, nor did I even look it up on wiki quotes.

It wasn't I "heard" its what was REPORTED on a news station. I can't cite it worth a damn and admit to that, but if you can prove that its a fake quote, then by all means.

Surprising that you're calling me a lib considering I'm a conservative. Nice leap to the racial thing that limbaugh said considering that wasn't part of the conversation, nor did I even look it up on wiki quotes.

It wasn't I "heard" its what was REPORTED on a news station. I can't cite it worth a damn and admit to that, but if you can prove that its a fake quote, then by all means.

I didn't call you anything, but rather simply explained a process. The post wasn't about race, but how political urban myths are created. Wave the victim flag much?

And while local news is better than national, I wouldn't take at a face value anything political that a reporter says. Especially someone like Miya Shay, for example. DeLay's opposition to light rail was philosophical, he didn't think it was cost effective compared to bus. It was also because he didn't trust Metro, and rightly so, because they had been so dishonest and secretive about so much, beyond just fiscal matters. That was pre-Frank Wilson, when Metro was led by a woman with ethical issues, one of which would lead to her exit. But Delay did say that if the voters approved the 2003 vote (not certain about the year, but it was the one with the 'Westpark' term on the ballot) he would quit blocking funds. They did, he did. Relations were aided by Mayor White making changes at Metro and bringing somewhat of a new atmosphere where the agency was more forthright in its statments. Though some of that openness has slipped recently. Hopefully Brown, Parker, or Locke will do a similar housecleaning.

• 7 months later...

I'd like to bump this thread, but get it back on track.

NORTHWEST RAIL (not sugar land. not politics.)

I look at the Metro map now and I see a big void in one of the most densely populate portions of Houston... 290 is about to be torn apart for expansion for the exurbs to get to work faster. I'd like to see a rail line through Near NW. I'm not talking about a commuter rail to Hempstead, but a regular Metro line inside the Beltway.

And if 'they' don't want it in the Heights or Garden Oaks, that's fine, as I'm sure the Greater Inwood Area would be happy to see it... (realistically, it would be on Shepherd, but that would take it too close to Northline, so the next best is probably TC Jester... (up to Pinemont or Tidwell.)

I'll hang up and listen.

I'd like to bump this thread, but get it back on track.

NORTHWEST RAIL (not sugar land. not politics.)

I look at the Metro map now and I see a big void in one of the most densely populate portions of Houston... 290 is about to be torn apart for expansion for the exurbs to get to work faster. I'd like to see a rail line through Near NW. I'm not talking about a commuter rail to Hempstead, but a regular Metro line inside the Beltway.

And if 'they' don't want it in the Heights or Garden Oaks, that's fine, as I'm sure the Greater Inwood Area would be happy to see it... (realistically, it would be on Shepherd, but that would take it too close to Northline, so the next best is probably TC Jester... (up to Pinemont or Tidwell.)

I'll hang up and listen.

There's not enough employment density in that direction. Higher priority routes would stick close to 290 or to I-45, accessible to dense clusters of retailers and office buildings. At some point in the distant future, there may also be justification for a crosstown route connecting north and west Houston; that's where you might hold out some hope, but the Beltway will probably be so built-up by that point that any realistic alignment would probably be fairly close to it.

not enough employment density... makes sense. but wouldn't that also apply to the east end and northline? who works between DT and Northline? who works on the East End?

there is some population density on the east end, but not as much as near-northwest... and i don't think there is as much employment there (if the east end line went further out, yes.)

i dunno... i guess i'm spoiled by all the trips to DC. i know houston is bigger than the DC/MD/VA area, but I can't see how the plan we have in place makes any sense...

Main St to Northline makes sense.

University makes sense.

Neither Southeast or East end, in the current config makes sense.

Having NO option north in the NW quadrant between i-10 & i-45 makes even less sense... i guess that hempstead hwy toll needs to be paid for first or whatever.

not enough employment density... makes sense. but wouldn't that also apply to the east end and northline? who works between DT and Northline? who works on the East End?

there is some population density on the east end, but not as much as near-northwest... and i don't think there is as much employment there (if the east end line went further out, yes.)

i dunno... i guess i'm spoiled by all the trips to DC. i know houston is bigger than the DC/MD/VA area, but I can't see how the plan we have in place makes any sense...

Main St to Northline makes sense.

University makes sense.

Neither Southeast or East end, in the current config makes sense.

Having NO option north in the NW quadrant between i-10 & i-45 makes even less sense... i guess that hempstead hwy toll needs to be paid for first or whatever.

There are quite a few employmers in the east end as well as a workforce that commutes to the south and west.

Baker Hughes and quite a few oil related firms off of Polk and Maxwell House come to mind.

I know there is also a number of small industries and some ship channel related businesses.

I wished that there is a minor trolly or BRT for a quick jaunt to the ship channel area that could be brought online in 10 or so years.

As far as the southeast line goes, there may be only a few big employers there, but there are quite a few people that do commute, but don't forget that the UH and TSU traffic is starting to be a nightmare.

There are quite a few employmers in the east end as well as a workforce that commutes to the south and west.

Baker Hughes and quite a few oil related firms off of Polk and Maxwell House come to mind.

I know there is also a number of small industries and some ship channel related businesses.

I wished that there is a minor trolly or BRT for a quick jaunt to the ship channel area that could be brought online in 10 or so years.

As far as the southeast line goes, there may be only a few big employers there, but there are quite a few people that do commute, but don't forget that the UH and TSU traffic is starting to be a nightmare.

http://offthekuff.com/wp/?p=28255

Have you guys seen this, it has a really good presentation too

employment density map

• The title was changed to METRORail Northwest Line?

Archived