Montrose Cited As Great U.S. Neighborhood

OkieEric

From American Planning Association:

One of Houston's original streetcar suburbs, Montrose has a sliver of everything. Eclectic and urbane, the neighborhood is a fusion of architectural styles, land uses, and people (former residents include President Lyndon Johnson and billionaire Howard Hughes). The neighborhood has a thriving art, museum, and cultural scene, and local businesses. It has been the center of Houston's gay and lesbian community since the 1970s. The neighborhood retains much of its early 20th century character: one-third of the city's historic districts are here.

Link

Chron article

I'm not sure how noteworthy this list is, but nice for Montrose to get some recognition. Wasn't it named one of the most walkable neighorhoods in the U.S. last year (or year before)?

Some of those chron commenters really need to get out more...

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't think of one museum in the Montrose, but since the Museum District is so close I will cut them some slack.

The Menil and HCP are the only I can think of. Montrose Boulevard deadends in the Museum District. It's a really short walk from Montrose to the museums.

I noticed that on the Niko Nikos segment the other night, Guy mentioned the Montrose. Don't think he called it 'off the hook', or whatever, but he definitely gave a shout out to the neighborhood.

yay for Houston, and of of my favorite places, anywhere!

Just out of curiosity, I'm going to have to look at the NOLA paper and see if people there talk about the Marigny the same way the Chron trogs talk about the Montrose here.

The Menil and HCP are the only I can think of. Montrose Boulevard deadends in the Museum District. It's a really short walk from Montrose to the museums.

I used to live next to Menil, but that's getting close to the edge of Montrose IMO if not outside of it. The Printing History Museum is a little too far north...

Inoticed that on the Niko Nikos segment the other night, Guy mentionedthe Montrose. Don't think he called it 'off the hook', or whatever, buthe definitely gave a shout out to the neighborhood.

Yeah he said something like "Niko Nikos is in Montrose close to downtown, the medical center, and the Galleria..." I kind of raised by eyebrow but its all in good fun!

I used to live next to Menil, but that's getting close to the edge of Montrose IMO if not outside of it. The Printing History Museum is a little too far north...

Yeah he said something like "Niko Nikos is in Montrose close to downtown, the medical center, and the Galleria..." I kind of raised by eyebrow but its all in good fun!

Both of those museums are within the boundaries of Montrose

The Menil and the Houston Center for Photography are both definitely in Montrose. They both even have the 006 zip. The borders for Montrose (and there's some wiggle room here) are 59 to the south, the spur/Bagby to the east, West Gray to the north and Shepherd to the west. There are smaller subdivisions within the larger neighborhood, but they're still most certainly Montrose. The Printing History Museum is definitely out of Montrose though. That's kinda an undefined neighborhood. I wouldn't know what exactly to call that area. North Montrose? NoMo?

Close is relative, I suppose. Living inside the loop, three miles is a long way. The Galleria is only like six or seven miles from Downtown, and even less from Niko Nikos.

The Menil and the Houston Center for Photography are both definitely in Montrose. They both even have the 006 zip. The borders for Montrose (and there's some wiggle room here) are 59 to the south, the spur/Bagby to the east, West Gray to the north and Shepherd to the west. There are smaller subdivisions within the larger neighborhood, but they're still most certainly Montrose. The Printing History Museum is definitely out of Montrose though. That's kinda an undefined neighborhood. I wouldn't know what exactly to call that area. North Montrose? NoMo?

I guess I mixed up the north side with Neartown's borders? Is there a difference? I don't even know... A lot of the development up there north of W Gray has been termed "North Montrose" on here - didn't know if it's really distinct enough to call it's own neighborhood. I just assumed it goes up to Allen Parkway

A lot of the comments on chron have gotten pretty nasty. I'm going to assume it's mostly folks in the 'burbs

Edit: This has already been discussed on swamplot

A lot of the comments on chron have gotten pretty nasty. I'm going to assume it's mostly folks in the 'burbs

90354cea-aa14-4320-adec-2dbea4193dca.Small.jpg friends.gif(68) 2brickshyaload wrote: Lets ask a question.....

A drug addict shares a needle and catches HIV. A mosquito lands on an HIV positive person, sticks it’s needle in that person, gets a little blood, is swatted off and lands on a non infected person sticks that person within seconds and the virus CAN’T be spread in that fashion???? You want me to BELIEVE THAT?

If the medical community came out with this as a possible scenario, there would be a different tolerance level. YA THINK? I have heard the argument that the virus can’t be spread like that…..to that I say prove it….go in a lab and volunteer to stick your arm in a glass box of mosquitoes along with a HIV carrier like in those old OFF! commercials!

Any volunteers, anyone, anyone Buelar? anyone.....no takers huh? I thought so.

I haven't bothered to read any of their comments, but I imagine they go a little something like this:

montrose-neighborhood-map.jpg

"Here there be dragons, gay dragons."

The insults would be more welcome if they were less predictable.

90354cea-aa14-4320-adec-2dbea4193dca.Small.jpg friends.gif(68) 2brickshyaload wrote: Lets ask a question.....

A drug addict shares a needle and catches HIV. A mosquito lands on an HIV positive person, sticks it’s needle in that person, gets a little blood, is swatted off and lands on a non infected person sticks that person within seconds and the virus CAN’T be spread in that fashion???? You want me to BELIEVE THAT?

If the medical community came out with this as a possible scenario, there would be a different tolerance level. YA THINK? I have heard the argument that the virus can’t be spread like that…..to that I say prove it….go in a lab and volunteer to stick your arm in a glass box of mosquitoes along with a HIV carrier like in those old OFF! commercials!

"They got them there homo skeeters in Montrose! I know me some skyans.. skense.. how do you say that word?.. Ess-See-Eye-Ee-In-See-Ee? Science?"

It has a completely different character. I think some people will back me up on this.

Agreed. In NoMo, You're more likely to find an AWP carrying a chihuahua in her purse than an angsty teenager wearing skinny jeans, a white belt and a tight black t-shirt.

NoMo = River Oaks Lite

Agreed. In NoMo, You're more likely to find an AWP carrying a chihuahua in her purse than an angsty teenager wearing skinny jeans, a white belt and a tight black t-shirt.

NoMo = River Oaks Lite

I drive thought quite a bit and I just don't see it - outside of some of the new "luxury" complexes, the streets north and south of W Gray are largely indistinguishable. Heck if that's the definition then the entire River Oaks shopping area is out, and I've always considered that part of Montrose.

I drive thought quite a bit and I just don't see it - outside of some of the new "luxury" complexes, the streets north and south of W Gray are largely indistinguishable. Heck if that's the definition then the entire River Oaks shopping area is out, and I've always considered that part of Montrose.

I consider that part of River Oaks.

I consider that part of River Oaks.

Honestly, I would too for the feel of it (and heck, the name) but I always see Shepherd listed as the boundary between the two areas... Man, with all of these cuts we'll soon just be left with the Montrose/Westheimer intersection - no wonder so many of the chron.com readers think it's a craphole

It has a completely different character. I think some people will back me up on this.

There are neighborhoods with old bungalows and such in "North Montrose." I don't think it's that dissimilar in character to the lower parts of Montrose. There is also the argument for continuity, since Montrose as a street name ends roughly at Allen Pkwy. Granted, north of Gray is not the heart of Montrose, but I think it would be more confusing to call the area River Oaks.

Absolutely amazing. But honestly, I'm thrilled if a little fear keeps such ignorant people away from Montrose. I would support a "keep Montrose edgy" or "keep Montrose sketchy" campaign. If the suburbanites are scared of Montrose, then you know the area is still cool. And although I've never once felt unsafe in the area, I'd happily reinforce their notion that it's a dangerous place teaming with prostitutes and HIV-carrying mosquitoes. I've even heard the mosquitoes there may turn you gay.

Absolutely amazing. But honestly, I'm thrilled if a little fear keeps such ignorant people away from Montrose. I would support a "keep Montrose edgy" or "keep Montrose sketchy" campaign.

I saw a "Keep Montrose Queered" bumpersticker a while back. A nice change of pace from "Keep Austin Weird". :)

The New Yorker is correct. Here are the office Montrose borders. http://www.houstontx...use/sn24lu.html

Uh, and Oh, River Oaks Shopping Center is in, um - you got it - Montrose.

Those are the boundaries of "Super Neighborhood 24 - Neartown-Montrose" which may or may not be the same thing as "Montrose". I should think that when people say they are "in the Montrose" they may or may not be referring to the boundaries of "Super Neighborhood 24 - Neartown-Montrose", but chances are good that they are probably not. Just because a council was formed for a certain Super Neighborhood area does not mean that's the commonly-accepted boundaries of the neighborhoods common name, in this case Montrose.

Let me drive the point home.

Super-Neighborhood 24 lists the following neighborhoods as contained within it:

Neighborhoods
  • North Montrose
  • Hyde Park
  • Dearborn
  • Saint Thomas
  • Montrose
  • Avondale
  • Westover
  • Fairview
  • Mandell Place
  • Winlow Place
  • Cherryhurst

Hence Montrose is considered a neighborhood within SN24, QED.

FWIW--I think the heart of Montrose today is Hyde Park and Montrose. Pretty hard to say with a straight face that the bungalows just on the other side of Gray less than half a mile away aren't really Montrose (especially when the neighborhood is only one of two neighborhoods listed above as "Montrose").

Those are the boundaries of "Super Neighborhood 24 - Neartown-Montrose" which may or may not be the same thing as "Montrose". I should think that when people say they are "in the Montrose" they may or may not be referring to the boundaries of "Super Neighborhood 24 - Neartown-Montrose", but chances are good that they are probably not. Just because a council was formed for a certain Super Neighborhood area does not mean that's the commonly-accepted boundaries of the neighborhoods common name, in this case Montrose.

Let me drive the point home.

Super-Neighborhood 24 lists the following neighborhoods as contained within it:

Hence Montrose is considered a neighborhood within SN24, QED.

That neighborhood listed as "Montrose" on your list is probably referring to WAMM on this map:

montrose-neighborhood-map.jpg

I think when most people refer to Montrose or The 'Trose, they refer to everything on this map except for North Montrose and not only WAMM (not entirely sure what that stands for).

Archived