My Short Stay In Houston

kzseattle

I moved to Houston from Seattle about 7 months ago and, like many new comers, arrived with many misconceptions and negative notions about this town. Fortunately, I soon found this forum and with its help, as well as after exploring the city myself, I was quickly able to see beyond it flaws and appreciate it many gems. As the forum kept me informed about Houston

Guest danax

Sorry to see you go, KZ. I enjoyed seeing another West coast guy discover and enjoy living here.

So, are you really just trying to get back to Seattle before the summer hits? ;)

kz, i hope when things settle down with your re-relocation you revisit haif and tell us what's up in seattle. 7 months does not seem like such a long time, but hopefully you had the opportunity to enjoy the best here and not get bogged down by the rest. i have enjoyed your posts, and hope to see you here again.

deb martin

Well I certainly don't feel sorry for you, going back to Seattle. Just kidding. It's one of my favorite cities in the world.

Also your opening statement is exactly what happened to me upon my move to Houston. All of the misconceptions I had were smashed and I fell in love with this town.

Sorry to see you go but hey, Seattle aint bad. Good luck.

good luck kz, i was very surprised to hear you only lived here for 7 months, i always found your posts insightful and i'm pretty sure you know more about houston than i do, and i've been here for years!

Sorry to see you go, KZ. I enjoyed seeing another West coast guy discover and enjoy living here.

So, are you really just trying to get back to Seattle before the summer hits? ;)

You know, because of the timing of my move, many people tell me the same thing :) I actually wanted to experience the "notorious" summer here to see really how bad it is. I can tell you this though. I recently went to Florida and I actually felt relieved when I returned to Houston. It was really hot and humid down there compared to Houston yet, somehow, Houston's heat seem to get a lot more attention. I am sure it is going to get worst in summer but then I guess it is going to get worst in Florida and other southern states as well.

While I hate to see you go, it's good to know that Houston will have an informed and able ambassador in Seattle. Spread the word!

Oh I have been spreading the word. As I mentioned it in another post, I convinced a couple of friends in Dallas to visit me here and they too came with a few misconceptions. However, after having seen the town and experienced its nightlife, one of them is seriously contemplating moving down here because he thought there was more to do here :)

Good luck on the move back. It's great the way you've been so open to a city that at times has not the greatest rep. Just because you move doesn't mean you still can't hang around the board!

Btw, I know I'm in a minority on this, but I love the summer here! It is my favorite season. :)

good luck in your move back! sorry to see you go.

just curious kzseattle, i was just surfing the net and happened to stumble across this site. Were you the author of this site? He called him self qzseattle and was moving down to Houston approximately the same time you did.

See post on 09/20/04 9:22 pm

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect....=1&tid=34529867

Guest danax
Btw, I know I'm in a minority on this, but I love the summer here!  It is my favorite season.  :)

Yep. Me too and, kz, I'm thinking you'd probably have ended up going" it's not that bad" and realizing it's just another overblown aspect of life here, unless you're quite a bit overweight. I know that overweight people really have a hard time with the heat and humidity but "normal" weight people, who are often called skinny these days, can usually deal with it just fine.

I know in the summer I look forward to leaving my freezing office and walking out into the lush outside air. Actually the office I'm in now I have my own thermostat so I'm comfortable but, in the past, it seems that everyone else wants it so cold that I end up wanting to wear gloves. Anyone else had that problem?

Reading all the well wishers and responses from the great people of Houston to kz is a gentle reminder of why I think Houston and its people create one great city. I, too, like summers in Houston. I love the blue water in the pool and the bar-b-que in the back yard.

Spread the good word about Houston an maybe we'll get some more transplants. It already seems like people from everywhere else in the country is moving here.

I have some friends that live in Seattle, but I never been there yet. I really want to go see the city.

Hey KZseattle,

We are taking our summer vacation in Seattle this July, our first time there. I would appreciate any advice you can offer, and would even love to join you for a cup of coffee up there if that's possible!!

I'm jealous!!! i just got back from a two-week stay in Seattle. Loved it. Could live there, no problem. It's progressive, liberal isn't a bad word - it seems to be the norm, tolerant, non-redneck, and beautiful. Loved it!!! Stayed at Hotel Monaco and only rented a car for two days when we ventured out of the city, walked, took the monorail, ferry, taxis, and buses every other day. It's a rrevelation to be in a city that walks the walk instead of just talking the talk like here in Houston. Seattle built multi-hundred million dollar staduims AND a multi-hundred million dollar library! It has one of the highest rates of recycling of any city. You know all of this so I won't go on. I literally ran into an old Houston friend on Pike Street one night. He moved there two years ago and feels like he's in heaven. Did I mention that it's beautiful? I was born here in Houston and take it from me, Summer here SUCKS! You're leaving just in time. Take Care.

Hey KZseattle,

We are taking our summer vacation in Seattle this July, our first time there.  I would appreciate any advice you can offer, and would even love to join you for a cup of coffee up there if that's possible!!

I truly appreciate responses and well wishing from all of you guys! I would surely stick around on this forum since things seem to be happening in Houston at such a fast paced that it would be exciting to continue learning about the new developments.

tierwestah: yes, you are right. I used to be active on fodors before I found this site as that was my main source of information about Houston. Thank for posting that link! I surely giggled at some of the questions I asked at that time; they now appear so naive!

danax: strangely enough, I actually lost weight after moving to Houston! I hope I dont gain it back after returning to Seattle! And, yes, you are right about the ACs. In many places around Houston, it is so cold I actually feel relieved when I am outside again.

ltawas: its a tad bit risky to quit my current job to be able to stay in Houston. :)

kjb434: regarding spreading the good word, that friend of mine who recently visited from Dallas has officially decided to relocate to Houston. So we just got one more convert :D

jtmbin: yes, no doubt, Seattle is beautiful. I was in Seattle recently as well and weather was nice and so it's really pretty out there. My primary gripe about that town is high cost of living. About non-rednecks, a friend of mine in Houston shocked me today when he told me he got stuck in a KKK parade going on in the town of Enumclaw on his way to Mt. Rainier. I hope thats an exception! :unsure:

2112: my primary advice - dont forget the umbrella! just kidding :P I would be happy to give you advice if you could PM me or email with any specific questions you may have. And sure, we could meet for a cup of joe!

Archived