01-25-2008091719AM-large.jpg

http://feasthouston.com

Have you guys eaten here yet?

[Feast] has "no real peer in New York, Chicago, Los Angeles and other major cities that pride themselves on their epicurean adventurousness."

Frank Bruni, The New York Times

"Try it. We promise that it's delicious."

Bon Appetit Magazine

"Better hurry up and order some beef heart or tongue and testicles in green sauce before the lines get too long."

Houston Press, Best Restaurant 2009

I recently tried it for my birthday dinner. They have a menu of Feast Favorites that they always keep around, but otherwise the menu is changing every day. For $49 they'll give you a 9 course tasting meal, and some of those courses are going to feel like a whole meal. Here was my experience.

Chilled Almond Soup

This was great. Almond, garlic, some cream, some ground up bread andsome other stuff all mixed really well. It was very thick and justdelicious.

Brawn and Picalilli

Head meat from a pig. This was hard to appreciate because it was reallysalty and cold. It wasn't terrible, but my least favorite thing.

Rillettes

This was like ground up pork that was really light and fluffy. Thistasted really good, sort of like bacon with a completely differenttexture.

Smoked Salmon

Typical thin sliced smoked salmon with a few capers and etc on the side. It was fine.

Smoked Snapper, Spinach and a Fried Egg

This was great! It was a thick piece of smoked snapper that had a lotof flavor cooked into it. The egg went great with it, but the spinachwas pretty forgettable.

Borscht with Smoked Pork Shoulder

I really liked this. This was a huge bowl of thick borscht with bigslices of heavily braised pork shoulder in it. This was a full meal byitself so I had to stop myself 1/4 of the way in and ask the waitressto box it, because there were more courses.

Braised Oxtail, Mashed Potatoes and a Carrot

Of course I was starting to get a little full when I'm served the best course of the night. This was amazing! The oxtail just fell off thebone and the sauce it was in was so amazing. I tasted fennel, leeks,tomato, beef stock, gosh this sauce was really really good and the meatwas just flooring me. I had about ten bites and then had to box thattoo, because again they had served me a full meal in 1 course. Thepotatoes and even the roasted carrot were really good.

Sorbet

It was a lemon Italian Ice, basically.

Bread and Butter Pudding

UNNNNGGGGGHHHHH this was so good! The simple way of putting it was thatit was a bread pudding with a butter cream sauce, but WOW they hadreally elevated it! The waitress said it had whiskey and bourbon and Iforget what else in it. Delicious.

This meal took about 3 hours and I left with a small armada of doggy bags. $49 fed me for days.

Here's Wednesday's daily specials menu, to get an idea

Chicken, Kale and Red Potato Soup $7.95

Scottish Smoked Salmon $9.95

Roast Bone Marrow with a Parsley Salad $8.45

Mussels with White Wine and Garlic $9.25

Pork Rillettes $8.45

A Chicken Onion $8.45

Rabbit Liver and Kidneys $8.45

Breast of Wild Boar, Bell Pepper Caponata and Broccoli $26.96

Rabbit Braised with Parsnips and Grapes, Garlic Rutabaga and Mustard Greens $26.95

Mahi and Snapper, Zucchini, Kale and Roasted Tomatoes $24.95

Calf’s Liver and Bacon, Mashed Potatoes, Spinach and Onion Gravy $20.95

Smoked Snapper, Spinach and Fried Eggs $20.95

Stuffed Eggplant with Lentils, Tomatoes and Cheese $17.95

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't tell you how long I have searched for a restaurant that served Rabbit Liver and Kidneys. wink.gif

Yeah, how weird, wacky and wild that they'd have the chutzpah to serve something other than cow/chicken/pig.

I've been there a couple times, and I have yet to be disappointed. The food was outstanding both times, and even food that sounded disgusting tasted great. Feast is a real gem, and probably the best bang for your buck anywhere in the US.

been a couple of times....888 chinese menu is way more tasty than feast. feast is very wannabe.

How so? Is it "wannabe" to serve delicious traditional European fare at reasonable prices? And, are you really comparing Feast to yet another indistiguishable Chinese joint? If so, I hear Jack In The Box's eggrolls are "way more tasty" than 888. Please.

Yours is a peculiar critique.

nah the crowd makes it a wannabe place. no i'm not comparing it to an indistinguishable chinese joint. the unique meats are great.

Well, I've only been a couple times, but neither time was the place teeming with the Pub Fiction overflow crowd. I guess I just don't understand why anything about the place is "wannabe" in your book. I think people go to Feast because the food is genuinely great, and it's at a good price. The place is very low key, and not exactly a mecca for yuppie douchebags, unless those yuppie douchebags just so happen to have discerning paletes. Perhaps your definition of wannabe is different than mine. Maybe you mean, "Those people wannabe eatin' some good food so they go to Feast. Yep, they wannabe eatin' some good ol' food."

Well, I've only been a couple times, but neither time was the place teeming with the Pub Fiction overflow crowd. I guess I just don't understand why anything about the place is "wannabe" in your book. I think people go to Feast because the food is genuinely great, and it's at a good price. The place is very low key, and not exactly a mecca for yuppie douchebags, unless those yuppie douchebags just so happen to have discerning paletes. Perhaps your definition of wannabe is different than mine. Maybe you mean, "Those people wannabe eatin' some good food so they go to Feast. Yep, they wannabe eatin' some good ol' food."

I don't understand Musicman's objection to it. I've known a number of people that have gone and have enjoyed the food. I'm quite adventurous enough to go there, but I would keep an open mind as I scan the menu (which changes) for anything that would seem promising.

888 is okay, but it's not the end all to chinese food in the Houston Area.

• 2 months later...

Feast got some massive pork chops from a local farm.

48481186.jpg

Mmmmm...animals. Since I'm stuck at home for now, this just inspired me to smoke some animal parts this weekend. Too bad there's no damn college football to watch, not that we have much time for that.

Mmmmm...animals. Since I'm stuck at home for now, this just inspired me to smoke some animal parts this weekend. Too bad there's no damn college football to watch, not that we have much time for that.

Wow, that chop look pretty damn good. Nice and fatty. I bet the vegans will go batshit crazy over this place.

I 2nd that, Bryan.

Any former curiosity I may have had about the place just went bye-bye with those photos.

I can't even eat fish if it still looks like a fish.

[ Dammit, Why isn't there a puking emoticon ]

There are plenty of other dishes on the menu besides cow head and whole pig. You'll have an amazing meal whatver it is you order.

Archived