Pie In The Sky Company At 632 W. 19th St.

heights_yankee

We ate here last evening about 6 pm...4 of us. There were several other small groups of customers but the restaurant didn't seem packed...and it did seem well staffed...at least 5-6 people...though I heard one of the men behind the counter complaining that they needed more staff...they were too busy.

The food was really good and quite affordable. The restaurant decor is very charming.

Our complaint: the service was sooooo slow. We waited 45 minutes for three hamburgers and a patty melt....and, once arrived, most of our order had mistakes. Quite surprising since you write down your own order for the server, which does feel a little odd. (It's also odd that the server tries to guess who had what when the food arrives...of course, he didn't know because all he did was pick up our paper order.)

One order (patty melt) took another almost 15 minutes to correct. Though they ultimately didn't charge us for this sandwich, it certainly overshadowed our experience...that we were finished with our meals when the last one arrived.

The pies were REALLY good....again it took an extraordinary amount of time to get them though....we were there well over 90 minutes

We'll try again in a few weeks in hopes that they work out the service kinks.

We ate here last evening about 6 pm...4 of us. There were several other small groups of customers but the restaurant didn't seem packed...and it did seem well staffed...at least 5-6 people...though I heard one of the men behind the counter complaining that they needed more staff...they were too busy.

The food was really good and quite affordable. The restaurant decor is very charming.

Our complaint: the service was sooooo slow. We waited 45 minutes for three hamburgers and a patty melt....and, once arrived, most of our order had mistakes. Quite surprising since you write down your own order for the server, which does feel a little odd. (It's also odd that the server tries to guess who had what when the food arrives...of course, he didn't know because all he did was pick up our paper order.)

One order (patty melt) took another almost 15 minutes to correct. Though they ultimately didn't charge us for this sandwich, it certainly overshadowed our experience...that we were finished with our meals when the last one arrived.

The pies were REALLY good....again it took an extraordinary amount of time to get them though....we were there well over 90 minutes

We'll try again in a few weeks in hopes that they work out the service kinks.

Golden,

You should have read my earlier post. After 4 bottles of Old Vine Red Zinfandel, 90 minutes seems to not be important. Nor does the obvious Heights restaurant dilemma of bad service, from heavily pierced, and tattoed space cadets. The place is quaint, and a very nice place to go chill & eat. We will continue to frequent until I can get a date with one of the lesbian servers.... she is HOT! Says she doesn't like guys, but I know she is giving in. Still working on her!!

Golden,

You should have read my earlier post. After 4 bottles of Old Vine Red Zinfandel, 90 minutes seems to not be important. Nor does the obvious Heights restaurant dilemma of bad service, from heavily pierced, and tattoed space cadets. The place is quaint, and a very nice place to go chill & eat. We will continue to frequent until I can get a date with one of the lesbian servers.... she is HOT! Says she doesn't like guys, but I know she is giving in. Still working on her!!

Hanuman, the lesbians are not into you. Get over it! That Zin is not doing you any good!rolleyes.gif

We had the Buffalo Chicken Wraps. Delicious! Heights Yankee is right...Blue is the only way to go.

I thought I'd might have to go back to the kitchen and prep them myself. 20 minutes for a wrap seemed a bit much.

The fill-out-your-ticket thing is weird. (Quaint is not always a good thing). Oh, and tip when you pay your check at the back. I left cash on the table (diner-style), then, got the evil eye when I didn't add tip to my bill at the cashier station.

Glad for their coming to the 'hood. We'll give it time to settle out.

Having "stalked" this place for a couple of months, finally decided to try it with my son today for lunch. I wish I could report the food was good, but I never got that far. After waiting 40 minutes for a burger and chicken tenders, I went to ask. The guy at the counter said they were having a problem with something. Looking around, I was certainly not the only one having this problem. I stressed needing to be out of there in another 25 minutes. A few minutes later he came to my table to tell me that it would be longer so he would refund me my money, but I had not paid yet. He then indicated that it would be another 20-30 minutes! I took that as my cue to split. I really, really want this place to work out. I know they are still working out the kinks, and I will try again. I would just tell the owner that whom ever is in charge really needs to manage problems a bit better. Letting the customers know there is a delay before 40 minutes passes would be a good start.

Having "stalked" this place for a couple of months, finally decided to try it with my son today for lunch. I wish I could report the food was good, but I never got that far. After waiting 40 minutes for a burger and chicken tenders, I went to ask. The guy at the counter said they were having a problem with something. Looking around, I was certainly not the only one having this problem. I stressed needing to be out of there in another 25 minutes. A few minutes later he came to my table to tell me that it would be longer so he would refund me my money, but I had not paid yet. He then indicated that it would be another 20-30 minutes! I took that as my cue to split. I really, really want this place to work out. I know they are still working out the kinks, and I will try again. I would just tell the owner that whom ever is in charge really needs to manage problems a bit better. Letting the customers know there is a delay before 40 minutes passes would be a good start.

Heights restaurant with huge delay and awkward service when it's just opening. Why does this sound familiar?

Heights restaurant with huge delay and awkward service when it's just opening. Why does this sound familiar?

Porch, You want the lesbians for yourself! I knew they were acting strange... O.K., I'll leave them to you, but keep your hands off my Zin! Lol!!

Sounds like Heightsfamily had a bad run... Hmmm I suddenly started hearing that old song in my mind...." So, bye - bye Miss American Pie..."

Or, " Turn out the lights - the party's over....". Both would probably be appropriate.

Mismanagement, and poor business planning. I've seen this broken record before ... wonder why no one learns?

Well, fellow Heights'ers, I'm not going to quit going there just because of these complaints. I can still B.M.O.W., get drunk, and fall on the patio area on a really beautiful night, and be trampled by stalkers of all ilks. What do you guys want... Tony Valone's?

this isn't a "heights restaurant" issue. this is many, many (probably most) new restaurants. there is always a period of working out the kinks, testing the new kitchen, etc... a place at the price point of Pie or Lola will not go through the process of a soft opening because it's not worth it. i've opened several restaurants (in dallas, on staff). i was a great waiter but you never would have known it on a couple of nights in a new restaurant. and that was even after a soft opening...

Porch, You want the lesbians for yourself! I knew they were acting strange... O.K., I'll leave them to you, but keep your hands off my Zin! Lol!!

Sounds like Heightsfamily had a bad run... Hmmm I suddenly started hearing that old song in my mind...." So, bye - bye Miss American Pie..."

Or, " Turn out the lights - the party's over....". Both would probably be appropriate.

Mismanagement, and poor business planning. I've seen this broken record before ... wonder why no one learns?

Well, fellow Heights'ers, I'm not going to quit going there just because of these complaints. I can still B.M.O.W., get drunk, and fall on the patio area on a really beautiful night, and be trampled by stalkers of all ilks. What do you guys want... Tony Valone's?

does Pie have a patio area? or are you discussing Lola here?

this isn't a "heights restaurant" issue. this is many, many (probably most) new restaurants. there is always a period of working out the kinks, testing the new kitchen, etc... a place at the price point of Pie or Lola will not go through the process of a soft opening because it's not worth it. i've opened several restaurants (in dallas, on staff). i was a great waiter but you never would have known it on a couple of nights in a new restaurant. and that was even after a soft opening...

I totally understand soft openings, HY. However Lola seemed to take forever to get it right (have they yet?), and some of the Creeks never seem to...well, get hard. As I said about PitS in a previous post, "Glad for their coming to the 'hood. We'll give it time to settle out."

It's unique to the Heights, because we are victims of the joyful lack of chains. When you open an Applebee's, you've done it 2,000 times. We enjoy the uniqueness and freshness of the food. However, service is key.

I totally understand soft openings, HY. However Lola seemed to take forever to get it right (have they yet?), and some of the Creeks never seem to...well, get hard. As I said about PitS in a previous post, "Glad for their coming to the 'hood. We'll give it time to settle out."

It's unique to the Heights, because we are victims of the joyful lack of chains. When you open an Applebee's, you've done it 2,000 times. We enjoy the uniqueness and freshness of the food. However, service is key.

In this girl's opinion, Lola has worked a lot of it out. Are they flawless? No, but I've paid a lot more at much fancier restaurants and still had dishes come out wrong. It did take a while, but again the didn't have a soft opening. They just hit the ground running- trial by fire. The thing that's great about Lola is that they have really listened to feedback and made changes according to what their customers want.

I think if you want great service in a super casual atmosphere, Big Mamou is the place to go. I don't *love* their food but the staff is so friendly and helpful and go above what anyone should expect from counter service and poboys.

THe service I had at Pie was great. A dish taking a long time and "service" are not necessarily the same thing. Not saying this is the case with some of the experiences recounted here, but your meal can take forever or not even come out, but the waiter can still give you great service. After all, they're not cooking the food KWIM? i've been to Pie 2x and both were good experiences. Great? Not yet but full of promise and that buffalo chicken sandwich alone is enough to go back for :D

In this girl's opinion, Lola has worked a lot of it out. Are they flawless? No, but I've paid a lot more at much fancier restaurants and still had dishes come out wrong. It did take a while, but again the didn't have a soft opening. They just hit the ground running- trial by fire. The thing that's great about Lola is that they have really listened to feedback and made changes according to what their customers want.

I think if you want great service in a super casual atmosphere, Big Mamou is the place to go. I don't *love* their food but the staff is so friendly and helpful and go above what anyone should expect from counter service and poboys.

THe service I had at Pie was great. A dish taking a long time and "service" are not necessarily the same thing. Not saying this is the case with some of the experiences recounted here, but your meal can take forever or not even come out, but the waiter can still give you great service. After all, they're not cooking the food KWIM? i've been to Pie 2x and both were good experiences. Great? Not yet but full of promise and that buffalo chicken sandwich alone is enough to go back for biggrin.gif

O.K., KWIM - Koninklijke West-Indische Maildienst - I wasn't quite prepared for this acronym assault at 10:25pm, but it's very impressive, and as I see it, very proper in this context. If you'll pardon my dull, and intelligently lacking response... you see, I'm still reeling over the lesbian turn-down issues that Porch has confronted me with, but - I will do my best. I wanted to preface my comment by stating that I am a lobsterholic, so I appreciate your hail- from- home, as much as I admire your optimism, and wordsmithery, disconnecting that, service, and, "A dish taking a long time...". If you would, please bear down on the word service, as it relates to waitstaff in a cafe' such as "Pie", and define for me exactly what a waiter/waitress can do for you to deliver service ... other than bring you food, fill water glasses, and make excuses with a smile.

And, "No", Pie does not have a patio, but they ought to. I would use the parking lot, and force patrons to park in the street. Have a folk guitarist ( If they can't find one, I'll sit in ) to serenade away the realization that your food is never coming. Hire straight girls ( No tattoes, or pierced "everything" ) to serve, as per the definition that you are going to provide ( As I've asked nicely), and that way we can hit on them with some possibility of success. Then, my good lady, I could get drunk, fall on the patio, get trampled by an assortment of diverse & happy stalkers, and be a recurring customer. This is the way one builds a good business.

Oh... Almost forgot your other question, that I'll answer with this statement, "Whatever Lola wants ... Lola gets!!

Out of wine ... and good night....

My wife and I tried the food at Pie yesterday (placed a to-go order based on the comments here about the very long wait times sitting in) We each got the buffalo chicken wrap with the fruit sides and my wife got a "side" of fried okra which was actually enough for 3-4 people and a slice of the chocolate peanut butter pie. All the food, especially the pie as I would expect, was excellent and we will be ordering again for sure. I was there around 2:45 (they supposedly close at 3 on Sunday) the place was completely full and at least 2-3 cars pulled in full of people heading in as I left. They did seem disorganized and I saw quite a few people sitting at tables with nothing but some drinks and impatient looks on their faces so hopefully they work out their opening kinks so we can come back and sit down! They were very nice however, they ran out of paper to-go menu's and the owner just told us to take some of the in-house menus since she needed to re-print them anyway to make some updates.

we went for breakfast on sunday. i noticed they had some laminated signs saying "this is how it works." it seems it's supposed to be 75% self service, 25% table service. i hate arrangements like this b/c i know those servers are still working for tips, but i've done most of the leg work. it doesn't seem like Lola where they have food runners b/c the servers at Pie still take your piece of paper with your order on it. i kind of wonder if they won't end up moving to straight service b/c even though they had the new signs, most tables were being waited on, including ours.

we went for breakfast on sunday. i noticed they had some laminated signs saying "this is how it works." it seems it's supposed to be 75% self service, 25% table service. i hate arrangements like this b/c i know those servers are still working for tips, but i've done most of the leg work. it doesn't seem like Lola where they have food runners b/c the servers at Pie still take your piece of paper with your order on it. i kind of wonder if they won't end up moving to straight service b/c even though they had the new signs, most tables were being waited on, including ours.

I agree.

I've been to Pie in the Sky Pie Company three times now and haven't had the bad service that is being described, I just think the ordering process and food delivery could be simplified.

Same thing with Lola though, the walk up and order, then find a table is slightly chaotic, not to mention that when it's packed, the people sitting by the register have folks sitting essentially sitting in their food.

Pie is walkable for me, and the $5 Dad's Plate is completely worth it.

I agree.

I've been to Pie in the Sky Pie Company three times now and haven't had the bad service that is being described, I just think the ordering process and food delivery could be simplified.

Same thing with Lola though, the walk up and order, then find a table is slightly chaotic, not to mention that when it's packed, the people sitting by the register have folks sitting essentially sitting in their food.

Pie is walkable for me, and the $5 Dad's Plate is completely worth it.

I guess the difference for me is that at Lola I don't feel like I have a waiter. My kids make a mess (which I clean as well as I can without a broom and sponge) so I always drop a couple bucks on the table. But at Pie, I feel like I have a waiter and feel compelled to leave a standard tip (for me, after a decade in the service industry, that equals 20%) even though I really waited on myself for the most part. This is just my feeling, not saying it's wrong or right, but I bet there are other people who feel the same way and aren't going to want to tip at Pie, which will result in staff turnover, which will result in perpetual mediocre service. THen again, they must do this at their other location so I guess it does work? But that still begs the question, are the customers and employees the same demographics at each location and have the same expectations from service and money to be made? In the end, only time will tell (but it's still fun to talk about :rolleyes: )

We went to Pie-in-the-Sky for breakfast the week before last. My bottom line review is that the food was "OK," but priced appropriately for breakfast (unlike most other places, especially in the Heights), the service was below adequate, and the wait for food was poor.

During our visit the place was pretty crowded, but we were seated immediately. We were not told what table number we were seated at, nor were we told that we were supposed to fill out our order on a writing pad with our table's number on it which was a basket on our table (plus, we didn't have a pen anyway). Our simple order (2 omelets and two cokes) was taken quickly enough, but we didn't receive our food until 40 minutes later. At no time were we aware that this was a "soft" opening for the restaurant.

Our drinks came quickly enough, but we were never told that we had to get our own refills, in fact, I'm not sure that is even the proper procedure. So, after waiting for 15 minutes for a waiter to come ask me for a refill, I just got up and got my own. Considering the fact that there was literally a ratio of 1 person on wait staff for every 2 customers in the place, this was ridiculous. I agree with heights_yankee that I don't like this type of setup, or at the very least, if you do have this set up, don't expect me to serve myself and then tip you for it. I have worked in the service industry when I was younger, and I would never expect to be tipped 15-20% for this type of arrangement. I feel that those who think lower tips based on this service arrangement will result in staff turnover and a cycle of mediocre service may be correct, but I think that it is more properly blamed on a poor business model. (Not to get off topic, but I feel that a tip should be earned, and tipping servers regardless of the service arrangement/quality will also result in a cycle of mediocrity because it will foster a sense of entitlement instead of tip earnings based on merit.)

As I stated earlier, the food was fine, it didn't blow me away, but it was a simple omelets breakfast which I would happily eat again. Also, it was very reasonably priced for breakfast, which is difficult to find in the Heights.

Everyone was very polite to us, and all of the waiters seemed to be busy doing something, but I couldn't tell what with. All I know is that they weren't busy getting me refills or asking me if I needed anything. In my opinion, maybe a few of the waiters should be converted to kitchen staff or cooks so that they can get the food out more quickly.

One last thing, a very interesting scene developed while we were dining. Not only did a couple of tables get up and leave because the food was taking so long to come out, but another table with two couples were sitting next to us, and one of the men expressed his irritation at the long wait to his waiter. The waiter apologized and said there was nothing that she could do but that she would go get the manager to talk to him. Admittedly, he may have been a bit on the rude side, but not excessively so. A few minutes later the manger (or maybe an owner, I don't know) came to his table to "discuss" his issue. Again, he was a bit on the gruff side, but not outside the realm of common decency. Typically when a customer is upset about poor service, regardless of whether the restaurant has recently opened or not, and the waitress sends a manager over to deal with the situation, you'd expect the manager to apologize and/or offer something or promise to fix the problem to the customer in return for their patience. Not the case at Pie in the Sky. The manager came out swinging and didn't attempt an apology or even attempt to be polite, to be honest. The manager immediately blew up and yelled, "we've only been open a week, ok!" and the customer responded, a bit more abruptly this time, that this very slow service was unacceptable. The manager then yelled at him and demanded that he leave her restaurant. She actually yelled, "get out!" This blew our minds. Whatever happened to "the customer is always right?"--that's what I was always taught. The two couples then got up and left, with the one man bickering back at her the entire way out. If this lady was the manager, or especially an owner, then she needs to take a serious lesson in customer service and hospitality. Yes, the man may have been a bit rude, but they did not deserve the treatment they got. In fact, in writing this down, that situation really irritates me more, and I may be reluctant to revisit the place. For a manager/owner to yell at a complainer instead of apologizing and offering to allay his concerns is bush-league and demonstrated very poor business skills.

Regardless of my less than average first experience at Pie-in-the-Sky, I will probably reluctantly go back to give them a second chance because I understand that it takes time for a place to get running smoothly. But, they still need to work out the kinks and learn a bit about customer service.

This is a great thread. I have not been to Pie in the Sky yet but will stop by in the next few days. Every new place has issues with staff, training and working the kinks out. It's really great to see how passionate the Heights residents are about supporting and recommending a new restaurant in their hood. It sounds like if you're going to open a restaurant in this area you had better be ready to go from day one because the people are coming to eat.

I'd like the residents of the Heights to give me some feedback (posteres in this thread) on some questions I have about our restaurant design and customer experience. I will be posting these questions in the Heights section, in the Jenni's Noodle House thread.

thanks,

dream

The place was kickin today at lunch, so 1st Saturday is good for business. Our takeout order had 2 out of 4 orders correct, but they happily fixed it.

One request - if the burger is $8, it should come with more than cold veggies as a standard. Some sauteed mushrooms, jalapenos, an interesting sauce, definitely a fun cheese. Otherwise make it $6 for the size.

The place was kickin today at lunch, so 1st Saturday is good for business. Our takeout order had 2 out of 4 orders correct, but they happily fixed it.

One request - if the burger is $8, it should come with more than cold veggies as a standard. Some sauteed mushrooms, jalapenos, an interesting sauce, definitely a fun cheese. Otherwise make it $6 for the size.

we were there for lunch as well. we ate in and had to wait for a table but they quickly accommodated us. some new looking staff seemed confused but did it with a smile and that is all you can ask for sometimes. they were out of fried green beans, but i once again got that buffalo chicken wrap and it was every bit as good as the last time. glad to see business so good.

we were there for lunch as well. we ate in and had to wait for a table but they quickly accommodated us. some new looking staff seemed confused but did it with a smile and that is all you can ask for sometimes. they were out of fried green beans, but i once again got that buffalo chicken wrap and it was every bit as good as the last time. glad to see business so good.

Heights, do you know if they have Wi-Fi? BTW, I thought you would like this article I ran across. KWIM?

"As the owner of Pie in the Sky Pie Co. I felt obgligated to respond to the above post. First of all I was the one who took the order over the phone and I offered to heat it up. Hungryintheheights responded she had enough time to heat it on her own. When she arrived I over heard the conversation with my employee. I reminded her she did not ask to have it heated. There was no jogging of any memories.

When opening a new restaurant things will fall through the cracks. This was not one of those times. As for the quality of our pies we sell in excess of 60,000 pies a year in our Conroe location alone and fully expect to sell that in the Heights. We must be doing something right. We strive to please our new found customers in the Heights and will continue to improve all facets of our restaurant".

You may have already seen this, but it reminded me of when I used to work at Woolco ( Light years ago ). At our manager meetings, the boss used to always drum into us that, " The customer is NOT always right, and most of the time are dishonest!" I do believe your servers at Pie are getting beat up too badly. I had the club & sweet potato fries the other day, topped off with a chocolate silk pie. Very good, and servers were very nice.

Remember next time you're there to suggest the patio idea I suggested, and the OVRZP ( old vine red Zin please ).... Thanks!

Dinner tonight. Just the facts: The food came quickly, burger was unremarkable, fries (both kinds) were thin and perfectly salted and very tasty, buttermilk coconut pie was a mess to look at but delicious, staff refilled my drink in a timely manner, and there was a giant fan blocking the path to the Men's room. I used the Ladies'. Heights Yankee told me the fan is not customary, but perhaps they brought it out since the nights are getting warmer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We stopped in tonight and picked up a "Peanut Butter/Chocolate" pie from the self serve pie rack to go. MMMMMMMMMMMMMM--good!

Well, I picked up another Peanut Butter-Chocolate pie from Pie-in-the-sky Friday night. This pie is just as good as the first, but I should probably try another variety next time. I certainly hope they plan to do something about their air-conditioning, though. It was very hot in there and I can't imagine dining in that atmosphere -- and it's not even summer yet.

• The title was changed to Pie In The Sky
  • The title was changed to Pie In The Sky Company At 632 W. 19th St.

Archived