How Can The East End Best Capitalize On Our Rail Line's Jump Start

what has the rail done to main street?

unfortunately, I can't prove that any of the improvements that have happened, or are happening in on or within short distances of main are a result of the rail, or of the area continuing to grow, I like to think it may be a bit of both.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you think it'll always be this way?

Commerce isn't suitable as a major thoroughfare. It is not signalized at major intersections and hooks into Canal via Drennan. Additionally, access is frequently cut off by freight trains at Hutchins Street, whereas someone trying to access Canal will use the underpass that connects Navigation to Franklin to bypass freight rail traffic.

Commerce is a likely candidate to continue getting filled in with townhomes; the retail in that sector will be along Canal and Navigation. And that section of Harrisburg just to the south, is completely out of the running, because most of that stretch is a lengthy underpass or a massive new facility operated by Centerpoint Energy.

Or is this the time to buy speculatively?

There are multi-generational assets that are turning over because the economy has forced the owners' hands. If you can execute a deal...now is a good time to dive in. However...the land that is inside of York/Sampson is still priced at levels such that if you buy it at today's prices, you pretty much have to do something with it. For speculative buys, look further east in the vicinity of the Esperson Industrial District (between the FrenetiCore Theater and the next set of tracks to the east). Navigation has all the big tracts, but there are a number of smaller buildings with character along Canal that won't cost you millions of dollars.

If you're serious about investing in this part of town, shoot me a PM and I'll give you some leads.

If you're serious about investing in this part of town, shoot me a PM and I'll give you some leads.

I'm serious about it, but more so about a year from now. Currently, I'm mostly concerned with generating solid capital for a good start on my baby's college fund. I don't want her to incur the same level of debt I had to incur to get an education. Stick around these parts and I'll most certainly start to pick your brain when the time is right. I intend for my (hopefully early) retirement to be funded by my smart real estate investments, not by my 401k.

For some reason I think the LAST thing the East End needs is "new mutli-family residential". Ugh.

And what's wrong with that? Do you think Families should exclusively raised in single family homes?

How odd that New york, Paris, London, and Tokyo has so few of them.

The east end has been largely a blue collar/working class area with some minor industry within it (if you call "Hughes" minor industry). I don't think that's going to change for several generations.

Midtown was mostly empty until 10 years ago with the latest additions in various stages of completion and is now thriving.

East end has been thriving for generations, developers can't easily just buy up large tracks of land, but I'm sure individual lots might change over time to something that would resemble small multi-story apartment brownstones.

I am conflicted, but not in a way that you describe.

I like the East End just the way it is. Right now, if I am going to live anywhere in Houston, I want to live here in the East End (and specifically Eastwood). It's affordable, safe, convenient to everywhere, has the best burger joints and greasy spoons around, and I could probably try a different taqueria every day for a month and not once go to the same place twice or break a $5 budget or feel anything other than stuffed to the brim. There are no douchebaggy bars. The only traffic congestion occurs around elementary schools, and that's quite tolerable. The demographics have transitioned just enough that nobody gives me an odd look or treats me differently because I'm a white guy in a predominantly-Mexican neighborhood.

I wouldn't have wanted to have lived here ten years ago, and unfortunately, I don't think that I'll want to live here ten years from now...for the same reason as I don't like the idea of living in greater Montrose (even if I could lease there for less than I can here).

Having said that, I'd positively love to have been able to invest in the Heights ten years ago (or Montrose 20 years ago)!

True, it is clearly in my best financial interests to talk up my project and the neighborhood that it's in. But talking up all the pros to the exclusion of the cons isn't really my style. The glass is neither half full nor half empty; it has a x mililiter-capacity and y mililiters of z fluid. I develop a trusting raport with people because I present both sides of an issue and explain with precision why I believe what I do. That's how I lined up financing during the very worst days of the financial crisis, and that's how I saved my ass just recently. And it's good that this approach seems fruitful, too, because that's just the way I am, and I feel dirty if I'm doing anything other than being brutally honest.

The East End will continue to transition because it makes sense that it does, regardless of something as ultimately immaterial to that process as a facade-ectomy or the loss of the small businesses in old downtown Magnolia Park. That doesn't mean that I'm going to shut up about those things. They're still topics of the day.

Yeah, but that's good ole progress. I understand if gentrification bores some people, but to me it's a very good thing. Houston is a very interesting place because we're constantly caught in this struggle to define ourselves. The East End is a great microcosmic example... many suburban tendencies, run down areas next to some of the city's most impressive gems, and an incredible infrastructure (even if it hasn't been kept up well). But the last thing that I would want is for this neighborhood to stay as it is. I want it to be improved, and I definitely want property values to increase. I want more options for retail and entertainment here, and I want this neighborhood (like all of inner Houston) to become more transit friendly.

My big beef with light rail in Houston is that it's been poorly implemented in a number of ways. With respect to downtown Magnolia Park and the East End, it's the new 2000-foot-long overpass that I especially don't like. It'll kill all the businesses in it's shadow rather permanently, IMO. I also think that the issue was dealt with too hastily and that reasonable alternatives were not fully vetted. There are other issues I'm concerned about as well, such as impacts to the width of the ROW and the number of lanes, and auto traffic being displaced to residential secondary thoroughfares like Polk Street (which hurts both East End residents and East End businesses). And getting specific answers out of METRO is like pulling teeth.

I believe that METRO is not being run transparently, is making only superficial attempts to communicate its plans to the public, has been absolutely terrible at communicating with stakeholders (esp. Union Pacific) as part of due diligence, and I think it'd be rather irresponsible to sweep all this under the rug and claim that the East End is Mayberry and that nothing bad ever happens here.

Yeah, the light rail plan isn't as good as it could be... I'm also especially upset about the overpass. It's a cheap and senseless solution to the issue. That's why I continue to complain to Metro about it. It hasn't been built yet, and if the public unites in their disapproval, it may not be built. I've called, emailed and stopped by the East End corridor office and METRO headquarters about it at least 3 times now. I'll tell you what our mistake is... we're not making a real stink. If Harrisburg residents and business owners were organizing the same way the STOP ASHBY HIGHRISE people were, Metro would already be digging that underpass out right now.

The general light rail plan is mis-matched IMO. The most sensible plan would be one east-west route to compliment the existing north-south route. The east-west route should connect some area of the port of Houston to downtown, and then continue (probably via Washington) to the Galleria. At the very least, keep a "watered down" version of the University Line also, but the East End and Southeast line are really excessive and would best be served by some really tricked out BRT. Also that way if we wanted rail, we could grow the corridor to such point to where extra financing for grade separation wouldn't even be a question... we'd just do it.

But Helas Helas... that's not the hand we're dealt right now. But again, we can work with METRO and continue to steer them to reasonable conclusions of their current plans.

This is an awesome opportunity for the area to transform itself into one of the city's most coveted destinations. So my question is, how are we going to do it???

Just my 2 cents...

People need a reason to visit the East End. Perhaps there should be some sort of marketing campaign to highlight various things you can do in the East End, such as play golf at Gus Wortham, bike along Brays Bayou, catch a show at Bohemeos, etc. Every few years, the Rice Village mails out a directory of area businesses, complete with maps, coupons, and advertising. A similar publication could help spark some interest in East End businesses. Including some articles and guides to the East End parks could help raise awareness of these features. Ironically, the East End has some great parks, but most city residents don't even know they exist.

• 3 weeks later...

Just my 2 cents...

People need a reason to visit the East End. Perhaps there should be some sort of marketing campaign to highlight various things you can do in the East End, such as play golf at Gus Wortham, bike along Brays Bayou, catch a show at Bohemeos, etc. Every few years, the Rice Village mails out a directory of area businesses, complete with maps, coupons, and advertising. A similar publication could help spark some interest in East End businesses. Including some articles and guides to the East End parks could help raise awareness of these features. Ironically, the East End has some great parks, but most city residents don't even know they exist.

People don't NEED a reason to go to the east end any more than people NEED a reason to visit West U. The area will develop much differently than midtown and a different pace. Slower or faster I honestly don't know.

If anything, mom and pop places as well as more service oriented business will go up.

The only people OUTSIDE of the east end that will go there might be the kids from UH, TSU, people visiting friends and family, or people going to work at the various small business and industrial areas.

People don't NEED a reason to go to the east end any more than people NEED a reason to visit West U. The area will develop much differently than midtown and a different pace. Slower or faster I honestly don't know.

If anything, mom and pop places as well as more service oriented business will go up.

The only people OUTSIDE of the east end that will go there might be the kids from UH, TSU, people visiting friends and family, or people going to work at the various small business and industrial areas.

well, I think what may have been meant, is that the current perception of the area is wrong. people think it is dangerous, dingy, and some other derogatory word that starts with a 'd'.

if people had a reason to travel to the area, they would see that their perception of the area is wrong, and that it is nice quiet neighborhoods close to downtown.

Oh, I totally get it, I'm just saying that it doesn't need to be modified.

Overtime it will continue developing like it is and those that want to visit it, an, but there is no point in going out of its way to develop it into something it isn't.

I agree with that, nothing has to be added to the east end to make it better than the people perceive, people just need to be shown that it already is better than they perceive.

But, they will still need a reason to come out here, what will attract them? There are a very few individuals who will say to themselves "Self, it's been a while since I've been down Leeland on the other side of 59, lets give it a drive and see what's cookin'"

I did that 2 years ago, ended up buying a house in Broadmoor 1 year ago, and have been completely satisfied. How many people are going to do that though?

well, I think what may have been meant, is that the current perception of the area is wrong. people think it is dangerous, dingy, and some other derogatory word that starts with a 'd'.

if people had a reason to travel to the area, they would see that their perception of the area is wrong, and that it is nice quiet neighborhoods close to downtown.

Thanks, samagon, that is exactly what I meant by my post. Many Houstonians think everything East of Downtown and North of I-45 is industrial, so they never venture into the area to see what it is really like. I was merely throwing out the Rice Village guides as a local example of how an area can promote itself.

Thanks, samagon, that is exactly what I meant by my post. Many Houstonians think everything East of Downtown and North of I-45 is industrial, so they never venture into the area to see what it is really like. I was merely throwing out the Rice Village guides as a local example of how an area can promote itself.

i sure don't want the east end to promote itself as rice village does. yuppieville is already found throughout Houston, we don't need another one.

Perhaps sometimes the best promotion is no promotion.

Right, but if an area as ripe as ours is not promoted, people and businesses who see opportunity will come in and promote it in a way as to give them the greatest advantage.

I'm not saying we need to pool our money and buy a superbowl add, but little things, like the Broadmoor sign that we have a thread about will make the area more inviting, and if we can control what the sign looks like, we can make a mark on what we believe our neighborhood stands for. The task-force that goes through and removes graffiti is great for the area too.

Not to mention word of mouth being a great tool for us all to use.

Right, but if an area as ripe as ours is not promoted, people and businesses who see opportunity will come in and promote it in a way as to give them the greatest advantage.

don't most businesses hope for this?

The task-force that goes through and removes graffiti is great for the area too.

It is successful to the point that they are now helping out in other areas of the city. they do more than graffiti. they've picked up thousands of tires, maintain many of the major arteries by cutting grass, etc.

Not to mention word of mouth being a great tool for us all to use.

probably the most powerful thing that can be done.

• 3 weeks later...

whatever the promotion is to advertise the East End, it will need to direct its resources to the whites aged 25-35...........thats what helps vitalize an area. Larger incomes and the desire to eat out and have drinks at the bar continuously.

whatever the promotion is to advertise the East End, it will need to direct its resources to the whites aged 25-35...........thats what helps vitalize an area. Larger incomes and the desire to eat out and have drinks at the bar continuously.

What, blacks and hispanics don't do this? I see plenty at Sambuca, Vault, Venue, etc.

How do you propose going about that? Ethnic cleansing?

look up and down washington, what/who has revitalized that area? I'm sorry, but it ain't the blacks, mexicans with poverty level incomes that helped revitalize that area.

Who said anything about poverty level incomes? There's plenty of blacks and hispanics that are middle class or better.

look up and down washington, what/who has revitalized that area? I'm sorry, but it ain't the blacks, mexicans with poverty level incomes that helped revitalize that area.

No, I agree with you. The preponderance of wealth in this country and the world is controlled by people of caucasian or asian ancestry, not blacks or hispanics. Thusly, areas that are being revitalized (i.e. that are becoming "vital" once again) must be considered in the context of the social needs of these populations, and specifically those elements of the population that control an increasing amount of wealth, yet are not tied down by disproportionate concerns over safety or schools.

Example: Washington Avenue is "vital" because it serves as this group's preferred breeding ground. In truth, that neighborhood still has a mixed population and a sizable aging industrial component, but the residential and productive purposes of the neighborhood are secondary to its "vital" purpose.

Where I find fault with your comment is that you provide an observation with no 'final solution'. I was merely taking a guess (which you haven't denied) at what you might propose. Or did you have something different in mind?

Not anymore dude... there's not enough to go around anymore. The young professional class (especially in Houston) is made up of a wide variety of racial groups.

I'm not sayign there aren't...............but go up and down washington............what is the demographic living in the townhomes.............hanging at Eight, Taps, Sawyer Park............

If I could develop a bomb that would destroy places like Sawyer Park and restore places like Walter's and Rockefellers I would drop such a bomb on Washington Ave.

No, I agree with you. The preponderance of wealth in this country and the world is controlled by people of caucasian or asian ancestry, not blacks or hispanics. Thusly, areas that are being revitalized (i.e. that are becoming "vital" once again) must be considered in the context of the social needs of these populations, and specifically those elements of the population that control an increasing amount of wealth, yet are not tied down by disproportionate concerns over safety or schools.

Example: Washington Avenue is "vital" because it serves as this group's preferred breeding ground. In truth, that neighborhood still has a mixed population and a sizable aging industrial component, but the residential and productive purposes of the neighborhood are secondary to its "vital" purpose.

Where I find fault with your comment is that you provide an observation with no 'final solution'. I was merely taking a guess (which you haven't denied) at what you might propose. Or did you have something different in mind?

So are you implying that

1) only young white people visit the Washington corridor

2) young people that are not of white or Asian races do not spend money or create "vital" environments

3) young white people control an increasing amount of wealth?

We're now almost 10 years into the 21st century, and white people are becoming more and more scarce by the day. Like the old school Republican party, they just don't hold all of the cards anymore. I frequent Washington, and never, not once since I've been there have I only seen exclusively white people, nor have I ever observed ANYWHERE in the city of Houston an arrangement of only white people doing something... not even at a church. This includes various "high society" events in River Oaks or on Memorial where I would assume the audience would be more cohesive.

Archived