What Are You Listening To?

Montrose1100

Just curious, just to bring out the music in our lives... Whats your favorite genre? band? particular song?

My favorite Genres: Metal, New Age, Indie Rock, Rock, Alternative (So Cliche` I know) Techno, Dance, Rave, Trance, etc...

Some mentional bands + Good songs:

Splashdown - "Ironspy", "Presumed Lost", "Thunder", "Halfworld", "Pandora"

Kittie - "Charlotte", "Untile the End", "Get off", "Into the Darkness", "Loveless", "In Dreams", "Safe", "Pain", "In Winter", "Raven", "Career Suicide", "Brackish"

Chevelle - "Closure", "Wonder What's Next", "Don't Fake this", "Forfeit", "The Red".

Audioslave - "Cochise", "Show me how to Live", "Gasoline", "Shawdow on the Sun"

Norah Jones - "Seven Years", "Cold, Cold Heart", "Turn me on", "One flight down", "Nightengale", "The long Day is over", "The Nearness of you", "Sunrise".

Darude - "Sandstorm"

Benni Bennasi - "Satisfaction

FC Kauhana - "Hayling"

Jonathan Peterson - Sound Factory Club Mix/s

Cirrus - "Boomerang", "Straight Laid out", "half a Cell",

TLC! - "No Scrubs", "I'm good at being bad", "Fanmail"

Incubus - "Warning", "Talk Show on Mute", "11am", "Megalomaniac"

Alice in Chains - "Brother", "Got Me Wrong", "Am I inside"

Nelly Furtado - "Hey Man", "Sh** on the radio", "Legend", "Party", "I will make you cry", "Scared of you".

The Verve - "Bittersweet symphony"

30 Seconds to Mars - "Edge of the Earth"

Madonna - "Frozen"

Kylie Minogue - "Red Blooded Woman", "Chocolate", "Promises"

Those are just off the top of my head... So anyone else want to share there fav.s?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

favorite band is rush.

i'll listen to just about anything, classic roc, prog rock, metal, electronic/house, jazz, blues, some hip-hop, some alternative, classical & ambient.

what i can't stand is country that is really 'twangy' sounding and most newer hip-hop (1997 and later); especially the crap that sounds like it is played in slow motion and the voices are all gurbled up.

I'm kind of all over the place. I still listen to my 80's music (R.E.M., The Smiths, The Cure, Depeche Mode), but in the last couple of years I've started listening to classical and some 40's swing music. When iTunes came out, I started listening to some old 20's music, and I kind of like it.

Hate to tell you this, Montrose....

but they make no bones ABOUT playing POP music.  It's a top-20 station.

My kid calls, "The Arrow" an "oldies station."

Would you perhaps like a world station?  Then get sirius. :)

Ricco

I don't like the radio too much, and a satellite radio? I would probibly brake it.

C.D.s are my radio stations, as well as downloading and burning... (Illegal, Yes, Better then FM, AM, and XM? YES!)

I'm kind of all over the place.  I still listen to my 80's music (R.E.M., The Smiths, The Cure, Depeche Mode), but in the last couple of years I've started listening to classical and some 40's swing music.  When iTunes came out, I started listening to some old 20's music, and I kind of like it.

Isn't the iPod the best? It becomes immediately indispensible.

You couldn't give me any more detail then that? :(

LOL ok then, Alison Kraus, Keith Whitley, Brad Paisly, Geroge Strait, Billie Holliday, Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitz, Charlie Daniels, Alabama, Conway Twitty, David Kersh, Dolly Parton, Doug Stone, John Anderson, Martina McBride, Tracy Bird, Trace Atkins, Travis Tritt, Wayde Hays, Walyon Jennings, Willie Nelson, and on and on and on. I do not like any of the Houston country stations, they all are horrible. They only play top 40 country. KILT every now and then will pay some older stuff. But, the Houston stations only play what is very hot and popular. They never play the cutting edge new stuff or the very old stuff. When I go home to Louisiana I will hear a song and will fall in love with it but will not hear it in Houston for a good month or two months.

Roxy Music circa 1974, 1970's David Bowie/Ziggy Stardust, PJ Harvey, Siouxsie & the Banshees (80's NOT 90's), Duran Duran (I admit it.), Pink Floyd, Air, Iggy Pop, Echo & The Bunnymen, The Jam, Bauhaus...you know...oldies. :)

I would love to broaden my horizons with some new (but GOOD) music- I just don't have the time to seek it out. (But now I've got a whole list from Montrose 1100 to check out) Although, the library has been very handy in letting me check out new music without committing to buy. But I would never illegally burn anything. ;)

Sorry but radio here sucks. I guess the Rice station (91.7) is OK and KPFT can be good at times. I'm somewhat of a commie so I enjoy their talk shows and sometimes they play pretty good world music. They used to play really good Texas music (not country) but they don't anymore. :(

I just can't get into the pop music of today- it all sounds so manufactured. It could be generational, I'm sure my parents thought my music was ____ too.

Believe it or not, I was raised listening to and playing piano: Beethoven and Bach at first, and as I got older I was infatuated with Liszt and Scriabin. I still play almost daily, and have also found Scarlatti

2112, such a gentleman of culcha! :D

I, too, grew up with classical music (my mother taught piano). Although I was given lessons, my piano forte was playing by ear. (Pause for groans...)

Mostly I enjoy playing ragtime, boogie-woogie, blues - pretty much anything that would sound appropriate in a whorehouse. My piano formerly had the player attachment, but it was neutered before I obtained it. It dates from 1923 and suffers from arthritus and Alzheimer's, but the case is pretty. Alas, it's no Steinway; it's a Johnson (insert your own joke here).

Fully agree about music from the late 70's-mid 80's: Blondie, Elvis Costello, B-52s, English Beat, Go-Gos, Yazoo, The Smiths will never grow old.

The Soundtrack Of Our Lives, Bonnie "Prince" Billy, Sufjan Stevens, Nick Drake, Iron & Wine, Devendra Banhart, Aimee Mann, Death Cab For Cutie, Dios, Belle & Sebastian, Gomez, Doves, Supergrass, Snow Patrol, The Shins, Modest Mouse, The Postal Service, Kings of Convenience, Frank Black, Stephen Malkmus, 80's music, 90's grunge, Supergrass, Urge Overkill, Beta Band, The Charlatans UK, Oasis, Ride, The Verve, Coldplay, Manic Street Preachers, Depeche Mode, The Doors, Yo La Tengo, The White Stripes, Talk Talk, The Strokes, Ween, Weezer, RHCP, Jane's Addiction, The Beatles, Paul McCartney, Bob Marley, Talking Heads, Bob Dylan, Pink Floyd, Beach Boys, Elvis Costello, Los Lobos, Big Head Todd & The Monsters and much, much more!!

Finally got my model B Steinway in 2000.  Its almost as good as sex, in my opinion.

Are you a girl?

:huh:

Had a friend back in Rochester who had a Steinway grand from the 30's - nicest piano I've ever played. For you non-pianists, it's like the difference between driving a Porsche or a Yugo. Also, it had the Aeolian Duo-Art reproducing piano attachment, and rolls of George Gershwin, Fats Waller and Scott Joplin playing their compositions. What a revelation to hear their music as it was intended to be played.

One complaint about Steinway: they shouldn't sully their name by putting it on those upright pianos. My mother bought one 35 years ago, and it's had a mulitude of problems - keys stuck, pin block seperated, and an obnoxiously brilliant tone.

And alas, I'm not a girl - even on my best day. ;)

this week i'm listening to: The Shaman, Deep Forest, Depeche Mode, Squirrel Nut Zipper, Everything But The Girl, Green Day, Good Charlotte, Chopin, Annie Lenox, Johnny Cash.

BTW, the Annie Lenox/Sting concert was AMAZING!!!! at the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion in September.

Up and coming significant (IMHO) musical performances and/or performances with live music: Cirque du Soleil - Varekai (Jan-Feb), Les Miserables (Jan or Feb).

Archived