JetModern: Mod at Home in Houston

sevfiv

Seth Tinkham recounts his trip to Houston-

I had a unique opportunity while in Houston to visit with a number of members and supporters of Houston Mod. While I saw mostly commercial and institutional buildings in Chicago, Houston was focused on residential architecture. While I will write more on the individual houses I saw, there are three larger issues here.

First, in my discussions with Houston Mod, I learned that Houston does not have zoning. That’s right, no zoning. Residential next to commercial? Sure! As long as the deed restrictions allow it. Are there other municipalities without zoning?

Second, in an unusual outreach effort, Houston Modders often hold happy hours (called “Mod of the Month”) in mid-century homes listed for sale. In addition to providing good exposure for the seller, these gatherings also provide a nice opportunity to see a variety of residential structures as well as to get together with like-minded folk.

Third, I spoke with Robert Searcy, a real estate agent and one of a growing number of agents who are increasingly focusing on mid-century properties.

more here:

http://blogs.nationaltrust.org/preservationnation/?p=6133

Archived