A pointless Lawsuit

ricco67

[rant]

I just heard on KTRK, that the widow of a Police Officer who was shot by an illegal immigrant has filed a lawsuit against the city.

From what I have gathered, she's blaming HPD (of which she is a current employed by) for the death of her husband because they currently don't have the means to check on a person's immigrant status.

For those that don't remember or aren't familiar with this, the officer was shot after putting a suspect in his backseat by a gun that was missed by an initial search.

While everyone involved (Officer is black, the widow hispanic, the Suspect Mexican) is a minority, I think this is simply deflecting the blame for the officer's death on illegal immigration and not the Late officer's inability to find a gun on the suspect.

Regardless of the personal race or immigration status, if you fail to find a gun of someone you're putting into the backseat of your car then you have an equal chance of dying.

Supposedly, this lawsuit "Isn't about the money", but it's really sounding like it is to me and it just irritates me to hell to blame everyone but the officer not finding the gun in the first place.

[/rant]

Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest. :)

-4 for me in advance from those that may not agree. :ph34r:

I don't know if the lawsuit is so much a 'blame everyone else' lawsuit as much as perhaps a politically motivated lawsuit. The officer's wife is also HPD. If I remember correctly, the lawsuit also blames the City for not having 2 man patrols. These are both issues that the police unions have with the City. As unfortunate as a police officer killed in the line of duty is, you are correct that the defendant's legal status did not kill him. The officer's failure to perform an adequate weapon search killed him. Knowing his legal status would not have made a better search.

I agree with RedScare, this is probably a politically motivated case. It's not as blatant if a widow sues HPD instead of the Minutemen. I wouldn't be surprised if the officer's widow was approached by some political groups who want HPD to check immigration statuses. I wonder who is handling the legal fees, it wouldn't be a shock to me if it were revealed that it was some anti-immigrant group or someone affiliated with one.

While, I don't know about the political approach, it would have made more sense if the Mayor White was up for re-election. The none of the Candidates have really made a comment or is benefiting from it.

The only ones that I rooting for this seems to be an HPD Union that wants two man patrols.

No, I still think it's more about opportunistic money hunt under the guise of "For Change" for the safety of officers.

I think we should round up all the criminals as soon as we finish rounding up all the illegal aliens.

That would solve a lot of our problems right there.

wink.gif

Why stop there? I say we round up the Jews, the gays and the gypsies too.

<insert smiley face so nobody mistakes the blatant joke>

Archived