Trip to Houston Municipal Airport

When I tell are friends I live in Park Place, they know where I am by the traffic circle at Park Place and Broadway or by how close we are to Hobby Airport. Below is some history about one of Houston’s first airports.

Check out http://www.1940airterminal.org/

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hobby Airport began service in 1927 as a private landing field in a 600 acre pasture known as W.T. Carter Field. The airfield was served by Braniff and Eastern Airlines. The site was acquired by the City of Houston and was named Houston Municipal Airport in 1937. The airport was renamed Howard R. Hughes Airport in 1938. Howard Hughes was responsible for several improvements to the airport, including its first control tower, built in 1938.The airport's name was changed back to Houston Municipal because Hughes was living at the time and regulations did not allow federal improvement funds foran airport named after a living person.

The City of Houston opened and dedicated a new air terminal and hangar in 1940.

post-8551-12532682234126_thumb.jpg

post-8551-12532682508834_thumb.jpg

post-8551-12532682906936_thumb.jpg

post-8551-1253268383719_thumb.jpg

post-8551-12532684854876_thumb.jpg

post-8551-12532685175635_thumb.jpg

post-8551-12532685711762_thumb.jpg

post-8551-12532685940272_thumb.jpg

post-8551-12532686162883_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

When I tell are friends I live in Park Place, they know where I am by the traffic circle at Park Place and Broadway or by how close we are to Hobby Airport. Below is some history about one of Houston’s first airports.

Check out http://www.1940airterminal.org/

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hobby Airport began service in 1927 as a private landing field in a 600 acre pasture known as W.T. Carter Field. The airfield was served by Braniff and Eastern Airlines. The site was acquired by the City of Houston and was named Houston Municipal Airport in 1937. The airport was renamed Howard R. Hughes Airport in 1938. Howard Hughes was responsible for several improvements to the airport, including its first control tower, built in 1938.The airport's name was changed back to Houston Municipal because Hughes was living at the time and regulations did not allow federal improvement funds foran airport named after a living person.

The City of Houston opened and dedicated a new air terminal and hangar in 1940.

Very interesting. Why is named Hobby? Shouldn't the county have named it Hughes after his death?

This building is such a stunner! Gorgeous! I can't wait until they've completed restoring it. I also hope they get a bit more organization to the museum side of things...the exhibits are pretty disjointed, and lacking context.

The musuem is pretty much a volunteer effort as I understand. If anyone is interested in joining and helping out I'm sure that would be appreciated, especially if that person has experience in the design and maintenance of things like museums. Please see their website. www.1940airterminal.org

To me the layout of the items is not as much of an issue as how well the items are preserved. As more space becomes available in the building I'm sure the displays themselves will improve but I know it must be expensive, and require some diligence, to maintain temperatures, lighting, and humidity levels conducive to preserving the artifacts in the space.

Does anyone remember what a hodge-podge the Texas State Historical Museum in Austin was before the new Bob Bullock Museum was built? It was chock full of artifacts and memorabilia most of which was labled with typewritten descriptions on small note cards. Still, it was history buff heaven.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does Houston have anything commemorating Howard Hughes? He's got to be one of the most interesting people to ever come from the area.

3921 Yoakum is called the Hughes House because he used to live there. It houses the archeology and theology departments for University of St. Thomas. Other than that, no, I don't know of anything named after him, and that's sad.

As you may know, his grave is in Glenwood Cemetary.

3921 Yoakum is called the Hughes House because he used to live there. It houses the archeology and theology departments for University of St. Thomas. Other than that, no, I don't know of anything named after him, and that's sad.

As you may know, his grave is in Glenwood Cemetary.

His legacy does seem under-appreciated, and perhaps it's due to his eccentric lifestyle. But I can't think of an individual more fitting to have a Houston airport named after him. On the other hand, the legacies of George Bush or William Hobby really have nothing to do with aviation.