Perot Museum of Nature and Science At 2201 N. Field St.

dfwcre8tive

http://www.dallasnews.com/video/index.html?nvid=399005

Design unveiled for Perot Museum of Nature and Science at Victory Park

The planned Perot Museum of Nature and Science at Victory Park, designed by Pritzker Prize laureate Thom Mayne and his California architecture firm Morphosis, is expected to break ground later this year and open in 2013.

Plans for Perot Museum of Nature & Science at Victory Park to be unveiled today

06:59 AM CDT on Thursday, September 17, 2009

By SCOTT CANTRELL / The Dallas Morning News

scantrell@dallasnews.com

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...um.432f49b.html

Plans for the boldest piece of modern architecture to hit Dallas are being unveiled today. The Perot Museum of Nature & Science at Victory Park, designed by Pritzker Prize laureate Thom Mayne and his California architecture firm Morphosis, is expected to break ground this year and open in early 2013.

Schematic renderings and models of the complex will go on public display Saturday at the construction center on the museum's future site at the northwest corner of Field Street and Woodall Rodgers Freeway.

The Morphosis design loudly proclaims the $185 million museum's double focus on science and nature.

The main gallery spaces will be in a big cube-shaped structure as tall as a 14-story building. It will have a stark, high-tech look, with a 150-foot escalator structure jutting out from the south side. A cutaway corner atrium will offer dramatic views of downtown and at night, dramatic views into the building. The cladding has not been determined.

museum1.jpg

museum2.jpg

perot_museum.jpg

from Unfair Park

Next Stop on the Mayor's Dallas Makeover Tour, the Perot Museum of Nature & Science

By Kimberly Thorpe in News You Can Actually Use, ActuallyThursday, Sep. 17 2009 @ 4:14PM

Mayor Tom Leppert has run quite the lengthy victory lap this week: He took a ride on the Green Line; got off at the Woodall Rodgers Deck Park ground-making; then hustled on over to the convention center hotel groundbreaking. Which brings us to today's stop: Leppert attended the unveiling of the model of the Perot Museum of Nature & Science at Victory Park, designed by 2005 Pritzker Prize winner Thom Mayne. And he took a moment to applaud the $185-million facility in Victory Park, scheduled to open in 2013, as a gateway that will encourage kids to elect science careers.

perotmuseum1.jpg

perotmuseum2.jpg

perotmuseum4.jpg

perotmuseum3.jpg

• 10 months later...

I have to hand it to Dallas and the Perot family on this one. If the building comes out looking anything like the renderings, it will be pretty awesome.

I really like the mineral/crystalline style that carries as a theme inside and outside of the building. I've always thought that it would be awesome if a building were designed essentially to scale with a halite crystal or to have an office park built on a hilltop to resemble a chunk of galena ore. There are all kinds of mineralogical structures that would make good architecture.

Halite1_DSC_6202.JPG

minerals%5C+Galena.jpg

I have to hand it to Dallas and the Perot family on this one. If the building comes out looking anything like the renderings, it will be pretty awesome.

I agree. Most of my HAIF-based hate for Dallas is contrived for the internet. I actually like Dallas, and I think this building will be a great addition to the city. I look forward to visiting this museum.

• 4 weeks later...

Design of Dallas' Perot Museum of Nature & Science melds nature, technology

10:30 AM CDT on Wednesday, August 18, 2010

By SCOTT CANTRELL / The Dallas Morning News

scantrell@dallasnews.com

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/ent/stories/DN-perot_0818gd.ART0.State.Edition1.35e7d74.html

Refinements to the design of the Perot Museum of Nature & Science are being unveiled today at the museum's construction center. The museum, expected to open in early 2013, is launching a "Final Fifty" campaign to raise the last $50 million in the $185 million project.

Even as concrete and rebar have been rising at the northwest corner of Woodall Rodgers Freeway and Field Street, architects and consultants have been reworking initial renderings shown last September.

The cladding, initially undetermined, will be panels of precast concrete, with horizontal striations both convex and concave. In apparently random combinations, lending striking shadows, the striations will give way to smooth surfaces on higher levels of the building.

"It's a very simple building, a cube, which is basically straightforward," says Thom Mayne, the Pritzker Prize laureate who heads Morphosis Architects Inc., based in Los Angeles. "The surface is going to make it very active and lively."

A 150-foot escalator housing jutting out from the south side of the building, partly glazed and partly opaque in the original design, will instead be completely enclosed in glass.

Defying the usual opacity of museum designs, Mayne and his colleagues have made a point of opening up as much of the Perot Museum as possible. A large glazed gash in the southeast corner of the building will give great views of downtown Dallas and will allow outsiders to see well into the museum's multiple levels. Lower-level classrooms will have skylights from a rolling roof covered with native drought-resistant grasses.

"We charged the architects – any place we can have light, we want light," says Nicole G. Small, the museum's CEO.

From those plantings and a small forest of native trees near the entrance to the high-tech look of the 14-story cube, the museum will telegraph its combination of nature and science. Landscape design is by the Dallas firm Talley Associates.

Water runoff from the lower-level roof will be captured in two 25,000-gallons cisterns for the building's nonpotable water needs.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The museum opens tomorrow.

The Dallas Morning News has it covered... and since I don't feel like doing a kajillion links, they were nice enough to put the bulk of their coverage on one page. Thanks!

http://www.dallasnews.com/entertainment/visitors-guide/perot-museum/headlines/20121124-read-stories-from-our-perot-museum-special-section.ece

And I'm always a sucker for timelapse. This video features construction inside and out...

http://photographyblog.dallasnews.com/2012/11/check-out-this-totally-cool-timelapse-video-of-the-perot-museum-of-nature-and-science-being-constructed-dinosaur-skeletons-being-assembled.html/

The view from the highway, where you see the glass escalator, is pretty bleh IMO.

I do like the night picture view though. Overall I think the building looks and feels out of place... being a Nature and Science museum I feel should be a little more organic with some greenery.

• 4 weeks later...

Seems to be a hit with the crowds, so far.

There's also a neat graphic on Conde Nast Traveler with details of the museum HERE

Visitors flocked to Perot Museum in its first month

By DAVID FLICK Staff Writer

Published: 31 December 2012 11:09 PM

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/community-news/dallas/headlines/20121231-visitors-flocked-to-perot-museum-in-its-first-month.ece?action=reregister

The Perot Museum of Nature and Science has been open exactly one month, but it’s safe to say it’s a hit.

By midday Monday, 116,000 visitors had passed through the museum since Dec. 1, when it opened to local fanfare and national praise.

In addition, 12,000 memberships were sold in December.

Museum CEO Nicole Small said the figures were higher than expected. “We’re pleased with the overwhelming response from the community.”

She attributed the crowds to favorable publicity and strong word-of-mouth response by visitors.

Museum leaders have steadfastly avoided making attendance projections, though some have hinted that they hope for a million visitors the first year. Monday’s numbers would put the museum on a pace to easily surpass that figure.

The numbers could have been much higher. But the facility’s planners imposed a ticket system that limits the number of visitors. Tickets are dispensed in time-specific half-hour blocks.

While emphasizing that the number varies daily, museum officials said about 350 tickets are sold in each block. When the quota is reached, potential visitors must await the next opening.

03_Perot_Museum.jpg

• 3 months later...

I've tried every way I can to like this building, but I can't. The exterior flat sucks. No doubt the exhibits inside are top notch, and worth the visit, but that exterior just isn't there.

The exterior of this building was designed to evolve over time.These shots are going to change as the years go by. This building will be a living stucture with all types of plant life on the roof top terrain as well as the sides and walls of the building itself....it will definately lose that sterile look that it has now. Its gonna be interesting to watch the evolution over time....BRILLIANT!!

Archived