Morning Edition from Houston

crunchtastic

NPR's Morning Edition was broadcast from Houston today. The first segemnt was Inskeep talking to Stephen Klineberg about housing prices and sprawl.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=112896915

Ironically, I would have ordinarily already been at work and not heard it, but was at a stand still in traffic on the gulf freeway.

Tomorrow Bill White will be on.

NPR's Morning Edition was broadcast from Houston today. The first segemnt was Inskeep talking to Stephen Klineberg about housing prices and sprawl.

Ironically, I would have ordinarily already been at work and not heard it, but was at a stand still in traffic on the gulf freeway.

The part about the Third Ward was interesting, but it was upsetting, too. It pissed me off to hear Garnett Coleman talking about trying to keep white people out of the Third Ward. I lived there for 4 years, and intended to become part of the neighborhood, and to make it my home. I never felt at all welcome. But them Coleman says, in response to the interviewer asking what's wrong with a white person moving in, that they buy a house but don't try to be part of the neighborhood. That's bull. You can't devote the effort he does to keeping people out, then accuse them of not trying to make it a home. We tried. We were not welcome. No doubt because, in part, he was working so hard to tell the residents to keep people like me out.

I recognize the interest in trying to preserve the neighborhood, and not driving people out of their homes. But it was one of my white neighbors, in one of our new abhorrent-to-Coleman townhomes, who would go out on the weekend with a trash bag and pick up trash from the street, and clean out the gutters so they didn't flood the street. It was the other residents who were throwing trash in the street. Tell me who cares more about the neighborhood.

It pissed me off to hear Garnett Coleman talking ...

Yeah, this guy is like that Quantum 10 or Quanell X, what ever the hell he calls himself. These guys go through life and blame every perceived problem as a race issue. They and their views make me sick.

Yeah, this guy is like that Quantum 10 or Quanell X, what ever the hell he calls himself. These guys go through life and blame every perceived problem as a race issue. They and their views make me sick.

I wouldn't agree. I don't think he is blaming anyone, or trying to make something a race issue. He seems genuinely interested in preserving what he sees as cultural history; it happens to be black history. I understand his goal. But I'm surprised that he doesn't see how racist and exclusionary his own actions are.

He should be trying to preserve history. Not just "Black" history. Are the folks in Williamsburg, VA trying to preserve "White" history? I think if you add any adjective on the front of history you are going down a slippery slope.

I understand that the third ward was developed and settled by blacks but I think that it is wrong and insane to think that only blacks can redevelope, and preserve the history of that area.

I can't believe he said people are moving to less attractive places like Texas. Is Texas as a whole that unattractive?

I can't believe he said people are moving to less attractive places like Texas. Is Texas as a whole that unattractive?

He said less "environmentally attractive" by which I think he means less environmentally friendly/conscious, not necessarily that its an ugly environment, but I can understand the confusion. That seemed to be the thrust of his point, the well-meaning environmentalism is resulting in a high cost of living for people and making them move away to places where the government doesn't have as many environmental restrictions.

He said less "environmentally attractive" by which I think he means less environmentally friendly/conscious, not necessarily that its an ugly environment, but I can understand the confusion. That seemed to be the thrust of his point, the well-meaning environmentalism is resulting in a high cost of living for people and making them move away to places where the government doesn't have as many environmental restrictions.

You're right, but it just seemed like they were hating hard on Houston and Texas. I agree that the area is far to spread out though, hopefully this next century we will start to see more infill and much less spreading.

Also why is the grass around the Mount Rush Hour statues not cut? I think those statues would have been better in the Museum District or in a more touristy area.

I also want to say this about how this area needs climate control. Is Houston the only city in the US that gets this hot and humid? Is there nothing that can be done in the year 2009 that could make the city more walkable without the people being turned away by the heat? Couldn't tree help?

I don't really like to see the statues on the side of the highway like that. They're a lot more interesting in their native environment at the SculpturWorx studio on Summer St. and they leave the gate open 24 hours so anyone can pull in to the parking lot and look at the whole set of them. Fun place to check out late at night, or in the day.

I was kind of surprised about that statistic of how many different cities you could pack into Houston's square miles.

You're right, but it just seemed like they were hating hard on Houston and Texas. I agree that the area is far to spread out though, hopefully this next century we will start to see more infill and much less spreading.

Also why is the grass around the Mount Rush Hour statues not cut? I think those statues would have been better in the Museum District or in a more touristy area.

I also want to say this about how this area needs climate control. Is Houston the only city in the US that gets this hot and humid? Is there nothing that can be done in the year 2009 that could make the city more walkable without the people being turned away by the heat? Couldn't tree help?

The most natural way to deal with the summertime heat is common in tropical countries but runs counter to our northern European culture. That would be to siesta during the hottest part of the day and do your walking/shopping at night. Think of places like Bangkok or Saigon where the throngs come out in the evening.

The most natural way to deal with the summertime heat is common in tropical countries but runs counter to our northern European culture. That would be to siesta during the hottest part of the day and do your walking/shopping at night. Think of places like Bangkok or Saigon where the throngs come out in the evening.

Seems like college students are the only people in Houston who've figured out how to beat the heat naturally.

I really think that the way that Houston is developed makes it hard for people to walk anywhere, its not the heat. Yeah there is downtown, but say you want to walk from downtown to somewhere else, its possible, but you're going to have to walk through parking lots, empty lots etc. I have always said that its good Houston has no zoning, but now I am going to change my mind on that, HOUSTON NEEDS ZONING!!!! PDQ!!! I see all of these other cities with all of these cool walkable developments and I always say that's what I wish Houston had. Houston has it all, the attractions, and some urban developments, but none of its connected. Dallas gets hot, Miami, Atlanta, New Orleans, etc, yet they all have walkable areas.

All of this about Houston being an ugly is false, yeah many areas and many freeways are ugly, but there are many beautiful areas of the city.

And let me get back to something else I heard the man say in the NPR interview. It was like he did not acknowledge anything good about Houston. He made it seem as if it was just a place where millions of people have moved to that did nothing but build strip malls, loop freeways, and endless suburbs.

He should be trying to preserve history. Not just "Black" history. Are the folks in Williamsburg, VA trying to preserve "White" history? I think if you add any adjective on the front of history you are going down a slippery slope.

I understand that the third ward was developed and settled by blacks but I think that it is wrong and insane to think that only blacks can redevelope, and preserve the history of that area.

I think he's just afraid after what happened to Fourth Ward. Historic churches and buildings have been displaced and replaced in the name of redevelopment. Remember, Houston's never been the quickest to preserve historical areas, whether black or white. Just think about the Frost Town site and all of the other historic sites we've lost around town to redevelopment.

He made it seem as if it was just a place where millions of people have moved to that did nothing but build strip malls, loop freeways, and endless suburbs.

But forget the fact that enough people are down with it to make us the 4th largest city in the country. Forget all that about actually being able to afford a good life here. If you think your prospects are good to make 200 grand a year all of your adult life, then by all means, the walkable urban-living experience in Seattle or Denver or Providence awaits you.

That's the artist's property which is why they are there.

I also want to say this about how this area needs climate control. Is Houston the only city in the US that gets this hot and humid?

Go to New Orleans and get back with us.

Is there nothing that can be done in the year 2009 that could make the city more walkable without the people being turned away by the heat? Couldn't tree help?

Trees are always a good thing but 100 degrees is uncomfortable is the sun or shade. I heard people complaining about Chicago earlier this year cause it never warmed up. Average yearly temperature would probably be a better overall gauge.

...HOUSTON NEEDS ZONING!!!! PDQ!!! ...

I could not agree more. I remember the last go around on this issue and the opposition kept saying that "Zoning will make your taxes go up." I thought that was quite funny. Yes taxes would go up because your property values would go up with zoning. Is that bad? Property values going? But the Texas mentality of "It's my land, and I'll do what I want with it." prevailed. In this regard Houston is still living in the 19th century. Also, developers have long had a tight hold on Houston politics. And they don't want anyone interferrin with their building of strip malls all over the city and county.

I could not agree more. I remember the last go around on this issue and the opposition kept saying that "Zoning will make your taxes go up." I thought that was quite funny. Yes taxes would go up because your property values would go up with zoning. Is that bad? Property values going? But the Texas mentality of "It's my land, and I'll do what I want with it." prevailed. In this regard Houston is still living in the 19th century. Also, developers have long had a tight hold on Houston politics. And they don't want anyone interferrin with their building of strip malls all over the city and county.

Strip malls are everywhere, not just Houston. Yes, even places with zoning. Crazy, I know. Dallas has strip malls, tons of 'em. And they zone the crap out of everything. There's a weird misconception among zoning acolytes that zoning is a panacea for blight. In reality, if done improperly and inflexibly, which it almost always is, it destroys the concept of community and perpetuates the dreaded sprawly car culture. By shifting land use from an organic need based utilization into something ordered and structured and separated by use and value, it drives neighborhood walkability away. Nothing is ever close to anything. Want a pizza? Go to the restaurant zone. It's five miles away, so you'd better hop in your car. Want dry cleaning? Go to the small businesses that use chemicals zone. It's not near the pizza zone, so you should probably get the dry cleaning first. Nobody likes a room temperature pizza.

If this separation is what's desired, then Houston's got boatloads of 'burbs with restrictive HOAs that approximate zoning. Commercial along the main roads. Residential behind that. Industrial in someone else's 'burb. Not a single business is allowed to operate near anyone's home. Yes, folks, there's already zoning in Houston. And what's happening in the city proper ain't broke. Those of us who actually live in the city like it the way it is.

Out of curiosity, is it typical for Morning Edition to broadcast from different cities? I've never noticed it before and was curious why they would decide to report from Houston.

Houston seems to be getting a lot of attention during this economic downturn. It's like the media wants to get under the hood to see what makes this city tick. We're the city everyone loves to hate, and yet we're not plagued with many of the issues facing cities in the northeast and west coast: plummeting home values, stiffling regulation, shrinking economy.

Out of curiosity, is it typical for Morning Edition to broadcast from different cities? I've never noticed it before and was curious why they would decide to report from Houston.

Houston seems to be getting a lot of attention during this economic downturn. It's like the media wants to get under the hood to see what makes this city tick. We're the city everyone loves to hate, and yet we're not plagued with many of the issues facing cities in the northeast and west coast: plummeting home values, stiffling regulation, shrinking economy.

Morning Edition does not typically broadcast from different cities. Usually they have one anchor in DC and the other in LA. They may go to other cities 2 or 3 times a year.

Some of the comments on the site are hilarious.

Try the facebook responses. several hundred variations of "HOUSTON IS SO UGLY, UGH! TAKE IT FROM ME, I FLEW OVER IT THIS ONE TIME IN 1989"

I cracked up when Inskeep described Mayor White as "soft-spoken, without a lot of hair" and again at White's description of the Beer Can House.

I don't understand how developers in Houston ever planned to standout if the city is felled with strip malls. I think the reason that no zoning in the past in Houston was so popular because the suburban way of life was the popular thing to do in the past. But now that that has changed and urban development is more popular, zoning is needed or else it wont work because there will always be a developer that wants to put a suburban style development into an area that is trying to be urban.

I don't understand how developers in Houston ever planned to standout if the city is felled with strip malls. I think the reason that no zoning in the past in Houston was so popular because the suburban way of life was the popular thing to do in the past. But now that that has changed and urban development is more popular, zoning is needed or else it wont work because there will always be a developer that wants to put a suburban style development into an area that is trying to be urban.

So... are you suggesting that by restricting developers, you're actually encouraging them to build? So you know, no area is "trying" to be urban. It either is urban or it isn't urban. The difference, I suppose, is the model of urbanity you hold ideal, which based on your posts seem to be more inline with the Manhattan model, is that correct? Let's use Midtown as an example since I believe that's what you're referring to in the first place. There are two suburban-styled CVSs in Midtown, which is something that stick in the craw of some people like you. But how, pray tell, would zoning have prevented that? The buildings are built as they are for reasons dictated by the real estate market in the area, not by lofty hopes of Houston becoming the next New York. Reality's set in here. This isn't the Field of Dreams. Just because you build it doesn't mean they'll come. The reality is CVS built "suburban" stores because Houston in car-centric (even in Midtown), and people need places to park. Why would they build it in a way that would doom it to failure? That would just be dumb. And, forcing them to build in any specific way that would be dumb would be even dumber on the part of the local government. CVS wouldn't have built anything at all if the costs were too prohibitive and the store wasn't built to meet the needs of the consumers. Then, there'd be no pharmacy in the neighborhood, which would make it even less "urban" which would make it less cool which would drive the property values down which would make it a ghetto again.

So... are you suggesting that by restricting developers, you're actually encouraging them to build? So you know, no area is "trying" to be urban. It either is urban or it isn't urban. The difference, I suppose, is the model of urbanity you hold ideal, which based on your posts seem to be more inline with the Manhattan model, is that correct? Let's use Midtown as an example since I believe that's what you're referring to in the first place. There are two suburban-styled CVSs in Midtown, which is something that stick in the craw of some people like you. But how, pray tell, would zoning have prevented that? The buildings are built as they are for reasons dictated by the real estate market in the area, not by lofty hopes of Houston becoming the next New York. Reality's set in here. This isn't the Field of Dreams. Just because you build it doesn't mean they'll come. The reality is CVS built "suburban" stores because Houston in car-centric (even in Midtown), and people need places to park. Why would they build it in a way that would doom it to failure? That would just be dumb. And, forcing them to build in any specific way that would be dumb would be even dumber on the part of the local government. CVS wouldn't have built anything at all if the costs were too prohibitive and the store wasn't built to meet the needs of the consumers. Then, there'd be no pharmacy in the neighborhood, which would make it even less "urban" which would make it less cool which would drive the property values down which would make it a ghetto again.

I believe you have it all wrong. If people that live in the midtown area wanted suburban living, they would move to the suburbs or somewhere other than midtown.

Why couldn't CVS just build a store like the one below? Where the parking is behind the store but it also allows people to walk to the store. The reason is because they don't have to, Houston doesn't have zoning so they can do as they please even in areas that want to cater to the urban lifestyle.

CVS%2C_ATL.jpg

I believe you have it all wrong. If people that live in the midtown area wanted suburban living, they would move to the suburbs or somewhere other than midtown.

Why couldn't CVS just build a store like the one below? Where the parking is behind the store but it also allows people to walk to the store. The reason is because they don't have to, Houston doesn't have zoning so they can do as they please even in areas that want to cater to the urban lifestyle.

They can and do, I shop at the one on Main Street all the time.

Archived