Hogg Palace Lofts At 401 Louisiana St.

rsb320

They put up a new awning on the south/Prairie side of the Hogg Palace yesterday. It's black with zebra print trim, with a fancy R printed on it. It does not appear to be in the same, larger space where a restaurant was most recently, but another smaller space on the side.

'R' anybody in the know?

• Like 1

Interesting--I didn't know he owned this building. Saw Randalll Davis on local news recently, being interviewed down in Galveston at Diamond Beach--and I couldn't help but notice that he is quite the small man. Was it just the TV? Cuz he looked about 5 feet tall. Hmm. Now I remember the (horribly named) 'Titan' highrise that fell through. I believe it's Niche who occasionally mentions developers/architects and their size metaphors. Somehow it all makes sense, now.

• 2 months later...

I made another pass. Looks like its going to be a bridal shop. The "bar" is actually just their sales counter. The thing is filled with different dresses now.

Yes, it's a male dress maker, gurl. wink.gif I think he and his State Trooper partner live in that building. Those dresses look exclusive and expensive.

Edited by rsb320

Interesting--I didn't know he owned this building. Saw Randalll Davis on local news recently, being interviewed down in Galveston at Diamond Beach--and I couldn't help but notice that he is quite the small man. Was it just the TV? Cuz he looked about 5 feet tall. Hmm. Now I remember the (horribly named) 'Titan' highrise that fell through. I believe it's Niche who occasionally mentions developers/architects and their size metaphors. Somehow it all makes sense, now.

He's probably a few inches taller, but yeah, he is a short guy. I must admit surprise that he'd allow himself to be filmed in a context that revealed his stature. Whether or not his ad copy or aesthetic preferences make any sense in a historical context, he's usually very diligent where image management is concerned.

...and yeah, kylejack, trying to get market intel out of his staff is like pulling teeth.

• 2 years later...

About 15-17 years ago I was on jury duty.......While waiting I was looking out the window and saw a rooftop apartment/penthouse below and to the west of the court house.....IIRC it had a main house with a round (livingroom?) attached...................I had looked this up before and seems it belonged at one time to a well know and well to do family.........IIRC I was able to find it on google maps and MSN (now Bing) maps......Now I can not........Was the building razed?......Does anyone know the name of this building and or this family?

My computer crashed back last summer in a thunderstorm so I lost all my files and picture folders

If anyone can assist me I would greatly appreciate it..........

TIA

Claud Pipkin

Edited by Claud Pipkin

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

No matter. I welcome the diversity.

Definitely beats an empty building. Interesting spot for high end specialty retail-ish. They have the store in the River Oaks shopping center too.

I have never heard of anyone buying a new piano, maybe I run in the wrong circles.  

• Like 2

Apparently Forshey Piano is not selling Steinway any longer. I guess they have become too pricey for the casual piano shopper - new studio models start around $10,000 and the "mighty" Model D Concert Grand is north of $50,000 these days. I notice the new establishment is "by appointment only" too and that is probably a good location being as it is near the performing arts district.

Apparently Forshey Piano is not selling Steinway any longer. I guess they have become too pricey for the casual piano shopper - new studio models start around $10,000 and the "mighty" Model D Concert Grand is north of $50,000 these days. I notice the new establishment is "by appointment only" too and that is probably a good location being as it is near the performing arts district.

Forshey liquidated their Steinway piano inventory last year and and has switched to German Schimmel pianos in Houston TX. 

I think both brands have always been too pricey for the "casual" piano shopper ;-)

• Like 1