Your Favorite Alcoholic Beverage

BryanS

Do you have a favorite alcoholic beverage?

I do.

Currently, I am enjoying the Sidecar, quite a bit recently. My version of the recipe:

1 shot brandy

1 shot cointreau

1 shot lemmon juice (that I freshly squeeze, triple strain)

Like the Martini, the Sidecar has recently experienced a renaissance. The Sidecar was invented in the early 1900's and was popular until the beginning of World War II, but unfortunately was forgotten by most when the War came to an end. A few years ago, my request for a Sidecar was often met with "are you sure, that's what my grandmother drinks?" Luckily, the Sidecar is now enjoying a renewed popularity and can be easily had at most drinking establishments.

http://www.drinkoftheweek.com/special/sidecar.htm

What do you like to drink? Please share your favorite drink - and recipe.

I've been making a Kiwi rum drink recently.

2.5 oz white rum (lessen for anvil drinkers)

juice of 1 lime strained

1 Ts of turbinado sugar (more if you prefer sweeter)

1/2 of Kiwi peeled, quartered

cold club soda

muddle Kiwi, sugar and lime juice

add ice and rum to muddled mixture and shake

pour into lowball glass, add a splash of club soda

Recipe? that is easy. Beer - Glass (preferably IPA) or Scotch (preferably Lagavulin 16 yr old distiller's edition) - Ice - Glass

It never needs to get more complicated than that.

Heh. Our tastes in beverages are nearly identical, except my scotch of choice is a Macallans 18 year single malt. The mixture is the same though: Ice, glass.

Viva la IPAs.

Thunderbird, no glass, ice cold is preferred but not required. When I'm in the mood I fancy it up with a little brown paper bag. I find that it lends a hint of mystery and excitement...kinda like the difference between a hot nekkid chick and a hot chick in lingerie. I like it both ways.

When I'm out of T-Bird, I sip on Laphroaig too. Neat.

Recipe? that is easy. Beer - Glass (preferably IPA) or Scotch (preferably Lagavulin 16 yr old distiller's edition) - Ice - Glass

It never needs to get more complicated than that.

That is my scotch of choice, but no ice. Freeze the glass, pour, let it come to equilibrium. Perfect.

Ooh. Currently, with even the tiniest dip in temperature, I'm back to enjoying the old standards. I have long been a great fan of a classic Manhattan: I like mine a little on the dry side with a 3 to 1 rye (currently Sazerac) to sweet vermouth (Martini & Rossi or Cinzano) and a dash of bitters (Peychaud's).

But then I'll drink Wild Turkey and coke out of giant go cup with hardly any ice, so what do I know?

Also liking my old fave, champagne cocktail. With limoncello and a dry prosecco (or use your fave champagne). Put a sugar cube soaked in bitters in bottom of flute, add about an ounce of chilled limoncello and top with champagne or other sparkling wine. Yum. I always do this for holiday guests and any potentially tense family get together. When offered with a little bite of food, guaranteed to take the edge off even the oldest, crankiest female relatives who don't typically take a drink.

a good, summer margarita alternative is the rickshaw. if they are non-gin drinkers, don't tell em it's gin. they'll ask for another.

2 oz gin (works well with botanicals in bombay)

1 oz lime juice strained

1 oz basil simple syrup

shake with ice, pour into lowball glass. is good straight up as well.

basil simple syrup (makes about 12 oz)

1 cup sugar

1 cup water

1/2 cup, loosely packed sweet basil

heat like standard simple syrup. cool overnight. I leave basil in and strain when i make each drink.

• 3 weeks later...

In response to the HAIF/Alcohol paradox thread... I am adding another drink to the list:

My "quickie" margarita:

.5 shot cointreau

1.5 shot tequila (Jose Cuervo Silver)

1 shot tequila mix (Jose Cuervo kind)

1 shot = 1 oz.

Over ice, shaken in my temporary wal-mart stainless steel shaker that I have had for 6 years (some day, I going to get a nice one, I promise)… then poured into a frozen martini glass.

...quickie because of using the mix. Otherwise, I think if I substitute the mix for fresh squeezed lime juice... it would be even more yummy.

...also, reading through these recipes so far:

1.) I need to try a porchman margarita.

2.) Looks like I need some scotch

It's funny, but I haven't had hard liquor in years. It's not that I'm dry - beer is as mother's milk to me - but I just never think to buy the grown-up stuff. One that we used to like back in the day was the Midori Melonball. Midori melon liqueur, orange juice, and vodka. But more often than not it was just a martini or gin & tonic.

It's funny, but I haven't had hard liquor in years. It's not that I'm dry - beer is as mother's milk to me - but I just never think to buy the grown-up stuff. One that we used to like back in the day was the Midori Melonball. Midori melon liqueur, orange juice, and vodka. But more often than not it was just a martini or gin & tonic.

Considering my preferred bottle of Scotch can run upwards of $75, it's not a regular purchase for me wither. Mine is mostly beer as well.

Bailey's is great, or anything similar. Same goes for some coffee liqueurs. My hands down fave is Sangria.

I don't drink much at all, but I sometimes indulge in the above when the opportunity exists. All in moderation, of course.

What do you like to drink? Please share your favorite drink - and recipe.

Depends on budget, convenience, and logistical factor. Wow, three of my circumstantial favorites have already been mentioned: 18-year MacAllan (for when it's a gift), Wild Turkey and Coke--w/ice, though (as a standard well drink at a bar when I intend to get drunk quick, for instance before entering a stadium with limited selection and monopolistic pricing), and Thundirbird (for when I discover that I just ran out of liquor after 9PM or if I'm at a halloween party and want to convincingly drink fake gasoline from one of those red plastic gasoline containers).

I generally don't like complicated drinks (because I'd have to make them). I've found that Ron Rio rum and Miles' gin mix well with Tang, so that's what I drink most of the time. That'll change with my booze budget, though.

A Chik-Fil-A coffee mocha milkshake mixed with a dark rum is a good quick complex drink. Very fun. That's what I drank during Hurricane Ike.

A Chik-Fil-A coffee mocha milkshake mixed with a dark rum is a good quick complex drink. Very fun. That's what I drank during Hurricane Ike.

During or after? The only place I could find open was Empire Cafe, and I didn't even think to bring rum. I planned very badly for this hurricane. My wife, who was then not quite yet my wife, is still very fond of saying "I told you so" when it comes to my poor planning. Next time a hurricane comes to town, my first stop is Spec's, my second is to get a ton of ice, my third is to get a bunch of mixers and my last is to get meat and charcoal briquets. Maybe I'll stop at Chik-Fil-A for my fifth stop. That milkshake/rum mix sounds like a real winner, especially after it got so hot after the hurricane.

During or after? The only place I could find open was Empire Cafe, and I didn't even think to bring rum. I planned very badly for this hurricane. My wife, who was then not quite yet my wife, is still very fond of saying "I told you so" when it comes to my poor planning. Next time a hurricane comes to town, my first stop is Spec's, my second is to get a ton of ice, my third is to get a bunch of mixers and my last is to get meat and charcoal briquets. Maybe I'll stop at Chik-Fil-A for my fifth stop. That milkshake/rum mix sounds like a real winner, especially after it got so hot after the hurricane.

During. But for me it was just easier to go to San Antonio. Too bad I had to work (remotely) or I would've just gone camping in west Texas like I did for Rita.

Btw, I'll bet you could find places open in the various Texas Medical Center food courts.

• 2 months later...

Sparkling wine or champagne with a scoop of Raspberry Sorbet.

I do like Bailey's w/ coffee during the holidays or when tailgating at an early game. It's the only cream I allow in my black coffee.

Cheers!

A little drink a friend of mine came up with a few years ago. More for the Summer, but if you are feeling a bit tropical for the Holidays, this may be your drink.

Goombay Smash:

In a rocks glass with ice

Pour 1 oz. of Capt. Morgan's Rum

Pour 1 oz. of Malibu Rum

Add equal amounts of pineapple juice and sprite

Garnish with a chunk of pineapple or cherry

Feel free to use any size glass you prefer and make it a double if you wish.

gallon margaritas

6 cups tequila (cuervo silver)

2 cups triple sec (patron citronge)

2.5 cups lime juice

2.5 cups lemon juice

2 cups simple syrup

refrigerate (or freeze) to store.

pour over ice (they are tart so melting ice is critical)

made some last nite for a party and am getting calls about how good they were.

if anyone would like samples...i have one gallon left and will be home all day! PM

gallon margaritas

6 cups tequila (cuervo silver)

2 cups triple sec (patron citronge)

2.5 cups lime juice

2.5 cups lemon juice

2 cups simple syrup

refrigerate (or freeze) to store.

pour over ice (they are tart so melting ice is critical)

made some last nite for a party and am getting calls about how good they were.

if anyone would like samples...i have one gallon left and will be home all day! PM

(Shakes and ANGRY fist @ Musicman) You know I am in Houston, DAMMIT !!!

Aside from the usual Crown and Coke, Crown Royal Reserve on the rocks, or Whiskey Sour I enjoy these mixtures from time to time:

Italian Margarita:

1 ounce Tequila

1/2 ounce Triple Sec

2 ounces Sweet & Sour mix

1 ounce Amaretto

Shake with Ice and strain over Ice in a Rocks Glass.

-------------

Water Moccasin:

1 part Crown Royal

1 part Peach Schnapps

1 part Sweet and Sour mix

As a shot or or over ice in any sized glass as a full cocktail.

-------------

Lynchburg Lemonade:

1 part Jack Daniels

1 part Sweet and Sour Mix

1 part Triple Sec

4 parts Sprite

Archived