Kennedy Bakery Building/La Carafe At 813 Congress St.

kylejack

The Kennedy Building/Kennedy Bakery Building/Kennedy Trading Post/La Carafe at 813 Congress Street,

And now there's good news. The best place to smoke and drink (and think about local history) is about to get a lot bigger. LaCarafe owner Carolyn Wenglar recently closed on the parking lot next door to the ancient building that houses her old bar. Construction is underway to convert the patch of asphalt into a beer garden. Some of it will be built out of steel salvaged from the original location of Warren's -- Wenglar's other bar -- across the square from where it stands today.

It's a happy ending for an ugly and typically Houstonian chapter in tour architectural history. La Carafe's neighbor was almost as old as it was, but it was torn down in the middle of the night over the vociferous objections of preservationists, all so that about 20 more cars could have convenient parking.

That space is needed for drinkers and smokers, so that their hearty laughter can bring more life back on to that "old, crowded and tired avenue."

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2009/09/coming_to_la_carafe_more_room.php

There's no way 20 cars would fit in that space. Is that a new fence around it? I wonder how you get back there from the inside. Music, where are you? What's the scoop?

Observation: The roof on the building on the other side, that houses Cafe Adagio sure does hold a lot of water after a rain. Is that normal?

Wait a minute wait a minute... what do you mean the neighbor was torn down in the middle of the night? What did the owner have to say about this?

Presumably he was the one doing the tearing down. Maybe like a Weingarten River Oaks theater kind of thing.

Here's how it used to look. Can just barely catch a glimpse of what used to be there.

carafe.jpg

Edited by kylejack
  • Like 1

There's no way 20 cars would fit in that space. Is that a new fence around it? I wonder how you get back there from the inside. Music, where are you? What's the scoop?

in the old days you could go out back of la carafe in the alley and sit at tables but neighboring building owner started complaining and there was some legal action regarding ownership of the alley which is why that portion has been closed off for yrs. she bought the corner property about a yr ago and about 2 months ago started some preliminary work on the beer garden. i've heard various stories as to what exactly will be done (nothing definitive yet basically) but i know she's still going thru the permit process to see what she can/cannot do. she told me that the entire lot (25x80 i believe)will be utilized.

in the old days you could go out back of la carafe in the alley and sit at tables but neighboring building owner started complaining and there was some legal action regarding ownership of the alley which is why that portion has been closed off for yrs. she bought the corner property about a yr ago and about 2 months ago started some preliminary work on the beer garden. i've heard various stories as to what exactly will be done (nothing definitive yet basically) but i know she's still going thru the permit process to see what she can/cannot do. she told me that the entire lot (25x80 i believe)will be utilized.

There are actually two lots, each 25x80. The article makes it sound as if she bought the entire parking lot, making for a gargantuan 4,000 square foot beer garden. That would be a spectacular hangout.

There are actually two lots, each 25x80. The article makes it sound as if she bought the entire parking lot, making for a gargantuan 4,000 square foot beer garden. That would be a spectacular hangout.

it's ~25x80 total per the owner which is corroborated by hcad (25 x 80.77). hopefully the end result will be great for the market square area.

• 1 month later...

I talked to the bartender last night. They will not be cutting a door and there will be a separate entrance to the beer garden. This is because someone behind La Carafe owns that little alley (about 3 feet wide) between La Carafe and the corner property that was purchased and doesn't want people crossing his alley.

PS La Carafe still has a badass happy hour. House Merlot was $2.50 til 7. I forgot which wine it was but I found it pleasant.

Edited by kylejack

I talked to the bartender last night. They will not be cutting a door and there will be a separate entrance to the beer garden. This is because someone behind La Carafe owns that little alley (about 3 feet wide) between La Carafe and the corner property that was purchased and doesn't want people crossing his alley.

PS La Carafe still has a badass happy hour. House Merlot was $2.50 til 7. I forgot which wine it was but I found it pleasant.

GET OFF MY ALLEY! angry.gif

How is that going to work? Will they have a bar set up outside?

He didn't say, but hopefully people won't have to walk back out the front door to take a drink to the beer garden. I wonder if TABC would bring down the hammer for people stepping off the patio area and walking 3 feet to the beer garden with a beverage. Who am I kidding, of course they would, they're TABC.

Edited by kylejack

that side alley property (to the right of la carafe) came with la carafe and the family owns it and hcad corroborates. i believe property in contention is in back where they have the coolers and you used to have to walk thru to get to the side alley property. i will ask her when i see her.

and first thursdays they have wine tastings.

Edited by musicman

• 3 weeks later...

seems the tabc approved her project but the city denied it so the beer garden is on hold.

Just got back from La Carafe. According to them, they are working with architects to find ways around the alley issue. Such a shame.

Edited by Random

Just got back from La Carafe. According to them, the city denied the permit because there is technically an alleyway between La Carafe and the proposed beer garden. This alleyway is no more than 3-4 feet across and is probably not used by anyone. I just tried to get a perspective from Google Street view and it is narrow enough that google can't even recognize the alleyway.

An alley is an alley, even if it is 3-4 feet. The important point as far as the City and TABC are concerned is that the properties are not connected, so they cannot consider the lot as part of the beer permit. Sucks, but that's the way life is sometimes. I'm sure most of us would not want anyone to take such a cavalier attitude toward our own property lines.

There IS a way around this. They can create a new entity on the property and license that. It may be rather expensive though, as they would probably have to build restrooms.

the properties are connected via the issued permits per COH and TABC due to the balcony (the alley is also owned by the la carafe owner so all involved properties are contiguous). it appears another entity is involved which shall remain nameless at this point. watch access television in the near future. i may have to stir it up

Edited by musicman

the properties are connected via the issued permits per COH and TABC due to the balcony (the alley is also owned by the la carafe owner so all involved properties are contiguous). it appears another entity is involved which shall remain nameless at this point. watch access television in the near future. i may hsve to stir it up

Interesting. I look forward to it.

• The title was changed to La Carafe Is Getting A Beer Garden
  • The title was changed to Kennedy Bakery Building/La Carafe At 813 Congress St.