Ancient Campsite Uncovered Off Cypress Creek

mrfootball

The Chronicle is reporting that archeologists are working a site off Cypress Creek where they've uncovered an ancient campsite filled with fragments of pottery, tools, arrow heads, etc possibly dating back to 600 AD. More than 1,000 artifacts uncovered thus far within 2 meters of the surface.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6610887.html

The Chronicle is reporting that archeologists are working a site off Cypress Creek where they've uncovered an ancient campsite filled with fragments of pottery, tools, arrow heads, etc possibly dating back to 600 AD. More than 1,000 artifacts uncovered thus far within 2 meters of the surface.

http://www.chron.com...an/6610887.html

As a former archaeologist, I find this exciting. Unfortunately, during that time period there wasn't much activity in this part of Texas. Stumbling across a big site is rare in these parts. I hope they dig up some good stuff, though I doubt what they pull up will be of interest to anyone who would expect it to be as unique and ornate as the stuff from Mexico, the American Southwest or the Mississippi River valley. Also, this is just a tiny detail, but it's one that gets under the skin of archaeologists everywhere... arrowheads is an improper term. They're called points. Most likely, especially in this area, those points were on the ends of spears, not arrows. Sorry to be pedantic about it, but the word arrowhead really pisses off almost every archaeologist I've ever known.

Arrowheads!Arrowheads!Arrowheads!Arrowheads!Arrowheads!Arrowheads!Arrowheads!Arrowheads!Arrowheads!Arrowheads!Arrowheads!Arrowheads!Arrowheads!Arrowheads!Arrowheads!Arrowheads!Arrowheads!Arrowheads!Arrowheads!Arrowheads!Arrowheads!Arrowheads!Arrowheads!Arrowheads!Arrowheads!Arrowheads!Arrowheads!Arrowheads!Arrowheads!Arrowheads!Arrowheads!Arrowheads!Arrowheads!Arrowheads!Arrowheads!Arrowheads!Arrowheads!Arrowheads!Arrowheads!Arrowheads!Arrowheads!Arrowheads!Arrowheads!Arrowheads!Arrowheads!Arrowheads!Arrowheads!Arrowheads! :P

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6610887.html

I'm not sure how new this really is. I have a couple of friends who grew up in this area, and they told me years ago about how they used to find points/arrowheads along the creek.

I'm not sure how new this really is. I have a couple of friends who grew up in this area, and they told me years ago about how they used to find points/arrowheads along the creek.

I lived in Washington DC for awhile and we never found any arrowheads there, but the place was loaded with shitheads.

I remember hearing that artifacts were often found on the Bolivar Penninsula, at McFadden beach - probably from Indians. I found a big-azz tooth there one time. I came to the conclusion that it probably came from a cow or a monster.

Archived