A Safer FM 1960?

theycallmeamili

From chron.com..

Medians divide FM 1960 community

A debate is raging along the FM 1960 corridor over whether medians should be installed in the seven-lane road.

The Texas Department of Transportation awarded a bid to SCR Construction Co. Inc. for the “FM 1960 Roadway Improvement” project, which includes the installation of almost nine miles, from Interstate 45 to Texas 249, of raised concrete medians in what is now the roadway's center turn lane. Left-turn bays will interrupt those medians at key points leading into intersections, side streets and business entrances.

I personally think the medians will decrease accidents a lot, especially if they make the medians a dedicated left turn like it is on westheimer, accidents have gotten way out of hand. Plus, if 1960 becomes safer, more people would travel on 1960 instead of avoiding it and can increase business for area merchants.

Any other thoughts?

From chron.com..

Medians divide FM 1960 community

I personally think the medians will decrease accidents a lot, especially if they make the medians a dedicated left turn like it is on westheimer, accidents have gotten way out of hand. Plus, if 1960 becomes safer, more people would travel on 1960 instead of avoiding it and can increase business for area merchants.

Any other thoughts?

I agree. They're needed on FM 1960, Spring-Cypress as well as the ugly part of Louetta from Old Louetta Dr to I-45. They bring some order to the chaos created by the suicide lanes.

Yes, I'm so glad that they've decided to move forward with this project... About time. Now we need to raise enough to make these medians green.

Anything that will also make 1960 more beautiful. I am sure at one time 1960 was a nice thoroughfare from I45 - Champions, but lately it just looks a mess. I am not talking a whole The Woodlands makeover, but it does need more greenery (and a whole lot less SIGNAGE). It's just an ugly street!

Hopefully these medians will be a jump start to more greenery.

I agree with everyone else. But will these just be skinny 2-feet wide medians or 8-10 feet concrete filled medians? It will be a huge dissapointment if they're simply conrete filled. The govt should look at this as an investment in the community and add grass and trees, making it more attractive to businesses and taking some pride in their stores/stripcenters.

I agree with everyone else. But will these just be skinny 2-feet wide medians or 8-10 feet concrete filled medians? It will be a huge dissapointment if they're simply conrete filled. The govt should look at this as an investment in the community and add grass and trees, making it more attractive to businesses and taking some pride in their stores/stripcenters.

The Chamber's web site has some good info. about the plans and the benefits of going green and also how to get involved to support the green medians -- also how to donate (looks like they've already raised some money for this.)

http://www.greenmedians.org/

Anything that will also make 1960 more beautiful. I am sure at one time 1960 was a nice thoroughfare from I45 - Champions, but lately it just looks a mess. I am not talking a whole The Woodlands makeover, but it does need more greenery (and a whole lot less SIGNAGE). It's just an ugly street!

FM 1960 has looked bad for quite some time. At least 15 years now.

25-30 years ago, it looked much better with more trees, less signage and fewer ugly strip centers. Of course the road had fewer lanes as well.

yes! 1960 is the main artery for northside.. why make it look like trash the way it does now? green medians and get rid of that clutter of signs and countless driveways

I don't think anyone "made it" look that way. Problem is, there seems to be absolutely no regulations in that area. No signage laws/ordinances of any kind and the result of lax building regulations evident in unincorporated Harris County. For example, if you go into Fort Bend County (and maybe others) you'll see there are regulations on the setbacks of buildings from the street, planting shrubbery/trees between the street and parking lot, even some architectural guidelines of retail/commercial buildings. Everything just looks more aesthetically pleasing. Harris County should have done this a long time ago.

Anyway, I hope these green medians are indeed constructed on FM 1960, and the whole road perhaps cleaned up some.

Have you seen the medians they are installing on Louetta? I have not been there in a week or two, so can't be sure if they will be 'green' or not. But I know right now, lanes I used to be able to turn to and from are a nightmare to navigate -- not to mention navigating through the oncoming traffic.

• 3 months later...

Will everybody who thinks 1960 is one of the ugliest roads in Texas please send a donation to Green Medians so that we can have landscaping? Barbara Schlattman and the Green Medians committee have worked long and hard to make this a reality for all of us. Money is needed to buy grass and plants. The time is now. Green Medians , Houston Northwest Chamber of Commerce, 14511 Falling Creek, Houston 77068. The State of Texas will only put in concrete. If we want vegetation, the community needs to put it in. The MUD's along 1960 will care for the Green Medians.

Will everybody who thinks 1960 is one of the ugliest roads in Texas please send a donation to Green Medians so that we can have landscaping? Barbara Schlattman and the Green Medians committee have worked long and hard to make this a reality for all of us. Money is needed to buy grass and plants. The time is now. Green Medians , Houston Northwest Chamber of Commerce, 14511 Falling Creek, Houston 77068. The State of Texas will only put in concrete. If we want vegetation, the community needs to put it in. The MUD's along 1960 will care for the Green Medians.

oh gosh. I would hope the state would see it as an investment. but maybe it's not?

How long do we have to raise the funds before a decision is made just to pour concrete?

The drop dead date is in April. They already have about $150000. If that's it, we will have grass. The more money raised, the more complete the job. It will take about $600000 for nice size trees and seasonal bedding plants from I45 to 249. Just the thought of nice landscaping to take one's focus from ugly red and yellow signs and strip shopping centers is enough to get my attention. In the 80's we moved from Ponderosa to Maplewood. It was almost a joy to travel 610 through Bellaire after all of those billboards on I45. I hope to live long enough to see trees instead of signs on 1960. Please forgive my soliciting. My bleeding heart overtook my brain.

• 3 months later...

The drop dead date is in April. They already have about $150000. If that's it, we will have grass. The more money raised, the more complete the job. It will take about $600000 for nice size trees and seasonal bedding plants from I45 to 249. Just the thought of nice landscaping to take one's focus from ugly red and yellow signs and strip shopping centers is enough to get my attention. In the 80's we moved from Ponderosa to Maplewood. It was almost a joy to travel 610 through Bellaire after all of those billboards on I45. I hope to live long enough to see trees instead of signs on 1960. Please forgive my soliciting. My bleeding heart overtook my brain.

So does anyone know how much money was actually raised to make the medians green? Last I heard it was somewhere in the mid 400s ($400,000). Not quite enough, but enough to make some parts nice i hope.

So does anyone know how much money was actually raised to make the medians green? Last I heard it was somewhere in the mid 400s ($400,000). Not quite enough, but enough to make some parts nice i hope.

They raised $460000. The money will be turned over to TxDot who will start the work in January. The Chamber will still accept donations. The money collected will be used to hire a state approved landscaper to enhance the medians. Some very nice person did a matching $2 for every $1 collected up to $50000 fund the last couple of weeks. Bless them. It is not too late to send money for Green Medians to the Chamber. If you think 1960 is ugly, send money. Please.

• The title was changed to A Safer FM 1960?

Archived