Fort Crockett

• 1 year later...

Why?

'cause someone thinks it might sound better. You know how them marketing types are?

Just like Westpark sounds better than Alief Road, Fountain View sounds better than Ulrich, and NASA Parkway sounds better than NASA Road 1.

'cause someone thinks it might sound better. You know how them marketing types are?

Just like Westpark sounds better than Alief Road, Fountain View sounds better than Ulrich, and NASA Parkway sounds better than NASA Road 1.

Okay, so I did a little research.

An artillery battery was named after Wade Hampton at Fort Crockett, built on Galveston Island, Texas. The Wade Hampton Battery was one of four coastal artillery batteries and contained two 10-inch guns.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Crockett

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wade_Hampton_III

• 2 weeks later...

Actually I knew all that, I was just being an Ass!

We used to sneek into Fort Travis back in the late 60's when it was still private property. All you had to do was walk along the rocks up front until you could find a place to climb up the seawall. The property had been used as a fishing lodge after WWII. There was still a Coca-Cola marquee out in front of a derlict fishing pier, that read Ft. Travis Motor Court Pier. We crawled all through the bunkers back then. There were "civil defense" lockers inside one of them.

The county acquired the property during the 70's, thanks to the Moody Foundation. The parks board eventually fenced off all of the fortifications, eliminating public access to the bunker's interiors and exterior.

Ft Crockett on the other hand was always a place that most "surfers" parked in front of. You could walk all over it back then, but the owners kept the interior locked (most of the time). The San Luis deveopers thankfully saw fit to incorporste the bunker into their building plans. I hope the owners (or purchasers) of the base housing buildings have the same forsight.

• 2 months later...

0805-LOC-SW-Park-01-KMC.jpg

First phase of park construction nearly complete

By Amanda Casanova

Published August 5, 2011The Daily News

GALVESTON — The first phase of construction improvements at Fort Crockett park on the seawall should be finished within a month, a city spokeswoman said.

Construction started in December after snack-foods manufacturer Frito-Lay, maker of multigrain Sun Chips, donated $1 million to support enhancements to the park near 45th Street and Seawall Boulevard. The park, which includes both Hampton Battery and Izard Battery, was pummeled during Hurricane Ike in 2008. The first phase of work is taking place over the Hampton Battery.

“We did a lot of things underground,” said Alicia Cahill, public information officer for the city. “Now, people should notice more significant changes.”

Those changes are expected within the next few weeks and could include lines of 20 to 24 towering palm trees and other landscaping.

Pavers and bike rakes will be installed and the reconstructed park will feature Gulf-side seating and solar lighting.

The park will boast a bus stop in front of Hampton Battery.

“There will be markers that will display the history of the area, the Battery and the seawall,” Cahill said.

Next week, Cox Commercial Construction will finish the concrete work, and all improvements should be completed by early September, said John Carrara Jr., vice president of the Goodman Corp., the company overseeing the project.

The second phase of the project, expected to start in the fall, includes pulling a shade over the center of the battery park. Resembling a massive sail, the hurricane-strength shade made in Dallas will be the only covered portion on the seawall’s south side.

“This will be pretty prominent on the seawall and provide its own landmark,” Cahill said.

After the installation, the remaining pavers and other seating will be installed underneath it, Carrara said.

The park is expected to reopen to island visitors before the shade is installed.

“It’s a great enhancement to the island,” Cahill said. “Hopefully, it will be a catalyst for future enhancements along Seawall Boulevard.”

The city is waiting to find out if another $5 million to $7 million from transportation improvement grant from the Houston-Galveston Area Council will be awarded to the island.

“We’re still hopeful,” Cahill said. “The ($1 million) will be leveraged with federal transit dollars for future enhancements and accessibility improvements to seawall.”

The park project has been touted as a model of what revenue from paid parking on the seawall will be able to develop. Paid parking is expected to be implemented along the seawall next year.

It has been estimated to generate about $500,000 annually for the city.

Link: http://galvestondail...om/story/248774

• 4 months later...

I went to Wade Hampton High School, he was a civil war general on the losing side. I wonder how long it will be before that name is deemed politically incorrect.

I don't think that enough people know who he is that they'd care enough to read a letter to the editor about it.

Besides, he also became governor of one of the states of the preserved union...after the war.

I'm familiar with the large concrete casemate at Ft. Crockett under the San Luis hotel. My recollection was about a series of smaller upright concrete bunkers along Seawall Boulevard near Ft. San Jacinto on the east end. Wish I had photos to show you what I recall.

I'll be seeing a cousin (BOI) soon who might recall those fortifications. He was a teenager in Galveston during WW II.

Here's an interesting 75-page government document on Ft. Crockett replete with photos, chronology, and plans:

http://galveston.ssp.nmfs.gov/publications/pdf/897.pdf

Archived