The 'toe tester' in our master bdr shower is loose (i.e. its pipes aren't secured). The sealant has been pulled away and we're worried water may be getting into the wall.

Two questions:

How does $200 sound to cut open the wall and secure the piping

and should I have them install an access cover? It's in the master bdr, in a corner just between the bathroom door and the far wall. Otherwise, there is no access to the show pipes.

The 'toe tester' in our master bdr shower is loose (i.e. its pipes aren't secured). The sealant has been pulled away and we're worried water may be getting into the wall.

Two questions:

How does $200 sound to cut open the wall and secure the piping

and should I have them install an access cover? It's in the master bdr, in a corner just between the bathroom door and the far wall. Otherwise, there is no access to the show pipes.

too high esp if they don't do the sheetrock work to get the wall back to the same state. I'll bet a handyman would be cheaper.

I know we have a lot of scary termonology in the plumbing industry, like nipples and elbows, some even scarier like ball cocks, hootie rings and cock hole covers, but what the heck is a "toe tester". I'm guessing it's one of those "residential" things.

I'm thinking $200.00 is about tops for cutting a hole in the drywall, securing what's loose and then patch and piant. Installing an access door is a good idea, but that only reduces your costs for the next visit.

Look for an estimate that's not much more than this. Use your judgement. Hire someone that has an office, trucks, real employees and all that stuff. Stay away from the guys that hang out in front of Lowes or Home Depot.

Labor 2hrs. minimum $80.00

Materials $25.00

Truck Charge (Tools) $45.00

Taxes $12.50

I know we have a lot of scary termonology in the plumbing industry, like nipples and elbows, some even scarier like ball cocks, hootie rings and cock hole covers, but what the heck is a "toe tester". I'm guessing it's one of those "residential" things.

It's a spout down low, that lets you test the water temperature with your toe before you step into the shower.

.....If it has an escution plate or trim on it, you may try pulling that away far enough to determine if you can simply shim it tight with something ( against the tile ). If so, then you could seal it with silicone and slide the trim back down and silicone the outside edge water tight.

It is residential and useless.

In theory, this: 340x.jpg

In realty, one of these in the same place: the-bathtub-faucet-squeaky.jpg

Good news/bad news.

Turns out the 'toe tester' faucet was being held in place with a set screw over copper pipe. The caulk that had pulled away would have only dropped water inside the faucet and not the wall, as the pipe was the only object breaching the wall and it is sealed and sturdy.

Because the faucet was correded shut, I had the plumber solder an end cap on the pipe. In the mean time was have about 3 inches of copper pipe sticking out, but we have time to decide what we want to do and can focus on the rest of the house.

Best news - no water inside the wall!

I went with Nick's, they're right down the street from us and have a good bbb rating.

LOL. Never in my life have I seen or heard of one of those.

Actually... a good number of Urban Lofts homes (the metal ones) that you see everywhere... have these.

But they use a bathtub spigot (like what has been shown in this thread)...

Nothing looks funnier in a shower... than a bathtub spigot about 8" from the shower pan floor... It looks so out of place.

never heard it called a toe tester but yes i've seen it more as a foot washer. since most bathtub fixtures come as a set, the only difference from a tub installation is a longer pipe behind the wall and the plumber will add more for installation costs.

I've never seen or heard of this device, ever. It seems completely wasteful and extravagant. Over the top indulgence. I must have one immediately!!

Since it is nearly impossible to find a shower only kit, you usually end up with a bathtub spigot when you buy the showerhead. I suspect that these goofy things got their start because someone did not want to throw away a perfectly good spigot. So, it is not wasteful, but actually the opposite....but still completely stupid. Luckily, I had the good sense to simply throw the extra spigot in the garage where it belonged. ;)

The toe tester in a shower isn't a new idea. It's a great way to avoid being hit with a scalding or freezing blast when you turn on the shower. My folks had one in an original tile shower stall at their '50's Bellaire house; it never needed maintenance and was still working when the property was sold a few years ago.

Now, if you want to see prime examples of "conspicuous consumption" in bathroom fixtures, just pay a visit to some of Houston's upscale plumbing showrooms...totally unnecessary stuff with astronomical price tags and a nightmare to install.

Seeing that picture of the spigot and foot triggered my memory of having to install a similar device at Methodist Hospital a few years back. It wasn't a "toe tester" like the one being described but an actual foot washing basin.

Guest Services had requested that one be installed in the public toilet rooms closest to the "Muslim Prayer Room". Apparently too many people were getting freaked out upon entering the toilet room at certain times of the day, only to be greeted by someone with their feet up in the lavatory. The basin was a simple floor sink arrangement with a goose-neck faucet and wrist blade handles. We installed a grid drain in lieu of a pop up drain to prevent unintentional flooding.

The fixtures are still there, I presume. It's the toilet rooms right outside the B100 Fondren Room.

Archived