HISD has a Q & A on the project, but apparently it's only available to employees. http://www.houstonisd.org/HISD/portal/arti...6841553,00.html

I wish the new HQ could be built in Downtown Houston, but alas...

Maybe the next "could" be built downtown.

For now, the new one is nearing completion in the parking lot of Demar Stadium.

B)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Last night I was discussing all the big projects slated to go up around the Gallaria, Upper Kirby, Westcreek, Richmond, etc. One of the persons I was discussing this is Real Estate Broker who works on two very high profile Retail projects. He is credible and knows all the players involved with most of the deals.

The rumor he heard was that Costco was going to be taking over the big HISD site at Richmond and Westlayan. With so many players chasing the same tenant base it makes sense that some of the delopments will never get off the ground. The owners of this tract are aware of this and might be willing to make a deal with Costco. Hmmmm.

I know many will be livid if this occurs. I too think it is a waste of a huge opportunity to offer a unique use for the site. Of course on the flip side, all those wealthy people living inside the loop will have a Costco for to send the Housekeeper too.

Again, this is by no means concrete information. I just thought it was worth passing along.

Editor: I could not find the original thread about the Richmond site, so I apologize if this thread needs to be linked to another.

Edited by Trophy Property

what i heard just yesterday is that morgan and crow are having a hell of a time finding retail commitments due to the possibility of rail going down richmond. the problem is two fold if it in fact does happen:

1) richmond will be torn up and the accessability will be absolutely terrible for some time (look at main)

2) if metro doesnt put a stop in front, the site will get double-donged (as in construction and then no stop)

they have up a huge letter of credit with hisd. if they end up not closing, its gonna be REAL ugly.

what i heard just yesterday is that morgan and crow are having a hell of a time finding retail commitments due to the possibility of rail going down richmond. the problem is two fold if it in fact does happen:

1) richmond will be torn up and the accessability will be absolutely terrible for some time (look at main)

2) if metro doesnt put a stop in front, the site will get double-donged (as in construction and then no stop)

they have up a huge letter of credit with hisd. if they end up not closing, its gonna be REAL ugly.

Thanks, that is why I love this site. I had not heard that angle before, although it makes total sense. Main street was a total dissastor for years. One day there was bars, restuarants and life along Main and the next it was gone. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

I was surprised to hear that HISD is actually keeping the building for some other purpose. I think Terry Abbott said either training or lease portions of it to other businesses.

So the deal is dead all together. Wow, I figured it was pretty much a done deal. How have they not closed on the land by now. I also thought that HISD had already vacated the buildings.

So the deal is dead all together. Wow, I figured it was pretty much a done deal. How have they not closed on the land by now. I also thought that HISD had already vacated the buildings.

When they moved..Terry went on channel 13 and said that they were keeping the Taj Mahal. It really surprised me cause watchdog groups were complaining for years that the building was too wasteful. Don't know whether he was blowing smoke but that's sure what he said on the news.

Costco? No way.

Why not? In Dallas, about 40% of the former Prestonwood mall was turned into a Super Wal-mart even though the area is mostly high-income. My experience is that the Wal-mart is very lightly patronized by Walmart standards.

HISD has a responsibility to taxpayers to get the highest possible price for the property, even if it means a Costco or Super Walmart.

I think it will be a plus for the inner loop to have a variety of retail opportunities, including big box retail.

However, as other posts noted, nothing may happen for the time being until the rail issue is settled or construction is complete.

Note the HISD - Costco topic was appended to the earlier HISD land topic.

Looks like it may not happen after all, but I didn't think Costco was such a bad idea. Inside the loop lacks a lot of low-price shopping options.

Thanks Subdude. I should Now we have one big thread !!!

As for the prvious post, maybe it should be on another thread, but Many of the resturants and bars closed down on Main or went through a horrible slump while the Rail project was being built. I might have exageratd a tad (which I tend to do) but I clearly remember all that reatil by Rice slumping bigtime.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Looks like two older trailers used for classrooms and the Taj are left standing. Does anyone have an update on this property? A prior post mentioned Costco possibly locating a store there. Any truth to the rumor?

Scharpe St Guy

The tax office is getting ready to come down, they removed all the glass from the building recently.

• 2 weeks later...
Musicman, thanks for the update. Can't wait to have a new and closer Costco to go to.

Scharpe St Guy

crap. :angry2: with costco coming there is no chance of this thing being the dense development they promised. another vacuous parking lot. how can you possibly want another parking lot? we can only hope they do a parking garage to conserve space for other retail development. why didn't they put the costco some place else that already has a lot of concrete? how about 610 and 290? this news totally ruined my day. it'll be an even worse eyesore than the CVS in midtown.

crap. :angry2: with costco coming there is no chance of this thing being the dense development they promised. another vacuous parking lot. how can you possibly want another parking lot? we can only hope they do a parking garage to conserve space for other retail development. why didn't they put the costco some place else that already has a lot of concrete? how about 610 and 290? this news totally ruined my day. it'll be an even worse eyesore than the CVS in midtown.

Yeah I know what you mean. But according to the Chronicle

The school district sold the large, concrete building at 3830 Richmond for $38 million to a company thatplans to build a mixed-use development on the site

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headli...ro/4188462.html

So maybe it's Costco and mixed use. I do hope they do a lot more than just another box store

Yeah I know what you mean. But according to the Chronicle

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headli...ro/4188462.html

So maybe it's Costco and mixed use. I do hope they do a lot more than just another box store

Sure, they'll mix the Costco with a bank branch or two and a gas station.

Seriously though, people like Costco. It'll be a neighborhood amenity.

• 3 weeks later...