They want to get rid of the Taj Mahal because that atrium uses too much electricity to keep cool. Good idea, but too extravagant for a school district. Whatever happens there I hope they keep a hard edge by the street instead of having parking lots in front. I hate that.

Guest Plastic

Man, why does this server let threads get so long? I mean we got 30 replies on the same page.

And on the HISD building, all I know is that htose big humps ontop of the building were originally for canons.

The drawings of the proposed development looks great. It would really fill in the area and make is a real urban place. All the apartments along Cummins could easily supply a steady pedestrian source.

The area already pulls in a crowd for the Edwards cinema. This will give them more of a reason to stay in the area.

Man, why does this server let threads get so long? I mean we got 30 replies on the same page.

And on the HISD building, all I know is that htose big humps ontop of the building were originally for canons.

You crack me up plastic.

Also if you hate having fifty posts per page then just change it, it is that simple.

Yeah...the cannons...the ones to pick off the aliens on Timmons...those cannons...I happen to know it because that's what the plate in my head just told me...

What? What's that you say? A comet? From the planet Zyclap? Headed for HISD HQ?

ALL HANDS ON DECK, PLASTIC!!! MAN THE CANNONS!!!!! :blink:

B)

I don't know how many of you know, but this building was originally, the HATCU building, or Houston Area Teachers Credit Union building, until about 1978, when they sold it to HISD and moved out on 290 where they had built a much larger 12 story building, at the corner of 290 & w.43rd. i used to go into the HISD building fairly often as a child in the 70's, my mother worked there for HATCU. I remember as a child it being very caverness. With lots of earthtones inside. It was the 70's, and the inside of that building's decor screamed it.

Edited by TJones

I don't know how many of you know, but this building was originally, the HATCU building, or Houston Area Teachers Credit Union building, until about 1978, when they sold it to HISD and moved out on 290 where they had built a much larger 12 story building, at the corner of 290 & w.43rd. i used to go into the HISD building fairly often as a chilc in the 70's, my mother worked there for HATCU. I remember as a child it being very caverness. With lots of earthtones inside. It was the 70's, and the inside of that building's decor screamed it.

I'm pretty sure you have your history confused. Perhaps the credit union at one time had an office in the HISD Building, but the building was built by the school district and has always been the HISD Administration headquarters.

I'm pretty sure you have your history confused. Perhaps the credit union at one time had an office in the HISD Building, but the building was built by the school district and has always been the HISD Administration headquarters.

I apologize, HATCU, was actually in a twin building behind the HISD building, they looked very similar, but I just found out the HATCU building was torn down, by HISD. I knew I wasn't going crazy. Just a little off on my bearings. I apologize.

Edited by TJones

The land sale has already been agreed upon. Now it just the wait time for all the other pieces to fall in to place.

I haven't seen any timetable. I'll guess we'll know something when construction fences and demolition crews show up.

Now it just the wait time for all the other pieces to fall in to place.

what are you talking about? crow and morgan are doing the deal and the only thing they are waiting on is for hisd to complete construction over by delmar.

they have up a HUGE letter of credit that they will not back out of, regardless of market conditions. actually, the only way they would hypothetically back out is if there was a nuclear winter and everyone was FUBARed ;)

timetable for demolition is within a year. see posts above to refresh your memory.

Within a year for some posters on this board is eternity. They'll start posting that it's never going to happen unless something happens the day after the developer acquires the land.

The pieces I'm talking about:

demolition, site cleanup, and getting all permits.

I'm wondering if the city will require detention since the site is fairly large, maybe they'll claim the are not putting any increased imperviouse cover and not need it.

I'm all happy for this project. It will make the Greenway Plaza area like it's own mini-uptown.

Within a year for some posters on this board is eternity. They'll start posting that it's never going to happen unless something happens the day after the developer acquires the land.

so "some" posters will whine about it since they don't think its ever going to be built. who cares?? let them complain here until their fingers cramp, if they so desire. demoed within a year and then it will be built in phases. this could take up to 2 or 3 years after demo is complete.

The pieces I'm talking about:

demolition, site cleanup, and getting all permits.

:huh:
The land sale has already been agreed upon. Now it just the wait time for all the other pieces to fall in to place.

I haven't seen any timetable. I'll guess we'll know something when construction fences and demolition crews show up.

eh, nevermind....

Is it still going to be Trammel Crow or are they spinning this off with their hotel/residential business?

to my knowledge, the only thing tc is spinning off is their management business.

based upon what ive been told by reliable sources, tc will do the office/retail/hotel (if there is one) and morgan will do the residential.

Pretty cool project renderings. I hope it looks similar to that when finished.

Honesty, do you think it will ever start?

The only project in Houston that I trust right now is the Memorial City Center thats getting built. The reason why is because they announced it and they began construction about a month latter. Now that is quick action!

Honesty, do you think it will ever start?

The only project in Houston that I trust right now is the Memorial City Center thats getting built. The reason why is because they announced it and they began construction about a month latter. Now that is quick action!

Well rereading that thread, it was annouced in March, but doesn't sound like it started construction till June. Also, do you not trust any of the other projects under construction around town?

Well rereading that thread, it was annouced in March, but doesn't sound like it started construction till June. Also, do you not trust any of the other projects under construction around town?

Yeah, I trust the ones that have started, but I was talking mostly big projects.