Lola Restaurant At 1102 Yale St.

segovia

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
did you "hear" that when you read the link a few replies ahead of yours? smile.gif

I hear it might be the same people that own Dragon Bowl. wink.gif

I hear it's a pizza with noodles concept. Who needs a red sauce when you have hoisin?

From fredeatshouston.com:

Ken Bridge is at it again.

The Heights restaurant genius (Dragon Bowl Asian Bistro, Pink's Pizza) is up to his usual tricks with a new venture which should add some culinary depth to the old neighborhood.

Lola.

Lola is located in the 1100 Block of Yale at the intersection with 11th Street. Sitting on the NE corner, Lola will fill the space across the street from the post office that has been empty for many months. (I can't tell you how many times my wife and I have commented to each other that it would be a great spot for a restaurant) For years, Eckerd Drugs made the corner it's home, but the building was vacated when Eckerd closed and it fell into disrepair.

Recently, however, the structure was purchased and fully renovated. A health club has already moved into the North corner becoming the building's first tenant.

Mr. Bridge's vision is a full-service restaurant serving three squares a day to the neighborhood folks. "Breakfast, lunch and dinner will be served seven days a week." he states. A welcome change in an area where most places close on Sunday.

Fresh, local ingredients and on-the-spot preparation will be key, as in Mr. Bridge's other ventures.

The star at breakfast will be omelets "made-to-order" for patrons who will have a dazzling list of ingredient choices ranging from broccoli to prosciutto and everything in between. Lunch and dinner will feature American comfort foods at "small-town" prices right here in the big city.

Mr. Bridge hopes to obtain a club license, much like Shade on 19th, so that guests will be able to enjoy an adult beverage with a meal by joining the club rather than having to carry a bottle along with them to dinner.

An opening date is not yet firm, but Ken and his team can be seen daily working to get the space ready for business and the sign is already up announcing the new diner to passersby.

In addition to being a landmark hit song from the 70's, Lola, it appears, will soon be a landmark diner in The Heights. I will be first in line.

Thanks so much for putting The Kinks song into my head so early this morning. It will rest there and the chorus will churn in my brain for the next several hours. "L-O-L-A Looooooola"

For some reason, I keep hearing 'Destroyer', also by the Kinks, instead.

Met a girl called lola and I took her back to my place

Feelin guilty, feelin scared, hidden cameras everywhere

Stop! hold on. stay in control.

Sounds like a healthy Pig Stand. And walking distance! I can dig it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I stopped by on Sunday night and chatted with the operator of Lola's. Looks like they're going to try to open up tonight or tomorrow.\

He handed me a menu and it looked pretty good-- upscale diner/comfortish food (can chilean sea bass be comfort food?)

Looks like it'll be hard to leave under $15 even for lunch. However, if the food tastes as good as the descriptions, it'll be worth it-- some tasty sounding menu items are there. It looks great on the inside and will have outdoor seating under shade and fans!

I'm going to try to check it out later this week.

I stopped by on Sunday night and chatted with the operator of Lola's. Looks like they're going to try to open up tonight or tomorrow.\

He handed me a menu and it looked pretty good-- upscale diner/comfortish food (can chilean sea bass be comfort food?)

Looks like it'll be hard to leave under $15 even for lunch. However, if the food tastes as good as the descriptions, it'll be worth it-- some tasty sounding menu items are there. It looks great on the inside and will have outdoor seating under shade and fans!I'm going to try to check it out later this week.

this is key! i am so looking forward to it.

I ate there yesterday for lunch. They just had a few of their items available. The entire menu looks delicious! Very cool, clean atmosphere with great windows. I felt like the prices were reasonable. Breakfast seemed like it would be a little pricey, but their lunch menu (I had a steak sandwich, fries, and a drink and it ran me $13) and dinner selections looked to be reasonable ($11-$15). My sandwich was great and the fries were good (a little too salty for me). Can't wait to go back.

I am going to have to give them another chance another time.

We went this morning and we were patient because the Dragon Bowl opening was so very chaotic. We imagined having similar issues, but it was sadly worse for us.

We waited for 45 minutes. No one checked on us and we had the toddler so it really stinks to wait while hungry. I finally waddled my 9 mos. pregnant self up there to ask if the kitchen was really 45 minutes behind (receipt time-stamped).

Turned out it was a good thing I checked, because somehow they lost our order. They took my receipt and never gave it back. Had to ask for my order again because the electronic system doesn't really note the specifics. It was not exactly right, but we did not return it. We needed to eat.

They offered nothing, not even a refill of son's milk for the wait.

They did get the order out in five minutes after being notified (much more like it for cooking some eggs).

Toddler meltdown lasted the whole rest of the morning. Thanks guys.

They will get another chance from me, but I was a little disappointed. You don't make 9 mos. pregnant women or families with toddlers wait for 45 minutes and just say oops.

-- I'm not ready to pan them - looked like everyone else got quick service. If they're reading, however, I ask please pay attention. I am the one who left you a note about the above, because I know it can be fixed.

The menu sounds fab.

Yeah, that kind of service should be reserved for lesser humans, such as single males and homely women.

Remember the adult pasttime of going out to breakfast on the weekends?

Now it's impossible, thanks to families who bring their hungry, cranky children-- who would rather be at home in their jammies eating cereal and watching cartoons --to noisy, crowded restaurants at 9 in the morning, and then blame the restaurant for unhappy children.

Remember the adult pasttime of going out to breakfast on the weekends?

Now it's impossible, thanks to families who bring their hungry, cranky children-- who would rather be at home in their jammies eating cereal and watching cartoons --to noisy, crowded restaurants at 9 in the morning, and then blame the restaurant for unhappy children.

So bad parenting or kids being brats is a new thing? People who blame restaurants for them not being able to keep their kids occupied is pretty sad, but not all parents are like that.

I am going to have to give them another chance another time.

We went this morning and we were patient because the Dragon Bowl opening was so very chaotic. We imagined having similar issues, but it was sadly worse for us.

We waited for 45 minutes. No one checked on us and we had the toddler so it really stinks to wait while hungry. I finally waddled my 9 mos. pregnant self up there to ask if the kitchen was really 45 minutes behind (receipt time-stamped).

Turned out it was a good thing I checked, because somehow they lost our order. They took my receipt and never gave it back. Had to ask for my order again because the electronic system doesn't really note the specifics. It was not exactly right, but we did not return it. We needed to eat.

They offered nothing, not even a refill of son's milk for the wait.

They did get the order out in five minutes after being notified (much more like it for cooking some eggs).

Toddler meltdown lasted the whole rest of the morning. Thanks guys.

They will get another chance from me, but I was a little disappointed. You don't make 9 mos. pregnant women or families with toddlers wait for 45 minutes and just say oops.

-- I'm not ready to pan them - looked like everyone else got quick service. If they're reading, however, I ask please pay attention. I am the one who left you a note about the above, because I know it can be fixed.

The menu sounds fab.

Next time a new restaurant opens, how about you just wait a few weeks before going? When a place is brand new you have the double-edged sword of staff with little training and lots of people who want to try the restaurant, so yes you may have to wait 45 minutes even if you are a pregnant woman with toddlers.

went today for lunch with my **gasp** baby and unruly toddler.

kids' menu is lacking. i would like to see more than 4 options(and before you make nasty comments about how i should keep my kids at home, Lola will have families there. all.the.time. non-kid friendly patrons will be the minority and by catering to families, the restaurant will always have business).

husband's chicken salad was incredibly dry but the fries were very good. on the salty side, as someone else mentioned, but that's how i like them so they were good for me.

i got the steak & onions sandwich. YUM! order came out wrong the 1st time, but they were apologetic and proper dish came quickly. i was worried that it wouldn't be good because i can't eat cheese right now (damn kids again) but it was super juicy and the onions were sweet. had the side salad- house dressing was very good but the salad was too plain. lettuce only. dice up some tomatoes and hearts of palm. that would be great with the semi-sweet vinaigrette.

like others, i am really looking forward to the dinner menu in the next couple of weeks.

Next time a new restaurant opens, how about you just wait a few weeks before going? When a place is brand new you have the double-edged sword of staff with little training and lots of people who want to try the restaurant, so yes you may have to wait 45 minutes even if you are a pregnant woman with toddlers.

I accepted waiting. I did not accept being forgotten and having my order lost. I was in line of sight for the cashier for whom things slowed down enough that she was looking at us and no longer taking orders. She could have noticed.

I was there - you weren't. My expectations of giving an order and having it fulfilled were not out of line. Like I said - I waited 45 minutes before checking because they are new. If I had never checked, it would not have ever been filled. This is not slow kitchen.

My condition and those in my party compounded the problem, sure. And, my son's version of a meltdown is probably any other parent's dream. If it were really bratty maybe someone would have noticed - he does not scream he just starts being contrary to any of my suggestions.

This, however, was not the ROOT of the problem. That was their inability to keep track of an order. ANYONE (especially us) would have expected that the order was somewhere in the system - not completely lost and forgotten.

And - what I expected - was a nod of acceptance about the mistake like refilling the milk. That is not too much to ask, imo.

I accepted waiting. I did not accept being forgotten and having my order lost. I was in line of sight for the cashier for whom things slowed down enough that she was looking at us and no longer taking orders. She could have noticed.

I was there - you weren't. My expectations of giving an order and having it fulfilled were not out of line. Like I said - I waited 45 minutes before checking because they are new. If I had never checked, it would not have ever been filled. This is not slow kitchen.

My condition and those in my party compounded the problem, sure. And, my son's version of a meltdown is probably any other parent's dream. If it were really bratty maybe someone would have noticed - he does not scream he just starts being contrary to any of my suggestions.

This, however, was not the ROOT of the problem. That was their inability to keep track of an order. ANYONE (especially us) would have expected that the order was somewhere in the system - not completely lost and forgotten.

And - what I expected - was a nod of acceptance about the mistake like refilling the milk. That is not too much to ask, imo.

Now, seriously - I'm not trying to be insulting or start a flame war or anything, I swear... but I've got to ask - why did you wait 45 minutes? If the order consisted of eggs, why not ask what the holdup was after 10, maybe 15 minutes at the max? I'm not defending the restaurant's position or (in)action at all. I'm just saying that small neighborhood restaurant or most expensive hoity-toity restaurant on the planet... 45 minutes is a hell of a long time to wait for breakfast.

Archived