Why do you live in Houston?

You make the best of the situation you're in, even if you think that the place you live is generally culturally-limited and wrong-headed.

You could just change your situation to one that is more favorable and then complain less. Win-win.

I'm pissed that the city's bike infrastructure is so horrible, but I still ride in Critical Mass every month to promote cycling and cyclist awareness.

And thank you so much for that! :) I was already aware of unicycles and tricycles, but could never have conceived that there might be such a thing as a bicycle. My universe of options regarding man-powered wheeled vehicles was expanded! It was as though I had witnessed the son of god, clad in spandex, pedaling right past me, confirming that there is indeed a purpose in life. I've been saved! Hallelujah!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

???

What do you mean? You take an interest in the things you're most interested in, attend the events you're most excited about, support the venues and stores that suit you best, few and far between though they may be. There's a lot of crappy pizza places in Houston, but I'm happy to support Star Pizza and I'm sure many others have their own favorite place. Houston is really bad about historical preservation for the most part, so when I see an opportunity to scream at a developer like Weingarten for trying to tear down the River Oaks theater, well, I'm going to take that opportunity. You make the best of the situation you're in, even if you think that the place you live is generally culturally-limited and wrong-headed. I'm pissed that the city's bike infrastructure is so horrible, but I still ride in Critical Mass every month to promote cycling and cyclist awareness.

I agree with you even though I actually like it here, and moved back here to be closer to the coast. However, the other poster doesn't appear to do what you and sevfiv do (at least from looking at his posting habits).

As much as I love Houston, even I don't know if I will stay here my entire life. There are way too many variables, such as job prospects, how well the retirement account does, whether the home values in the Heights keep going up, allowing me to cash out with enough equity to buy somewhere else. But, Houston is good enough to retire in for me. Moving to the sticks or to colder climes at the EXACT time in one's life that they need good medical care and warm weather makes no sense to me. My parents are in their 80s. The house is paid, the AC works, and the doctors and hospitals are less than 5 miles away. My mom wouldn't even consider moving back to North Carolina, because it is 'too cold'. That tells me a lot about cold weather and old people. It is easy to talk smack when you are in your 20s and 30s about how great cold weather is. Get back to me when you can't get out of bed due to the cold aggravating your arthritis.

Though every city has its pluses and minuses, you have to go with what works for you. Houston works for me because I have family here, the Gulf nearby, and year round warm weather. The cost of living allows me to live comfortably working at a job that pays less, but demands less as well. It works for me. But, just as I am not interested in convincing the hip and cool that Houston is a great city, neither am I interested in convincing the terminally depressed who live here that it is great. If Houston doesn't work for you, for god's sake, LEAVE! Life's too short to be stuck in Clear Lake your whole life, and frankly, I don't want to hear you whine about it. There may not be any jobs in Seattle, but I'm sure they'd love to have one more depressed resident. Maybe I'll even come visit when it is not the rainy season.

And thank you so much for that! :) Iwas already aware of unicycles and tricycles, but could never haveconceived that there might be such a thing as a bicycle. My universeof options regarding man-powered wheeled vehicles was expanded! It wasas though I had witnessed the son of god, clad in spandex, pedalingright past me, confirming that there is indeed a purpose in life. I'vebeen saved! Hallelujah!

Most cyclist accidents are caused by inattentive motorists, so projects to make bikes more noticeable are at the top of my list. Not to mention its a lot of fun.

:wacko: not this again. where are you having trouble riding your bike?

I almost got right-hooked coming back on Westheimer from the Hatch Chile Festival on Saturday. If I had a small bike lane the motorist might have noticed me before he bumped me rather than after. Thank goodness his wife was in the passenger seat screaming at him that there was a bike.

I almost got right-hooked coming back on Westheimer from the Hatch Chile Festival on Saturday. If I had a small bike lane the motorist might have noticed me before he bumped me rather than after. Thank goodness his wife was in the passenger seat screaming at him that there was a bike.

the great thing is with the grid in houston, there are plenty of alternatives that are more relaxing. it's unfortunate that not everyone utilizes them.

the great thing is with the grid in houston, there are plenty of alternatives that are more relaxing. it's unfortunate that not everyone utilizes them.

Gray is worse. Alabama is better, but a little out of my way. Too many stop signs and blind corners on the little neighborhood streets, though they can be fun when I'm not in a hurry. I do think its funny, though, that you ask me where I have trouble riding and when I tell you your response is essentially "well don't ride there." My underlying point, though, was that I am making the best of an imperfect situation.

Though every city has its pluses and minuses, you have to go with what works for you. Houston works for me because I have family here, the Gulf nearby, and year round warm weather. The cost of living allows me to live comfortably working at a job that pays less, but demands less as well.

That's a good way of putting a finer point on the COL thing. I can make a very respectable living here in a traditionally cutthroat business without having to be miserable working 60+ hour weeks, and without the pressure to climb the management ladder or get out. I still wish that I had gone to Manhattan when I was younger and motivated to scrap by, just to have had the NY experience for a while. The grind of business there to keep my head above water would have just burned me out. It is very easy to maintain work/life balance here. Very important for slightly lazy people like myself who prefer to be near the coast! I would never be truly happy being landlocked. Dallas is too far. Lakes aren't the same.

I'm not saying I wouldn't leave, but it would need to be for a damn good reason, and a bigger salary or title no longer qualifies as good reason. And since I take the sun over cold and damp any day, well, it's working out for me ok. Houston gives me all the freedom I need to be my own bad self.

Gray is worse. Alabama is better, but a little out of my way. Too many stop signs and blind corners on the little neighborhood streets, though they can be fun when I'm not in a hurry. I do think its funny, though, that you ask me where I have trouble riding and when I tell you your response is essentially "well don't ride there." My underlying point, though, was that I am making the best of an imperfect situation.

There's no such thing as a perfect situation if you want to ride freely across this or any other city. If you're going to ride you have to accept some inconveniences. There's a cost/benefit to everything. It could start raining while you are out. One of the benefits of biking is that you get to slow down a bit and become more a part of your environment. Every time I bike I notice something new, be it a cafe, store, cool house, or maybe just a nice shady spot to rest. If you're in a hurry, take a car. If you're going to bike, take the back roads where you can. It's much safer and sometimes just as or almost as quick as trying to ride a major artery. But if you are going to ride a major road, then take the sidewalk where you can.

Frankly, I don't care if they stripe every road with bike lanes, sometimes it's just safer and easier to ride the sidewalks. I never even consider riding the lanes on Westheimer and where I'm at it's 4 lanes in each direction going 40+ mph. If you're expecting grade separated bike lanes and no interaction at all with cars during your ride then you'd better stick to the park trails, not only in this city but in every city.

There's no such thing as a perfect situation if you want to ride freely across this or any other city. If you're going to ride you have to accept some inconveniences. There's a cost/benefit to everything.

Of course I am, and that is why I try to make the best of it. Some cities are much more bike-friendly, like Austin for example. Austin doesn't have the job market that Houston does, so here I am.

It could start raining while you are out. One of the benefits of biking is that you get to slow down a bit and become more a part of your environment. Every time I bike I notice something new, be it a cafe, store, cool house, or maybe just a nice shady spot to rest. If you're in a hurry, take a car. If you're going to bike, take the back roads where you can. It's much safer and sometimes just as or almost as quick as trying to ride a major artery. But if you are going to ride a major road, then take the sidewalk where you can.

Yes I know all this, but please note that riding your bike on the sidewalk is illegal in most places in Houston (any place where there is a business on either side of the road within 100 ft). That's not to say I don't do it anyway when road conditions are bad and sidewalk conditions are good, but I'm always aware that I might be ticketed, and I never ever do it when I see pedestrians on the sidewalk.

Of course I am, and that is why I try to make the best of it. Some cities are much more bike-friendly, like Austin for example. Austin doesn't have the job market that Houston does, so here I am.

Yes I know all this, but please note that riding your bike on the sidewalk is illegal in most places in Houston (any place where there is a business on either side of the road within 100 ft). That's not to say I don't do it anyway when road conditions are bad and sidewalk conditions are good, but I'm always aware that I might be ticketed, and I never ever do it when I see pedestrians on the sidewalk.

I know we covered this somewhere already, but tell me again why Austin is much more bike-friendly than Houston. Are you talking the entire city of Austin, or just a neighborhood you used to bike? I'm in Austin every month or two and haven't noticed any greater effort put into Austin's bike network or any great advantage to bike mobility there. Plus, the real problem, aggressive or inattentive drivers, isn't any better in Austin than it is in Houston. Also, check the regs...I think the law is 300 ft of continuous commercial, not 100ft from any business. At any rate, live a little and ride the sidewalk if the street is dangerous. I'd much rather explain that I'm trying to avoid an accident in the unlikely event I'm stopped than ending up a statistic.

Maybe I meant to say 100 yards, not sure. But either way, most inner loop areas I travel in are not going to be eligible for sidewalk riding.

Edit: Yeah, you're right, here it is:

Section 45-302

No person shall ride a bicycle upon a sidewalk inthe City of Houston within a business district or where prohibited by sign. Abusiness district is defined as "the territory contiguous to and includinga roadway when, within 600 feet along such roadway, there are buildings in usefor business or industrial purpose which occupy 300 feet collectively on bothsides of the roadway". Also, bicyclists are required to yield topedestrians and give an audible signal to pedestrians when riding on approvedsidewalks. (In general, bicyclists are permitted to ride on sidewalks unlessprohibited by local ordinances, although experienced cyclists usually agreethat it is much safer to ride on the street and follow the laws as they applyto any other vehicle.)

???

What do you mean? You take an interest in the things you're most interested in, attend the events you're most excited about, support the venues and stores that suit you best, few and far between though they may be. There's a lot of crappy pizza places in Houston, but I'm happy to support Star Pizza and I'm sure many others have their own favorite place. Houston is really bad about historical preservation for the most part, so when I see an opportunity to scream at a developer like Weingarten for trying to tear down the River Oaks theater, well, I'm going to take that opportunity. You make the best of the situation you're in, even if you think that the place you live is generally culturally-limited and wrong-headed. I'm pissed that the city's bike infrastructure is so horrible, but I still ride in Critical Mass every month to promote cycling and cyclist awareness.

It's really telling that one of your interests is to scream at a developers like Weingarten. Now I get it, you stay in Houston because you like to complain. You won't move away because there wouldn't be enough to complain about in other cities and you must enjoy being miserable. Just kidding.

I agree that unless you are some kind of sadist, you have to focus on the positive and make the most out of every situation even if it is not all good. But, obviously nothing in Houston is bad enough or culturally limited to extent that you don't fit right in to the point that it would make you leave or you would have left already. I just think that if people are going to go online and make lists out of everything they the don't like, they should 'fess up and admit that none of those thing are important enough to make them leave.

The people who say they dislike Houston yet choose to stay are living proof that the positives out weigh the negatives. For all the unhappiness they are 'forced' to endure, there are enough things in this city to keep them 'interested' however far and few between - I guess it must be just enough to make life bearable.

The negatives outweighed the positives in L.A. for me so I don't live there anymore. But when I did live there I could see no good reason for going on to the internet everyday and telling all the people who like it what a dump their town was. What would be the point?

This is not putting lipstick on a pig. This is just exposing hypocrisy. BTW- I'm not talking about the people who come here just to argue about things like whether or not light rail should be constructed or what to do with the Astrodome - I'm talking about the ones who show up just to say "Houston sucks".

BTW, Bicycles suck. I hate bicycles. I don't own one and I have no interest in bicycle culture or bicyclist. Can someone please direct me to a bicycling enthusiast website so that I can write a lot of post complaining about bicycle issues. That sounds like a fun and productive thing to do with my leisure time.

Yeah Coaster needs to take that anti-bike nonsense somewhere else...maybe to the trails at memorial with your dog...

I guess I took the question a little differently. i CAME here for the job, no doubt. I looked for a job here because 1) I wanted to move after living in the same place for 23 years, and 2) I had a few friends here already. i STAY here because I like my job enough, it's only a 4 hour drive back to the families (great thing with 1.6 kids), and I'm not motivated enough to look for a new start in the job world. There aren't other companies that do exactly what I do. So yeah, the weather and landscape suck, I wouldn't choose those ever, but there are other things that factor in to being somewhere.

no it sounds like you're making a situation worse than it has to be by choosing to ride on busy streets and then complain that you were almost run off the road. usually when i'm in a hurry i'll drive myself instead of taking the bus or biking however you choose to take a slower mode of transportation.

In just about every city I've ever lived in, you come across those that don't "mesh" with the city. And that's fine - and that's to be expected. In fact, as much as I like Houston, I can understand how Houston more so than most cities would not agree with a lot of people. What I don't get are those that say, "If it wasn't for a job I wouldn't stay." Now, assuming those aren't just greedy assholes working a job for love of the greenback but rather to support their families, that ought to be one BIG plus for the city. And evidently by your decision to stay it would appear that would be the most important thing in your life. If it isn't, then leave. And not for my benefit, or the the benefit of the "love it or leave it crowd" but for yourself. Don't force yourself to be in a city where you are unhappy. If you can't find a job to support your lifestyle in a city of your choosing, then think about thanking Houston for what it has given you.

I lived in Brownsville, TX for a number of years and would never move back. But during my time there I learned to appreciate what made the area special and shut up about the things I didn't like. Because let's be hoenst, it's just my opinion and those things I didn't "get" suit other people just fine. I mean, what made my opinion right and other people wrong? And arguing those points just made me look like a stubborn, uptight asshole.

And BryanS - as far as retiring in Houston, I could easily see myself doing that for the reasons I state above. Big city living at affordable prices. Your "poor souls" and "world is so much bigger than this place" comments just reek of elitism. To me, a poor soul would be someone living in a place where they're unhappy just to make a buck. Those living in a place they enjoy strike me as being very fortunate.

no it sounds like you're making a situation worse than it has to be by choosing to ride on busy streets and then complain that you were almost run off the road. usually when i'm in a hurry i'll drive myself instead of taking the bus or biking however you choose to take a slower mode of transportation.

Yes, I will complain when I am almost run off the road. It is a traffic violation and if a cop saw him do it he would and should have been cited. Like I said, I ride in Critical Mass partly to raise motorist awareness of cyclists and partly because its fun. I sold my car a long time ago, so yes, I choose to ride a bike because I like to ride a bike and because it has virtually no carbon footprint. Like I said, a decent street for bikes is out of my way, so Westheimer's fine, as long as people are paying attention and driving like they are supposed to.

I lived in Brownsville, TX for a number of years and would never move back. But during my time there I learned to appreciate what made the area special and shut up about the things I didn't like. Because let's be hoenst, it's just my opinion and those things I didn't "get" suit other people just fine. I mean, what made my opinion right and other people wrong? And arguing those points just made me look like a stubborn, uptight asshole.

Ditto, McAllen. I've had consulting work in Cameron County since then, however, and I envy you. It's the poorer side of the RGV, but it has more character, IMO.

I didn't like it, I knew enough to understand and articulate why I didn't like it, and I managed (somehow) to take a couple of high school final exams by e-mail so that I could move to Houston a week sooner for no other reason than that I did not like my environs. I still remember the date: 05/24/2002, and I departed "home" at 10:32 AM. But that's exactly the thing; I didn't like my situation, so I changed it!

In the right neighborhood, Houston is more than just bearable. It's actually quite enjoyable. Maybe Clear Lake just isn't the right place for you...I wouldn't want to live there either. This city is a much bigger place.

*yawn*

I've live all over this city in the past decade+ I've been here. Oak "Lesbian" Forrest (Ella Blvd - I liked to watch the Cadillacs go airborne occasionally down that road), to Montrose (2 locations, including arm's length distance from "Club Rainbow"), to Queer... I mean ... Clear Lake. Spent many years in all of those locations. And, based on the M4M listings on Craigslist... I'd say this city is pretty diverse everywhere. And I mean everywhere. Even Alvin, TX. Lord have mercy.

Yeah Coaster needs to take that anti-bike nonsense somewhere else...maybe to the trails at memorial with your dog...

Q: What do you call 40 dead bicyclist lying and bleeding all over the road with their brains and guts smeared within a quarter mile long skid mark?

A: good start.

Rest in pieces.

It's really telling that one of your interests is to scream at a developers like Weingarten. Now I get it, you stay in Houston because you like to complain. You won't move away because there wouldn't be enough to complain about in other cities and you must enjoy being miserable. Just kidding.

I agree that unless you are some kind of sadist, you have to focus on the positive and make the most out of every situation even if it is not all good. But, obviously nothing in Houston is bad enough or culturally limited to extent that you don't fit right in to the point that it would make you leave or you would have left already. I just think that if people are going to go online and make lists out of everything they the don't like, they should 'fess up and admit that none of those thing are important enough to make them leave.

The people who say they dislike Houston yet choose to stay are living proof that the positives out weigh the negatives. For all the unhappiness they are 'forced' to endure, there are enough things in this city to keep them 'interested' however far and few between - I guess it must be just enough to make life bearable.

The negatives outweighed the positives in L.A. for me so I don't live there anymore. But when I did live there I could see no good reason for going on to the internet everyday and telling all the people who like it what a dump their town was. What would be the point?

This is not putting lipstick on a pig. This is just exposing hypocrisy. BTW- I'm not talking about the people who come here just to argue about things like whether or not light rail should be constructed or what to do with the Astrodome - I'm talking about the ones who show up just to say "Houston sucks".

BTW, Bicycles suck. I hate bicycles. I don't own one and I have no interest in bicycle culture or bicyclist. Can someone please direct me to a bicycling enthusiast website so that I can write a lot of post complaining about bicycle issues. That sounds like a fun and productive thing to do with my leisure time.

I don't see anything wrong with people complaining about Houston. It's the "love it or leave it" attitude that gripes me. Let's face it, a lot of people aren't necessarily mobile enough or have realistic job options to move. Many people have family or partners or other obligations that keep them here. You and I might like Houston just fine, but it's silly to expect that everyone else will, or else shut up about it. I'm the first to admit that Houston is a bit of an acquired tastes.

That said, Houston certainly tops the list as a retirement destination for me. Warm weather, relatively cheap, lots of doctors, and a baseball team to kill time in the afternoons. Hits all the right buttons as far as I'm concerned.

How can anyone hate bicycles? What is there to hate?

I was raised here, and am attending uni here. I like being able to grow nice plants here, with all the rainfall and sunlight we get. All of the above, as well (food, culture, etc).

I'll prolly head somewhere else once I graduate, wherever the jobs are.

Q: What do you call 40 dead bicyclist lying and bleeding all over the road with their brains and guts smeared within a quarter mile long skid mark?

A: good start.

Rest in pieces.

Man, Coaster, please let us know when you are out and about so we can stay clear.:o

Kylejack, the Critical Mass rides are a cool idea, but do they ever do it down a really busy road (like Westheimer) in the middle of the day? I'm not sure how many drivers you are reaching by riding around downtown on a Friday evening. Seems like I heard of Mass rides in other cities that are a little more in the face of drivers. Of course, that can have it's downside as well (like if Coaster is driving around).

No one understands me. :( The whole point of the bicycle stuff was to try to illustrate the point that if I did hate bicyclist why would I go to a bicycling enthusiast website just to gripe. I could have said roller coasters, skateboarding, football or some other pointless idiotic activity. But I thought besmirching bicyclist might make a bigger impact here since there are so many. But don't worry about me. I even ride a bike myself (but not on busy streets).

If you think critical mass is fun in Houston you should try it in San Francisco. They really have the power to unleash hell's fury onto the city. I hate San Francisco too. I visit their website everyday and tell them that. Just Kidding.

I don't see anything wrong with people complaining about Houston. It's the "love it or leave it" attitude that gripes me. Let's face it, a lot of people aren't necessarily mobile enough or have realistic job options to move. Many people have family or partners or other obligations that keep them here. You and I might like Houston just fine, but it's silly to expect that everyone else will, or else shut up about it. I'm the first to admit that Houston is a bit of an acquired tastes.

That said, Houston certainly tops the list as a retirement destination for me. Warm weather, relatively cheap, lots of doctors, and a baseball team to kill time in the afternoons. Hits all the right buttons as far as I'm concerned.

How can anyone hate bicycles? What is there to hate?

I always think the people who can only see the bad and not the good in Houston are only here to try and bring others down. It's annoying - like listening to kids fighting in the back seat. Every once in a while you have to turn around and scream at them (with love) to shut up!

No one understands me. :( The whole point of the bicycle stuff was to try to illustrate the point that if I did hate bicyclist why would I go to a bicycling enthusiast website just to gripe.

This is not a Houston enthusiast website, I don't think. As far as I can tell its a website to discuss all aspects of Houston, good and bad, the things we like and the things we don't. You've only got like 88 posts in 3 years so maybe you're just not familiar but there are plenty of positive and negative threads here, and not everyone who comes here is a Houston enthusiast.

This is not a Houston enthusiast website, I don't think. As far as I can tell its a website to discuss all aspects of Houston, good and bad, the things we like and the things we don't. You've only got like 88 posts in 3 years so maybe you're just not familiar but there are plenty of positive and negative threads here, and not everyone who comes here is a Houston enthusiast.

I usually don't have the time to post, but I come to this website almost everyday and I am very familiar with HAIF.

I know there is no rule that everyone who post here MUST love Houston. Even I don't love everything about Houston. I just think it's weird that someone could be interested enough in Houston to go to a website about all things Houston, who wasn't just a little bit enthusiastic about it.

I think this is mostly a Houston enthusiast website. I mean, most people come here because they are interested in what goes on in Houston. How can people be interested in things they don't like?

Archived