Hurricane humor

They need to stop naming hurricanes with such plain names. Name them something pursuant to the destruction, fear, and devastation they cause.

KHOU: "CAT 5 Hurricane Hitler is bearing down on the Texas-Louisiana coast... and things just don't look good..."

It's Gilchrist. I can see this house from my house, I mean land.

Gilchrist is on the other side of Rollover Pass, which is in the distance (top of photo). If the Gulf is on the right, then this house is in Caplen.

Gilchrist is on the other side of Rollover Pass, which is in the distance (top of photo). If the Gulf is on the right, then this house is in Caplen.

Dude, Rollover is behind you in the photo. The picture is facing toward High Island. What you think is Rollover in the distance is the highway, which is now at the water's edge. The yellow house is east of Rollover. I've seen it with me own eyes. blink.gif

[

I tried to embed a goggle map but I'm retarded with that stuff. I trust your eyes rsb, and since you have been there I have no reason to question you. I'm only going from memory and the body of water at the top left appears to be East Bay as it empties into Rollover. This must be an illusion, or maybe just flood water. And now that I look at it, Highway 87 has a slight curve toward the Gulf as it passes through Caplen, this photo does not show that, so I stand corrected. (just like that house)

I tried to embed a goggle map but I'm retarded with that stuff. I trust your eyes rsb, and since you have been there I have no reason to question you. I'm only going from memory and the body of water at the top left appears to be East Bay as it empties into Rollover. This must be an illusion, or maybe just flood water. And now that I look at it, Highway 87 has a slight curve toward the Gulf as it passes through Caplen, this photo does not show that, so I stand corrected. (just like that house)

I can totally understand your disorientation; I had a really hard time finding my street when we first got down there. If the picture were facing west, the Gulf would be on the left.

This photo must have been taken on the day after the storm. The body of water at the top left is actually a cow pasture. This entire area was littered with overturned vehicles, half buried in sand. No doubt, people were trying to escape and were cut off before High Island. Many had to have perished, but you don't hear about that. I wonder what the final death toll was?

Back to the humor...

I've got nearly an acre of land for sale near the :colon: if anyone's interested. The property has canal access to the ICW. Concrete slab is included as well as one large palm tree and three palm stumps.

They need to stop naming hurricanes with such plain names. Name them something pursuant to the destruction, fear, and devastation they cause.

KHOU: "CAT 5 Hurricane Hitler is bearing down on the Texas-Louisiana coast... and things just don't look good..."

There was a comedian a few years back who came up with something similar. He was black i think and said hurricanes should be named after african-americans. I'm paraphrasing here but it was something along the lines of " Who's going to be afraid of a Hurricane Nigel. You tell them Hurricane Tyrone is coming and they'll start running"

There was a comedian a few years back who came up with something similar. He was black i think and said hurricanes should be named after african-americans. I'm paraphrasing here but it was something along the lines of " Who's going to be afraid of a Hurricane Nigel. You tell them Hurricane Tyrone is coming and they'll start running"

Except it wasn't a comedian, it was Sheila Jackson-Lee.

http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/hurricane.asp

Except it wasn't a comedian, it was Sheila Jackson-Lee.

http://www.snopes.co...e/hurricane.asp

Yeah.. I was getting ready to post this find.... http://www.freerepub...ws/954799/posts

But no.. it was a comedian that i saw on tv.. and I think it was a little prior to 2003. .. it was definately prior to 2006 when that email was circulated.

Who do you think would actually come up with something like that first... a comedian, or SJL ?

I find it pretty funny.

I also find it funny that folks will buy a piece of land 500 feet from the Gulf with an elevation of 5 feet. Spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a house and then when a 25 foot wall of water hits them complain that the government should have done something about it.

I find it pretty funny.

I also find it funny that folks will buy a piece of land 500 feet from the Gulf with an elevation of 5 feet. Spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a house and then when a 25 foot wall of water hits them complain that the government should have done something about it.

I've not seen any evidence of this happening on Bolivar. Most people who lived or had places down their fully realized the risk. Also, part-time residences do not qualify for FEMA assistance. Keep in mind that a lot places were built years and years ago. I can't remember if the house, built in the 1800's, with an historical marker, made it.

I'm sure it will all be rebuilt eventually, applying the new building codes. Of course, you'll need a lift to get you up to your house.

Yeah.. I was getting ready to post this find.... http://www.freerepub...ws/954799/posts

But no.. it was a comedian that i saw on tv.. and I think it was a little prior to 2003. .. it was definately prior to 2006 when that email was circulated.

Who do you think would actually come up with something like that first... a comedian, or SJL ?

Me and my buddies. And a few thousand other people. Once the "African American" crusades began over a decade ago.... it was common "hurricane humor" topic..... at what point would they want equality in hurricane names, etc..........

I never understood how all the "African American" names were derived in the first place. Honestly, what makes Tyrone, Shaniqua, Leticia, LaToya, etc............ "african american"??? Never understood that because there was never a native African with any of those names. Seriously. Those aren't remotely "african american" names..... or "african american sounding" names.....

Me and my buddies. And a few thousand other people. Once the "African American" crusades began over a decade ago.... it was common "hurricane humor" topic..... at what point would they want equality in hurricane names, etc..........

I never understood how all the "African American" names were derived in the first place. Honestly, what makes Tyrone, Shaniqua, Leticia, LaToya, etc............ "african american"??? Never understood that because there was never a native African with any of those names. Seriously. Those aren't remotely "african american" names..... or "african american sounding" names.....

Which backs up my point.. Hurricanes with black names was fodder for comedy, both on tv and in dorm rooms, long before SJL got hold of it and long long before the Snopes email.

Those names are African-American because those are names given to children by african-americans only, and by african-american I'm forcing myself to be PC, what I would prefer to say, which would clear up your confusion, is they are names only given to their children by black people.

Nobody said they were African names. Since when does anything in current "african-american" culture, and again, i mean black, actually have much to do with current African culture.

Which backs up my point.. Hurricanes with black names was fodder for comedy, both on tv and in dorm rooms, long before SJL got hold of it and long long before the Snopes email.

Those names are African-American because those are names given to children by african-americans only, and by african-american I'm forcing myself to be PC, what I would prefer to say, which would clear up your confusion, is they are names only given to their children by black people.

Nobody said they were African names. Since when does anything in current "african-american" culture, and again, i mean black, actually have much to do with current African culture.

Alright folks no need to panic. This bus just slid off into the ditch. No one is hurt. Just remain calm and we will have this thread back between the ditches in no time.

Alright folks no need to panic. This bus just slid off into the ditch. No one is hurt. Just remain calm and we will have this thread back between the ditches in no time.

Hey.. I'm not the one that is trying to be literal with political-correctness.

I've seen this line in another post today. Hopefully, we won't crash the bus.

Bingo on your last sentence... just seems like it flies in the face of the whole 'heritage' argument..... guess the "african american" community has a monopoly on first names with 2 capital letters and a Q.

And to reiterate.. you are right on.... "African American"... in current American society... has absolutely nothing to do with... and has nothing tied to.... African culture or history. Perfect example is fros.... they would come back... and the fake hair thing would go out.

Archived