Kemah Among The Top 10 Boardwalks In U.S

editor

Very unlikely. The damage to the company and publication's reputation would be too great to risk something like that.

Ha! That IS Forbes' reputation. They ARE the list magazine. If they weren't concerned about the damage that these silly and poorly researched lists does to their reputation, then why would they be above taking bribes to place someone's boardwalk on a list? However, I don't believe it is product placement, either. When reading these silly lists, it is of the utmost importance to consider who the target market is...the uppity yuppie market that reads Forbes in the first place. How else can Forbes rate the "Best Places To Live"? Best places for WHO? Well, the best places for white, upper middle class, suburban couples with children who read Forbes, of course! (Or, those who aspire to be same.)

If you keep that in mind when reading Forbes' lists, the lists will make much more sense. And, if you look around you at the people populating Kemah Boardwalk, you will find that Forbes actually correctly placed Kemah on its list...for its target demographic.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Throughout my life I've usually discovered that native Houstonians (born, raised and live)... have a much more negative attitude towards Houston than the transplants.

Wonder why that is.... my guess.... the natives have seen the decades of changes.... and consider them more negative than positive.

Bah Humbug - Houston Sucks

Houston is fine if you are stuck in Waller with nothing to do. But once a comparison is made to anywhere else, Houston falls far short in just about any category. So why make the comparison in the first place. Just enjoy what Houston has to offer. I am sure there are many, hell perhaps millions out there who truly think Houston is the best place in the world. I just don't agree.

It is such a shame that, in the land of the free, you are forced to live where you are not happy. Having moved back to Houston because I WANTED to be here, I simply cannot imagine how miserable it must be to be shackled to a job or a spouse or something else that forces one to live where one doesn't wish to be. Maybe some day when the economy picks back up, you can actually move to where you can be happy. Having done exactly that, I can tell you that it is a much better way to go through life.

Good luck! :)

Bah Humbug - Houston Sucks

Houston is fine if you are stuck in Waller with nothing to do. But once a comparison is made to anywhere else, Houston falls far short in just about any category. So why make the comparison in the first place. Just enjoy what Houston has to offer. I am sure there are many, hell perhaps millions out there who truly think Houston is the best place in the world. I just don't agree.

Which categories does Houston fall short in? Claiming that Houston sucks is about as enlightening as a Forbes top ten boardwalks ratings. Or are you mistaking Houston for Kemah?

Which categories does Houston fall short in? Claiming that Houston sucks is about as enlightening as a Forbes top ten boardwalks ratings. Or are you mistaking Houston for Kemah?

Ok - Pick any education category you like or how about property tax rates or climate or outdoor recreation oportunities or historical preservation or, hell why go on.

What's really incredible is how much time and effort some people are spending at this forum simply because Kemah got recognized for being a top 10 boardwalk. Surely there are issues to angry about in this world, but a boardwalk? I could see why someone might have something to gain by promoting a boardwalk, but I just don't understand (nor would I want to) why anyone would feel a need to spend 2 or 3 days of there life sitting at their desk complaining about a little boardwalk on Galveston Bay just because they feel it doesn't belong on a list. Is life really that empty?

Houston does not fall short on just about any category. What a broad, completely irresponsible, unprovable, opinionated statement. If that were true then Houston wouldn't such a magnet. How many people moved here last year? Houston certainly didn't fall short on that list. Neither did if fall short on a recent Forbes list of 'best skylines in America'. What's with all the Houston bashing anyway. There must be armed guards at the city limits not letting people out, I guess.

Skylines? Wow that's a great attribute.

Your right is IS a great attribute. And there are a lot of others

I guess it's all about what is important to you and what you want to spend your time focusing on. At a architecture web site (like this one) skylines are considered a attribute. We also have great museums, theaters, stadiums, food, people (most of them anyway), and don't forget about our top 10 boardwalk!

But if it really makes you feel good focusing on Houston's shortcomings and ignoring the good things then you are in for a very sad, miserable life if you stay here.

Throughout my life I've usually discovered that native Houstonians (born, raised and live)... have a much more negative attitude towards Houston than the transplants.

Wonder why that is.... my guess.... the natives have seen the decades of changes.... and consider them more negative than positive.

I've been here for three decades and I'm very pro-Houston. Then again, I live and work in the inner-city. I don't have traffic jams or long commute times, etc. I think that it's more the suburbanites that have negative views because of their detached living conditions.

At any rate, I think the Boardwalk is a great asset for the area. Of course, I remember when it was a sleepy, quaint and salty little village. The whorehouses had already closed (Pink Pussycat?) when I went for the first time, but there were good restaurants.

Think of the benefit that the sales tax revenue for 3mil brings Kemah.

Skylines? Wow that's a great attribute.

Just dumping a dose of reality on the cheerleaders.

Why would you want to dump on cheerleaders? Maybe you can't accept it, but some people REALLY do like living in Houston. And CHOOSE to stay here because they like it. No need to dump on me because that is my honest opinion.

I've been here for three decades and I'm very pro-Houston. Then again, I live and work in the inner-city. I don't have traffic jams or long commute times, etc. I think that it's more the suburbanites that have negative views because of their detached living conditions.

At any rate, I think the Boardwalk is a great asset for the area. Of course, I remember when it was a sleepy, quaint and salty little village. The whorehouses had already closed (Pink Pussycat?) when I went for the first time, but there were good restaurants.

Yea. Kudos for the tax revenue. Revenue is one thing... use of that revenue is another.

Perhaps Houston can vote for a City Lottery to help raise money to fix our worthless school system. The Texas Lottery was supposed to be, primarily, for SCHOOLS. Gee... wonder where that money is really going. Only a matter of time before all the 5A schools in the inner city when I was a child end up being 3A.

I'm born and raised. I give Houston a 2 out of 5 stars. I'd give it a 4 if they'd build a wall around the city and quit letting illegals in. I'd give it a 5 if they could do the former, AND figure out a way to send back every thug that came here from New Orleans after Katrina. And let's be honest... more thugs came and stayed than non-thugs.

So now we go from bashing boardwalks to bashing illegals and hurricane victims. I wonder if this line of conversation is what Editor (our beloved webmaster) had in mind when he originally posted the link to the Forbes website?

No one is "bashing" anything or anyone. This thread has already turned into a discussion about the city of Houston. Those who are obsessed with the love of Houston are asking what others dislike about it. Saying I don't like the massive inflow of illegal aliens isn't bashing anyone. Saying I don't like all the thugs that came here from New Orleans isn't bashing anyone either. I'm describing some reasons why I've come to dislike Houston a little more than I did 20 years ago. So don't start turning the thread into a political correctness thread now....

Oh.. and... I don't remember anyone "bashing" the Kemah boardwalk. Funny how a differing opinion as to the ranking of something in a magazine becomes "bashing".

While I personally am not a fan of the Kemah Boardwalk, I'm glad so many other people enjoy it.

And to be perfectly honest, the more shrill, helmet-haired housewives and their ill mannered children who go to the Boardwalk on the weekends, the better. Fewer knee-biters in Target and Costco to get in my way.

I thought we were talking about the Kemah boardwalk being an attribute to Houston. I think the Kemah boardwalk should be enjoyed by everyone no matter who they are.

'Quit letting them in' and insinuating that Katrina victims are 'thugs' sounds pretty close to bashing to me.

I thought we were talking about the Kemah boardwalk being an attribute to Houston. I think the Kemah boardwalk should be enjoyed by everyone no matter who they are.

'Quit letting them in' and insinuating that Katrina victims are 'thugs' sounds pretty close to bashing to me.

Actually "quit letting them in" is a first cousin to "applying the law". I'm guessing you are in favor of law breaking?

And I wasn't "insinuating" that Katrina victims are "thugs". It's a fact that a large percentage of the ones who came here and STAYED HERE are. Facts are facts. I'm guessing you are in favor of law-breaking thugs from New Orleans staying in town and visiting the Kemah Boardwalk whenever possible?

Actually "quit letting them in" is a first cousin to "applying the law". I'm guessing you are in favor of law breaking?

And I wasn't "insinuating" that Katrina victims are "thugs". It's a fact that a large percentage of them are. Facts are facts.

No. But I'm not in favor of keeping people out of the Kemah boardwalk. If there is an illegal riding next to me on the Bullet it won't destroy my day. Isn't that what we are supposed to be talking about. Do you have trouble staying focused? Perhaps you should start a new thread. I'm sure you'll find some narrow minded people who will support your views.

This is about the Kemah boardwalk. Let's keep this thread on topic.

No. But I'm not in favor of keeping people out of the Kemah boardwalk. If there is an illegal riding next to me on the Bullet it won't destroy my day. Isn't that what we are supposed to be talking about. Do you have trouble staying focused? Perhaps you should start a new thread. I'm sure you'll find some narrow minded people who will support your views.

This is about the Kemah boardwalk. Let's keep this thread on topic.

Sorry, but I didn't take any thread off topic... seems those who can't stand the opinions of those who don't think the Kemah Baordwalk should be on the Forbes list turned the thread into a pro- or anti-Houston thread...

Also seems to me that the Kemah Boardwalk doesn't deserve a thread of this length. It's like debating which is more beautiful, the Superdome or the Astrodome.

Sorry, but I didn't take any thread off topic... seems those who can't stand the opinions of those who don't think the Kemah Baordwalk should be on the Forbes list turned the thread into a pro- or anti-Houston thread...

Also seems to me that the Kemah Boardwalk doesn't deserve a thread of this length. It's like debating which is more beautiful, the Superdome or the Astrodome.

Why do you want to turn this thread into some kind of hate fest? Can't we discuss what Kemah should do to be a better place or something. I don't think bashing hurricane victims is appropriate conversation on this thread or on HAIF. It also seems that you are the one who it most responsible for making this thread this long and helping to take it way off course. Why are you doing this? Just start an new hate bashing thread. I'm sure the KKK has a forum.

Why do you want to turn this thread into some kind of hate fest? Can't we discuss what Kemah should do to be a better place or something. I don't think bashing hurricane victims is appropriate conversation on this thread or on HAIF. It also seems that you are the one who it most responsible for making this thread this long and helping to take it way off course. Why are you doing this? Just start an new hate bashing thread. I'm sure the KKK has a forum.

I guess some folk just don't like a discussion. Sorry to sully the silly Boardwalk thread,

I guess some folk just don't like a discussion. Sorry to sully the silly Boardwalk thread,

I like discussions. But you can cram the pointless Houston bashing. Or at least take it to another topic. And I KNOW you are sorry. You sound like a very sorry, sad little person.

Seems to me that the people who think the Kemah Boardwalk belongs on the Forbes Top 10 list hate those who don't think so.

Seems to me that people who don't think the Kemah Boardwalk belongs on the Forbes Top 10 are indifferent to those who think it should be.

Now who is the 'hater'?

I like discussions. But you can cram the pointless Houston bashing. Or at least take it to another topic. And I KNOW you are sorry, sad and unhappy. Maybe you should ride the Bullet and forget your problems for a while. Have some cotten candy at the boardwalk, it might cheer you up.

I am now convinced that Spiderroller is Texas Vines. He left for a while, had an epiphany about punctuation, changed his screen name and is back in the saddle. More sensitive HAIFers will disagree, but I enjoyed TV.

Sorry. Never been anyone else. If I ever had to leave this site because people were too serious (anal), too anti-opinions-of-anyone-else (anal), lacked sense of humor (anal), etc....... I wouldn't want to be reincarnated.

There used to be an enormous amount of threads on HAIF that I enjoyed... especially the historical Houston discussions.... seems everything has been discussed I guess. I wouldn't even be posting if it wasn't so slow at work. I guess the biggest thing going on in Houston right now is the discussion of the 9th wonder of the world - the Kemah Boardwalk.

Anyone know how to "ignore" a thread, vs. just ignoring a member?

I like discussions. But you can cram the pointless Houston bashing. Or at least take it to another topic. And I KNOW you are sorry. You sound like a very sorry, sad little person.

See, this is what happens to people when they don't have access to free weed. Mellow out dude.

Archived