Kemah Among The Top 10 Boardwalks In U.S

editor

http://www.forbestraveler.com/islands-beaches/best-boardwalks-slide-9.html?thisSpeed=25000

Kemah Boardwalk, built in 1988, is the youngest of the group. Deriving its name from the Karankawa Indian word for “wind in the face,” the half-mile-long boardwalk has provided breezes and gusts for an estimated 3 million annual visitors.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great.

But it's not a Top Ten Boardwalk in the U.S., Peeing Tom.

It IS according to Forbes. What are your credentials for judging boardwalks or any thing else for that matter? And why should anyone choose to listen to you over a respected publication like Forbes. Lighten up a bit and get a life, loser.

Back on topic...

I also think the Kemah Boardwalk is great. It's a wonderful place to go for families to enjoy pure fun together and watch the sailboats go by. I don't think anyone in Houston believes the Kemah Boardwalk is better than Atlantic City or Santa Monica, but for Texas and the Gulf Coast it's a great thing. I haven't spoken to any Houstonians or out of town guests who didn't enjoy themselves at Kemah. It may be contrived and have too many Landry's restaurants, but it's a very pretty setting and would be sorely missed if it was not there.

Now, the new $6 parking does tick me off.

Back on topic...

I also think the Kemah Boardwalk is great. It's a wonderful place to go for families to enjoy pure fun together and watch the sailboats go by. I don't think anyone in Houston believes the Kemah Boardwalk is better than Atlantic City or Santa Monica, but for Texas and the Gulf Coast it's a great thing. I haven't spoken to any Houstonians or out of town guests who didn't enjoy themselves at Kemah. It may be contrived and have too many Landry's restaurants, but it's a very pretty setting and would be sorely missed if it was not there.

Now, the new $6 parking does tick me off.

I used to go to Kemah to watch the sailboats (on Sunday afternoons) back in the 60's-70's with my great gran, gran, etc. We would eat at Jimmie Walker's, it's Landry's now. I thought it was such a fancy place. I think there are some pics of the bldg. in the Landry's entranceway. At least the bldg. is still there. I liked it back then, not now, too comercialized. Same as that Aquarium place, downtown.

True. It's only a "boardwalk" in name only. Kind of ridiculous. Must have been a payout by someone to get on that list......

Really? There "must have?" There's no other explanation in the world? Do you have some inside knowledge you'd like to share?

I think they were stretching to find a boardwalk in the south to include in the list. I would put the Seawall up there before Kemah, which feels too contrived and corporate to me and has no beachfront.

I don't know that Forbes was stretching. There are several other "boardwalk" lists that Forbes has put together, and this is the only one that includes anything outside of New England/Mid-Atlantic and California. Historically, it doesn't appear that Forbes is going out of its way to be regionally inclusive, or it would have picked some sites in Florida or the Great Lakes, too.

I don't know that Forbes was stretching. There are several other "boardwalk" lists that Forbes has put together, and this is the only one that includes anything outside of New England/Mid-Atlantic and California. Historically, it doesn't appear that Forbes is going out of its way to be regionally inclusive, or it would have picked some sites in Florida or the Great Lakes, too.

The big difference is the other boardwalks on the list are not restaurant conglomerate theme parks designed solely to strip visitors from their money.

Instead (with the possible exception of Long Beach, Wash), they are located on or next to a beach, have plenty of room for people to bicycle and walk, and have lots of small independent businesses that sell inexpensive beach fare, instead of pricey sit-down restaurants.

I would nominate the Galveston seawall for the list, but it's probably too gritty for the typical Forbes reader.

The big difference is the other boardwalks on the list are not restaurant conglomerate theme parks designed solely to strip visitors from their money.

Instead (with the possible exception of Long Beach, Wash), they are located on or next to a beach, have plenty of room for people to bicycle and walk, and have lots of small independent businesses that sell inexpensive beach fare, instead of pricey sit-down restaurants.

I would nominate the Galveston seawall for the list, but it's probably too gritty for the typical Forbes reader.

Ditto. Good points and explanations... whether you love the Kemah Boardwalk or not... those that find it humorous, sad or shocking of it being on "this list".... is because it just doesn't belong in the same category as the others. It's a monopolized pricey corporate restaurant hub with rides for kids. That's it.

And yes... the Galveston Seawall more than fits the bill to be included on the list... but let's face it... "gritty" might be an understatement.... nevermind chocolate brown water depending on the direction of the wind.

These lists are typically based on a collection of random statistics, not experience. I would bet that spiderroller probably has more experience with Kemah than some writer sitting in Forbes 5th Avenue office in New York. Even the photo they use is copyrighted by Landry's Restaurants. It may very well be a case of product placement.

Regardless of all that, I believe we're both just trying to express our surprise at it's inclusion in the list for the reasons posted above. Maybe you could explain why you feel it deserves to be on the list, instead of putting down those who disagree with you.

We're going to the Kemah Boardwalk this weekend. Have a coupon on the back of our Texans vs. Saints tickets for a free all day ride pass if you buy one. Two for one. But I will have to check to make sure it's not some group "weekend" down there coming up... kinda like nowadays when you have to check before you go to Disney World to make sure it's not some special "weekend". Ugh. Hopefully Fiesta Texas in San Antonio will never show up some subterranean group's "weekend" list. And anyone who was born, raised and lived in Houston all their life..... has a God given right to an opinion about Houston, good, bad or indifferent.

And anyone who was born, raised and lived in Houston all their life..... has a God given right about to opinion about Houston, good, bad or indifferent.

Not if they don't know what the hell they are talking about. And if they decide to post something they better be prepared to deal with the consequences of having their misguided opinions challenged.

Perhaps it's simply extremely high blood pressure.... hopefully that's all it is....but.... think it's safe to say.... someone needs some medical help. In all seriousness. Many people go postal for many reasons... but over a Top 10 list of amusement places published in a financial magazine?

True. It's only a "boardwalk" in name only. Kind of ridiculous. Must have been a payout by someone to get on that list......

Yah, this is BS. Kemah does not compare to the boardwalks in Rehobeth, Wildwood, Ocean City, Bethany. Hell there is not even a beach at Kemah. Plus, the whole place and everything in it is owned by one company. I go out of my way to never give them a dime.

These lists are typically based on a collection of random statistics, not experience. I would bet that spiderroller probably has more experience with Kemah than some writer sitting in Forbes 5th Avenue office in New York.

Forbes has reporters in Houston and most major cities.

Even the photo they use is copyrighted by Landry's Restaurants.

All that means is that Forbes didn't have a picture of Kemah Boardwalk (not surprising) and asked Landry's PR firm for one. Standard procedure, which is why the copyright notice is included. It's called "disclosure." The few photographers a company like Forbes has probably aren't wasted on features like this.

It may very well be a case of product placement.

Very unlikely. The damage to the company and publication's reputation would be too great to risk something like that.

How can you rate a boardwalk... without actually visiting it?

And having a Forbes reporter in Houston.. well.. that's makes it all the more suspect.

Mr. Fertitta has done plenty to damage his Company's reputation in the past... it never bothered him. Only the mighty buck matters.

We're going to the Kemah Boardwalk this weekend. Have a coupon on the back of our Texans vs. Saints tickets for a free all day ride pass if you buy one. Two for one. But I will have to check to make sure it's not some group "weekend" down there coming up... kinda like nowadays when you have to check before you go to Disney World to make sure it's not some special "weekend". Ugh. Hopefully Fiesta Texas in San Antonio will never show up some subterranean group's "weekend" list. And anyone who was born, raised and lived in Houston all their life..... has a God given right to an opinion about Houston, good, bad or indifferent.

If you're going to go this time of year, I suggest going in the evening. It is HOT on the boardwalk mid-day during the summer.

I think you are jumping to some wild conclusions. Forbes sends reporters to Houston all the time. Why would you think differently?

I don't care how much money matters to Tillman. The boardwalk is an asset to Houston. And if it wasn't for Tillman, there would be NO roller coasters or anything close to an amusement park in Houston. Why should Kemah not make a list of best boardwalks in the country just because the owner wants to make a profit.

There are other forces at work here besides just a simple Forbes list. Some people have spent a LOT of energy berating the Boardwalk. What could possibly be the point of this?

Yea... I am not looking forward to that... figure if I get too hot I'll stroll down the beach and go in the water.

.... oh... forgot... THIS boardwalk doesn't have a beach....

And I'm not sure you would want to swim in that water anyway. Better to stroll down the boardwalk and find a watering hole instead.:D

Forbes has reporters in Houston and most major cities.

All that means is that Forbes didn't have a picture of Kemah Boardwalk (not surprising) and asked Landry's PR firm for one. Standard procedure, which is why the copyright notice is included. It's called "disclosure." The few photographers a company like Forbes has probably aren't wasted on features like this.

Point taken. Nonetheless, I doubt that Forbes would send their financial reporters to visit a bunch of boardwalks. Most of the article references Dr. Stephen Leatherman (“Dr. Beach”). The boardwalk descriptions are generalizations that could have been gleaned off a brochure or travel guide. Isn't that how most of these "top 10" style articles are created? Why go through the expense of flying journalists to a bunch of different boardwalks if you don't have to.

That said, I don't see anything necessarily wrong with these lists so long as they don't take away from real journalism. They add something fun to a publication. But I don't feel that there's anything exacting or scientific about most of them.

Yea... I am not looking forward to that... figure if I get too hot I'll stroll down the beach and go in the water.

.... oh... forgot... THIS boardwalk doesn't have a beach....

There is a set of fountains if you don't mind cooling off with a crowd of children.

I don't get it. Why would someone go to the Boardwalk if they don't like it? You guys need to get a life. Good or bad, the Kemah Boardwalk is what it is. 3 millions visitors a year is nothing to sneeze at. Some people must like it.

Yep - Those who don't know any better. The same folks who think that Galveston is a great beach. They don't have anything to compare it to.

Yep - Those who don't know any better. The same folks who think that Galveston is a great beach. They don't have anything to compare it to.

I've ridden roller coasters all over the country - and I think the Boardwalk Bullet is a great coaster. Kemah Boardwalk is just fine for the market they are going after. And it's a lot cleaner than some of the other boardwalks on that list. Galveston may not be as great as some of the other beaches in the world, but that doesn't mean people can't have fun there if they want to. I went to Galveston last weekend and the water was actually blue. It was amazing. Still not the world's greatest beach, but we all had a great time.

I don't get it. Why would someone go to the Boardwalk if they don't like it? You guys need to get a life. Good or bad, the Kemah Boardwalk is what it is. 3 millions visitors a year is nothing to sneeze at. Some people must like it.

I agree. I'd venture to say that those 3 million are more representative of Houston then the few hundred that post on this board. It seems like most around here are more than happy to bash Houston by comparing it to other cities. God forbid if you've never been to these other cities, then we don't even want to hear from you because your opinion is invalid. Anyhow, what's wrong with appreciating what we have and being recognized for it? You'll always find something better somewhere else, but Houston is a pretty great city with lots to offer. My opinion is that the Kemah Boardwalk is a huge positive for the Houston metro area, not a negative. The visitors I take there always want to go back.

I agree. I'd venture to say that those 3 million are more representative of Houston then the few hundred that post on this board. It seems like most around here are more than happy to bash Houston by comparing it to other cities. God forbid if you've never been to these other cities, then we don't even want to hear from you because your opinion is invalid. Anyhow, what's wrong with appreciating what we have and being recognized for it? You'll always find something better somewhere else, but Houston is a pretty great city with lots to offer. My opinion is that the Kemah Boardwalk is a huge positive for the Houston metro area, not a negative. The visitors I take there always want to go back.

The problem comes about not with Kemah, as an example, but with the comparison itself. Sort of like making a comparison between the Houston Arboretum and Muir Redwood Grove in CA. Yes, the Arboretum is a nice place to visit and enjoy but to compare it to Muir Grove is a disservice. That is the problem that I have with ALL of these "Best OF" comparisons whether it is the 10 Best Cities To Live in or 10 Best Universities. They don't provide any helpful information and only benefit those who are selling the magazine or service.

The problem comes about not with Kemah, as an example, but with the comparison itself. Sort of like making a comparison between the Houston Arboretum and Muir Redwood Grove in CA. Yes, the Arboretum is a nice place to visit and enjoy but to compare it to Muir Grove is a disservice. That is the problem that I have with ALL of these "Best OF" comparisons whether it is the 10 Best Cities To Live in or 10 Best Universities. They don't provide any helpful information and only benefit those who are selling the magazine or service.

The real problem is that there is NO real problem. Maybe Kemah was put on the list because it is visited by comparable number of people as the other boardwalks on that list. Or maybe it makes a profit that is comparable to the other boardwalks on that list. Maybe somebody at Forbes just visited there and had a good time and liked it. Maybe TF paid someone to put it on the list - who cares. At any rate, I would rather spend time at Kemah than Coney Island any day.

I can't believe the lengths to which people will go just to find something wrong. Rating Boardwalks isn't exactly a science. There is some actual enjoyment taking place down there. No need to blow a gasket over it. Kemah is an asset to Houston. Just accept it and learn to take the occasional compliment from a national publication on behalf of our great city.

The real problem is that there is NO real problem. Maybe Kemah was put on the list because it is visited by comparable number of people as the other boardwalks on that list. Or maybe it makes a profit that is comparable to the other boardwalks on that list. Maybe somebody at Forbes just visited there and had a good time and liked it. Maybe TF paid someone to put it on the list - who cares. At any rate, I would rather spend time at Kemah than Coney Island any day.

I can't believe the lengths to which people will go just to find something wrong. Rating Boardwalks isn't exactly a science. There is some actual enjoyment taking place down there. No need to blow a gasket over it. Kemah is an asset to Houston. Just accept it and learn to take the occasional compliment from a national publication on behalf of our great city.

Bah Humbug - Houston Sucks

Houston is fine if you are stuck in Waller with nothing to do. But once a comparison is made to anywhere else, Houston falls far short in just about any category. So why make the comparison in the first place. Just enjoy what Houston has to offer. I am sure there are many, hell perhaps millions out there who truly think Houston is the best place in the world. I just don't agree.

Archived