Cutting pollution at IAH

editor

Houston's Major Airport Lands Multi-Million Dollar Grants to Reduce Emissions

Houston, TX - (August 25, 2009) - Mayor Bill White and the Houston Airport System (HAS) have announced that the City of Houston Department of Aviation has received $8.8 million in grants from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to install new state-of-the-art equipment at George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH) that is expected to reduce emissions by up to 60 percent.

The two grants awarded through the FAA's Airport Improvement Program (AIP) will allow the purchase and installation of new solar panels, heaters and chillers in the airport's central operating plant which controls the air conditioning and heating in all five airport terminals. These upgrades will replace the outdated gas-powered steam generation system currently used in the facility.

"This meets two of our major goals as we continue to improve our airport system - operating more efficiently, and with significantly reduced emissions," said Mayor White. "These benefits don't stop at the end of the runways."

One of the grants is a $5 million contribution from the FAA's Voluntary Airport Low Emission (VALE) program, a nationally competitive initiative designed to reduce airport ground emissions at commercial service airports located in regions of the country with higher than normal pollution levels, according to the United States Environmental Protection Agency. The project allows airports to use grants to finance low-emission vehicles, refueling and recharging stations, gate electrification and other airport air quality improvements. Currently the entire Sedan/SUV fleet at HAS is composed of hybrids and more than half of them were purchased with VALE grants.

"We have presented some very unique ideas to the FAA and we've already worked closely and successfully with them on eight other green projects," says Eric Potts interim director of aviation for the city of Houston. Potts also added that, "this project will allow IAH to significantly shrink its environmental footprint and that is good news for all of us."

To date, only nine airport operators in the U.S. have received VALE grants and the most recent grant to IAH is among the largest ever issued. In order to expedite the project the system will be designed and built to order, beginning in 2010 and is scheduled for completion in 2011.

Thanks, ed.

This is slightly off-topic, but I've been wondering when the world was going to wake up to the carbon emissions and fossil fuel use of the aviation industry. They don't have a good "electric" or "hybrid" or "fuel cell" alternative, either.

They have plenty of land with empty fields since they cleared the trees around the runways. A bunch of solar cells could potentially replace the grass.

No need to mow the grass anymore either.

Win-win!

COULD be Win-win!

I just hope they use some common sense when it comes to installing the panels or else they will wind up with some nasty glare going to pilots that are trying to land.

Otherwise, I think this makes a great deal of sense to use Solar and other fuel alternatives on such vast tracks of land between the ramps, runways, and Taxiways.

Just hope no plane crashes into them. :) (knock on wood)

They have plenty of land with empty fields since they cleared the trees around the runways. A bunch of solar cells could potentially replace the grass.

No need to mow the grass anymore either.

Win-win!

The Denver airport has a large tract of solar panels located on empty fields.

For Houston, I think it could serve another purpose by acting as outdoor advertising, considering the city's status as a major energy capital.

Thanks, ed.

This is slightly off-topic, but I've been wondering when the world was going to wake up to the carbon emissions and fossil fuel use of the aviation industry. They don't have a good "electric" or "hybrid" or "fuel cell" alternative, either.

Boeing claims a 20 percent improvement in fuel economy for their new 787 Dreamliner, and others will certainly follow with more efficient designs. In the case of the 787, the improvements are mostly by using lighter materials like carbon fiber, and not through any revolutionary new engine designs. Of course, it will take years and years before fleets are replaced with these more efficient designs, and even then a 20 percent improvement is just a start.

Also, don't forget the ocean shipping industry. A single large ocean vessel releases more sulfur dioxide than all the world's cars and trucks while using the dirtiest (cheapest) bunker fuel. I find that ironic, considering how the shipping industry originally started on clean, renewable energy.

Thanks, ed.

Continental Airlines uses biofuel on test flight

Not perfect, but gotta start somewhere...

Archived