Community Artists’ Collective At 4101 San Jacinto St.

suzerain

Here is another link from a realtor with information about the project and the costs for the different units. It looks like a good building that will add some character to that area. Something besides the cookie-cutter Perry Homes! Maybe in 2006 these places could be in my price range!

http://www.margiekaplanhomes.com/content/a....html?id=165192

• 2 months later...
I'm not sure that i'd consider 'bland and unassuming' to be preferrble.  I'd prefer some creative development with character...and that's what they are doing.  What exactly do you dislike?

The problem I have with it is that the design is a clumsy mishmash of architectural cliches. It is awkward and ungainly, not to mention pretentious. This is dramatically clear when one compares this new building to the few of the orginial buildings still standing in the immediate area. They exhibit good massing and detailing and make appropriate use of materials.

• 4 months later...
I noticed that on the site of where the Collective is building their mixed-use bldg, that there is a big sign that says "Notice for Variance Request" or comparable. I've noticed that these signs go up before any project takes root - can someone explain exactly what this means?

all i know is that in my neighborhood (montrose), if that sign goes up, a month later a little old house with character and a yard is replaced by a quickly & poorly made townhome with no room to spare and nowhere to park.

all i know is that in my neighborhood (montrose), if that sign goes up, a month later a little old house with character and a yard is replaced by a quickly & poorly made townhome with no room to spare and nowhere to park.

I think that just about sums it up <_<

My understanding is that certain property have certain restrictions, i.e. building height, set-back lines, type of use etc. These signs are notices to the public, that the owner want's to deviate from these requirements. The public then is given the chance to voice their approval or disapproval. . . at city hall? (on the date posted on the sign).

My understanding is that certain property have certain restrictions, i.e. building height, set-back lines, type of use etc. These signs are notices to the public, that the owner want's to deviate from these requirements. The public then is given the chance to voice their approval or disapproval. . . at city hall? (on the date posted on the sign).

in order to disapprove, must there be a legal reason other than "i would like to preserve the remaining structure" (that is not historically protected) or "i would like to preserve the current character of the neighborhood?" siting some nearby streets here where great little one-family houses are overshadowed by poorly made structures that are dated and empty. i am not 100% against townhomes, just the poorly made, designed & executed ones.

i am against the ones that replace existing homes to the point where totally overpopulate the street. i am sure this is covered somewhere. any links would be appreciated.

The odd thing is that "variance" is a term found in zoning ordinances mostly, but can also be in subdivision ordinances.

It seems to me that these notices are the closest thing that Houston has to a rezoning petition. I've also seem a sign on Wescott near Memorial.

From Modern Real Estate Practices in Texas:

Ch. 23 Control of Land Use:

A variance may be sought by a property owner when strict enforcement of a zoning ordinance would cause an undue hardship to the property owner because of special circumstances and through no fault of the owner. For example, if an owner's lot is level next to the road but slopes steeply 30 feet away from the road, the ZBA (Zoning Board of Adjustment) may be willing to allow a variance so the owner can build closer to the road than normally would be allowed. However, the board might refuse to allow a change if there were another possible building site on the same parcel and the only hardship that would result from using the alternate site was a longer driveway that would cost more money. Variances are not used to help owners cut development costs.

Chances are the variance is to do with changing to mixed-use complex. Set backs may very well be the other issue. Most urban structures are closer to the street, yet city planning rules prevent this unless the current structure is already close to the street. Most if not all mix-use and dense condo development in midtown will require some variances.

A variance is not always a bad thing. You can also voice your opinion at the Planning commision meetings on Thursday.

• 1 month later...
in order to disapprove, must there be a legal reason other than "i would like to preserve the remaining structure" (that is not historically protected) or "i would like to preserve the current character of the neighborhood?"  siting some nearby streets here where great little one-family houses are overshadowed by poorly made structures that are dated and empty.  i am not 100% against townhomes, just the poorly made, designed & executed ones. 

i am against the ones that replace existing homes to the point where totally overpopulate the street.  i am sure this is covered somewhere.  any links would be appreciated.

I just want to clarify that the towmhomes generally aren't the properties that overpopulate the street. In my neighborhood its the poorly designed duplex and quadplex that have no parking that generally clog up the street. Yes the townhomes usually tke away a place for these duplex's and quad's but the townhomes generally have a 2 car garage and 2 spaces in front of the garage much more parking than a place with zero driveway and no garage.

^^

That's a little cynical. Besides, an involved home owner would intervene to protect themselves.

Variance requests are often used to split a property up into smaller properties and to make a case for an exception to the rule. It could be something as simple as building set back line. In many cases, practially all the new more urban buildings that many people on this forum want will need variance requests to be approved. Only some areas of town allow buildings close to the street. This is either because the existing buildings are that close or the area has set up a tradition to allow building close to the street. It's common to the Midtown area.

A lot of people look at variances as breaking the rules. Many of times a variance is because the rules don't fit the situation or they may be unreasonable. The good thing is that all variance requests allow community input to support or oppose the request. Many of time the Planning Commision is open to compromise. Sometimes the citizens propose the comprimise or the Commision proposes it.

The important aspect is that you don't have to just be the victim.

• The title was changed to What Is Notice For Variance Request
  • The title was changed to Community Artists’ Collective At 4101 San Jacinto St.