Memories Of Riverside Terrace

PapillionWyngs

John Chase's house is one of the nicest mods in the neighborhood. It's also kind of unique because it's a mod on the north side of the bayou. Most of the mods I'm familiar with in the neighborhood are on the south side.

• Like 1

Several years ago at an estate sale in Meyerland I saw a small stack of 1940's photographs of that house. The house was already painted by then and it displayed a faux wrought iron balcony across underneath the 2nd floor windows where the 'scar' stands. What made it poignant is that the house looked so impeccable in the background with a beaming young family standing proudly on the beautifully landscaped front yard. The pictures screamed "we found the American Dream". I wanted to buy these pictures but the dealer wanted far too much for them.

Thanks for the info. I'd love to see that photograph! Painted brick and a balcony makes sense with the style of the house, though I'd argue that the house might look better without the balcony. Do you remember what the entry looked like in the photo? There's a ghost outline of an arch over the front door. Also, do you remember if the windows had shutters on them? I'm thinking they did, given the wide space between the decorative brick cornice and the second story windows.

I'm now wondering what the attached bldg on the right could be...a garage (w/ back entrance) or another room? Or maybe, a garage & a room, on top? Dan or JLWM8609, did you walked the property? Have you seen the back of the structure, got any clue? The two unequal windows in front bother me. I like to see balance in the details, in such a formal house.

• Like 1

I'm now wondering what the attached bldg on the right could be...a garage (w/ back entrance) or another room? Or maybe, a garage & a room, on top? Dan or JLWM8609, did you walked the property? Have you seen the back of the structure, got any clue? The two unequal windows in front bother me. I like to see balance in the details, in such a formal house.

The building on the right is a garage with the door facing the rear of the property. There is a room over the garage, with a hallway over the port couchere to connect it to the main house. Automobile access to the garage was through the port couchere, or from the alleyway along the back of the property.

The building on the right is a garage with the door facing the rear of the property. There is a room over the garage, with a hallway over the port couchere to connect it to the main house. Automobile access to the garage was through the port couchere, or from the alleyway along the back of the property.

Wow...great to know the details...thnx Dan. What a unique design.

• Like 1

I have been fascinated by Riverside Terrace/Washington Terrace for such a long time. It is such a beautiful location and so close to the Med Center, downtown, midtown, hermann park, museums, UH, TSU, Rice, etc... that I would think that in ANY other city, it would have been rediscovered years ago.

It's a real shame to see so much rotting away even moreso because so many of the new builds are just terrible. And now the metal condos are coming...

I really love renovating old homes and was really close to doing it in Riverside but just couldn't find one on the market. There's really little for sale despite there being so many empty looking properties.

• Like 1

It's a real shame to see so much rotting away even moreso because so many of the new builds are just terrible. And now the metal condos are coming...

I don't think the new build homes are as bad as the condos. The new build homes are typically single family households, and the condos house more folks than a single family household in the same space. This means that the condos contribute more traffic on neighborhood streets, and are just more strain on the infrastructure as it relates to things such as flooding.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. I'd love to see that photograph! Painted brick and a balcony makes sense with the style of the house, though I'd argue that the house might look better without the balcony. Do you remember what the entry looked like in the photo? There's a ghost outline of an arch over the front door. Also, do you remember if the windows had shutters on them? I'm thinking they did, given the wide space between the decorative brick cornice and the second story windows.

I do recall the photos showing thick fluted pilasters on each side of the doorway but cannot remember seeing an arch on top for the pilasters went up pretty much all the way to the faux balcony above. There were potted topiaries on both sides of the front door, giving the house a distinct "Hollywood Regency" look.

I also remember seeing dark-colored shutters on the first floor windows but not if the 2nd floor windows had them. What I thought was interesting was that the house prominently displayed a railing matching the fake balcony along the roof ridge between the chimneys.

There is another house nearby that still has the faux balcony similar to this house but I cannot recall its exact location.

I live in Riverside Terrace off S Macgregor and Oak crest. There are several boarded up homes along my street. One home is a very large 50's ranch , the owner is now confined to an assisted living facility. The other home is a very impressive two story. The front yards are stilled maintained, but the rear yards are jungles. There are also several large empty homes one on Rose neath and the other on Scott near Charleston both are owned by the same family that owns the old Weingaten estate. The home on Roseneath is very stately with a pool, the Colonial home on Scott need a helping hand. I think both homes are for sale.

I live in Riverside Terrace off S Macgregor and Oak crest. There are several boarded up homes along my street. One home is a very large 50's ranch , the owner is now confined to an assisted living facility. The other home is a very impressive two story. The front yards are stilled maintained, but the rear yards are jungles. There are also several large empty homes one on Rose neath and the other on Scott near Charleston both are owned by the same family that owns the old Weingaten estate. The home on Roseneath is very stately with a pool, the Colonial home on Scott need a helping hand. I think both homes are for sale.

Can you get an address for those homes? I'd like to see them.

The family that currently owns the old Weingaten estate have the following homes for sale in the Riverside area.

4202 Rose neath and 5715 Scott both are very large old homes with the home on Rose neath being the best of the two.

Along the 4000 block of Fern wood you can find two large homes that are boarded up and not being lived in, both homes are still very nice and maintained.

Several of the stately mansions along S. Macgregor were badly damaged by the tornadoes that swept through the area during Hurricane Ike and still sit empty.

Despite this there are several new homes under construction or recently completed, including a McMansion on Rose neath near the home of Congress women Sheila Jackson Lee thats on the market for over $1,000,000.

Former Police Chief C O Bradford demolished that beautiful mid century home on Rose neath that graces the cover of the Documentary "This is Our Home it's not for Sale" in order to build His McMansion .

The family that currently owns the old Weingaten estate have the following homes for sale in the Riverside area.

4202 Rose neath and 5715 Scott both are very large old homes with the home on Rose neath being the best of the two.

Along the 4000 block of Fern wood you can find two large homes that are boarded up and not being lived in, both homes are still very nice and maintained.

Several of the stately mansions along S. Macgregor were badly damaged by the tornadoes that swept through the area during Hurricane Ike and still sit empty.

Despite this there are several new homes under construction or recently completed, including a McMansion on Rose neath near the home of Congress women Sheila Jackson Lee thats on the market for over $1,000,000.

Former Police Chief C O Bradford demolished that beautiful mid century home on Rose neath that graces the cover of the Documentary "This is Our Home it's not for Sale" in order to build His McMansion .

There were tornadoes in the area during Ike?

Thnx for the info. Will have to check those out. If there were tornadoes in that area, maybe that's how that corrugated steel or aluminum sheet got bent around that tree in the yard of the mod that sits in that bayou. It's still there. Or maybe it was deposited by the bayou flood water. I don't have an address. Think it's right before you get to the (4000 address) Weingarten estate home, on South MacGregor. On the left, right after you cross the road, Scott? heading East. Mod has been remuddled. Looks bad. Think we talked about it, earlier. I love to hear stories of this neighborhood, please, tell me more. :)

BTW- Whose house was at S. MacGregor Way, that Sat in front of Leopold Dr., huge lot extends to the East, seen on 1964 hist. aeriel map, house had an addition built on in or around 2002. It was another large property, as well.

Edited by NenaE

The mid century home on S Macgregor just past Scott was owned by a Football player who started remodeling the property, but sold it before any worthwhile improvements were completed.

It was a very nice looking home with it's wide glass balcony.

It was damaged by Hurricane Ike as was many others in the area.

The tornadoes from Ike they cut threw MacGregor Park and made a path west from the park up S Macgregor and along the bayou.

Our home on Fern wood received no damaged, but along S MacGregor nearly every home had either major roof damage, down trees or both.

Many trees seemed to have been pulled from the ground with their roots intact others were just torn in half.

We sit the hurricane out at home and yes just as they say in the movies it sounds like a freight train when a tornado goes over!

The mid century home on S Macgregor just past Scott was owned by a Football player who started remodeling the property, but sold it before any worthwhile improvements were completed.

It was a very nice looking home with it's wide glass balcony.

It was damaged by Hurricane Ike as was many others in the area.

The tornadoes from Ike they cut threw MacGregor Park and made a path west from the park up S Macgregor and along the bayou.

Our home on Fern wood received no damaged, but along S MacGregor nearly every home had either major roof damage, down trees or both.

Many trees seemed to have been pulled from the ground with their roots intact others were just torn in half.

We sit the hurricane out at home and yes just as they say in the movies it sounds like a freight train when a tornado goes over!

Sounds like we got lucky. We're on S. MacGregor and all we really got were a bunch of tree limbs in the front yard.

Checked those addresses out on GoogleEarth...nice, both of them. Fernwood is a beautiful, quiet street. "Flew" down S. MacGregor Way. Such nice homes, some boarded up, see what you mean. How high did the water get, did it go over S. MacGregor Dr., during the hurricane?

I spent the first years of my life in the late 30's in the Riverside/Riverside Terrace area at 2655 Oakdale, just west of Ennis. I wonder what that house looks like now. Neighbors were Leon Jaworski, a young, up-and-coming attorney, and a very young Bill Archer, future congressman, both of whom some of you may know of. I attended kindergarten and first grade at Sutton Elementary, which was not too far from my house. I see there is now a Sutton in Sharpstown. I guess the original Sutton I attended was renamed.

You know, you can see your house on googleearth, it's easy to use, just install, and plug in your address. I just looked at Oakdale, is your previous house the large red brick two story or the smaller one-story w/ lighter, tan brick? Both look alright. There is a unique "Alamo" style house a few lots down, at or @ 2644 Oakdale. The school caught my eye, looked very old, nice style.

The Sanborn maps show a variety of different denominational churches (Baptist, Methodist, Episcopal) in the area in the 1940's, which hints at a mix of ethnic groups (at that time), not just Jewish. The synagogue was the largest, though, on a large piece of land.

57tbird, do you remember the house & land at Sampson & N. Macgregor?

• 3 months later...

I haven't been around since Ike, I think, but anyway, I am glad that I re-visited this thread. I looked at the Google street level map and saw a lot of the old homes that I remembered and visited in on Laurel Drive. I found this site http://www.trulia.com/property-sitemap/TX/Houston/77021/Laurel_Drive/ to be extremely helpful to me. The last time I was on Laurel Drive, I thought that three of the most beautiful houses that I had ever seen were gone. They weren't. I might have been on the wrong block of Laurel. I saw them on the Google Map, then that website above told me the years they were built. There was only one built in the 1970's, the rest (what remain, they are not all there, unfortunately) are the original houses. With the exception of one, they sure looked bigger when I was a little girl!!!!!

I'm currently working on an article about Riverside Terrace (you know, the neighborhood of stately homes on MacGregor, just off 288, that faces Braes Bayou...) and I want to do it justice. This has long been my favorite neighborhood in the entire city, not just because of the homes themselves but because of the history. I feel like so many people don't realize how or why Riverside Terrace was founded (wealthy Jewish families that weren't allowed to build/live in River Oaks in the 1930s) and it's very sad that many of the homes have fallen into disrepair. I go there to drive around all the time, just to look at the houses and appreciate the view: the bayou, with downtown's skyline in the background, is fan-freaking-tastic.

Could anyone point me to some resources for doing more research into the architects who built the homes and which homes were occupied by which families (i.e. the Finger family, the Sakowitz family, etc.)? I'm entirely unfamiliar with doing this kind of research and thought I'd ask the experts... :)

I'm currently working on an article about Riverside Terrace (you know, the neighborhood of stately homes on MacGregor, just off 288, that faces Braes Bayou...) and I want to do it justice. This has long been my favorite neighborhood in the entire city, not just because of the homes themselves but because of the history. I feel like so many people don't realize how or why Riverside Terrace was founded (wealthy Jewish families that weren't allowed to build/live in River Oaks in the 1930s) and it's very sad that many of the homes have fallen into disrepair. I go there to drive around all the time, just to look at the houses and appreciate the view: the bayou, with downtown's skyline in the background, is fan-freaking-tastic.

Could anyone point me to some resources for doing more research into the architects who built the homes and which homes were occupied by which families (i.e. the Finger family, the Sakowitz family, etc.)? I'm entirely unfamiliar with doing this kind of research and thought I'd ask the experts... smile.gif

Don't forget all the large homes that surrounded Parkwood Park.... I believe some of those folks (Sakowitz, Battlesteins, etc.) lived in the homes around the park as well.

Depending on the depth of research you're planning to do, I'd consider some or all of the following:

(1) Looking at the various past threads on the houses on HAIF.

(2) Talking to someone at the Houston Metropolitan Research Center. They can be very helpful, but call first as I think their hours are or will be different because of the construction at the Ideson building.

(3) Looking for archival material on the architects/homes/neighborhood on TARO. Looking quickly, I saw:

Oscar Holcombe Collection @ HMRC ("Of particular interest is the material available on the development of the Herman Park and Braes Bayou areas of Houston during the 1920's. Blue print drawings and reports are included in the collection.")

A Guide to the Hogg Family Papers, 1895-1948 ("1929-1935 MacGregor Drive Development Company")

(4) Searching old Galveston newspaper articles on newspaperarchive.com - you can often find a lot of information there just on your computer. [speaking of which, I would LOVE to see a Press story sometime on why Houstonians have such poor access (compared to other major cities) to the wealth of historical information contained in the Post and Chron archives. Rumors abound.]

Good luck with the article!

Could anyone point me to some resources for doing more research into the architects who built the homes and which homes were occupied by which families (i.e. the Finger family, the Sakowitz family, etc.)? I'm entirely unfamiliar with doing this kind of research and thought I'd ask the experts... :)

I'd think one of the first things you might want to look at is a documentary that was made about 15 or 20 years ago called "This House Is Not For Sale". I believe it includes a lot of the history on this area from it's development, into the '70s.

Thanks so much to everyone for their help. The length of the piece (and the timeframe for completing it) were cut, so it ended up as a simple blog post instead. But if you'd like to read it and see the slideshow of images, you can find them here:

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2009/08/houston_101_the_forgotten_mans.php

One day I'd love to sit down and be as thorough as possible in putting together a feature on this neighborhood...

http://www.houstonar...rt%20deco&st=20

2506 Riverside Dr. & N. Old MacGregor Way (see @ post #37)

It's by one of the old bends in the bayou, the old route of the bayou, close to Hwy 288, Old MacGregor Way. I know you know that area, we've talked about it. I was shocked when I ran across it, on GoogleEarth. Hidden Gem.

Edited by NenaE