Memories Of Riverside Terrace

PapillionWyngs

amazing how us blacks have gotten bad raps which has caused other races to develop that same mindset even though they were treated just as bad...

Why would a Jew be prejudiced against a black when they were done wrong by someone with the same skin color who opposed their religion in early 1900s?

sad part about it....this same story (white flight) I would like to see has been replayed all across Houston to the point to where whites are back to the farms

• 11 months later...
The Weingarten house still stands at 4000 S. MacGregor. I don't know if the Weingartens initally sold their house to a black family or not, but white people live there now.

Now that you mention it, I noticed that there was a white lady sitting outside, when I drove by, when I backed up to do a double-take on that Weingarten gem, and get an address. Just thought, she must be used to this, by now. Frankly, I don't care what color the people are, as long as they love & take care of those beauties. :) That front beveled glass is what caught my eye initially.

Oh, and I would like to see that film you all talk about, heard of it many yrs. ago.

Edited by NenaE
  • Like 1

Now that you mention it, I noticed that there was a white lady sitting outside, when I drove by, when I backed up to do a double-take on that Weingarten gem, and get an address. Just thought, she must be used to this, by now. Frankly, I don't care what color the people are, as long as they love & take care of those beauties. :) That front beveled glass is what caught my eye initially.

Oh, and I would like to see that film you all talk about, heard of it many yrs. ago.

That house could use a little care. I'm pretty sure they know what a historic gem the house is, I hope it gets restored to its former glory one day and not replaced by a gaudy MegaMcMansion.

• Like 2

Riverside Terrace is a jewel. Easily the prettiest setting in town inside the loop. The neighborhood really does have multiple ravines and compared to most of Houston, it's "hilly."

That said, on my last trip thru there, I've noticed that there have been some TERRIBLE McMansion builds. Some of the nastiest houses I have ever seen. I am glad that the hood is healthy enough for people to invest in, but it's a real shame to see historical gems being ruined by typical builder crap. Oh well, if it can happen in River Oaks it can happen anywhere...

• Like 1

Riverside Terrace is a jewel. Easily the prettiest setting in town inside the loop. The neighborhood really does have multiple ravines and compared to most of Houston, it's "hilly."

That said, on my last trip thru there, I've noticed that there have been some TERRIBLE McMansion builds. Some of the nastiest houses I have ever seen. I am glad that the hood is healthy enough for people to invest in, but it's a real shame to see historical gems being ruined by typical builder crap. Oh well, if it can happen in River Oaks it can happen anywhere...

On my recent drive thru Riverside, I even saw a few large, long pieces of metal roofing bent around several trees, on a house lot that backs to one of those ravines. An eerie reminder of the strength of mother nature. I see trees everyday that were affected by that hurricane. Were many of Riverside's trees lost?

Houston is amazing, I am a native Houstonian, and see something new (old bldgs I've never seen before or terrain differences I didn't know were there) every time I explore to take pictures. This town is absolutely huge. I hope we don't lose too much history in the name of new development. I especially hate to see those very old downtown "ward" houses disappear.

• Like 1

I managed to snag a copy from the director, Jon Schwartz, no less, when I went to its most recent screening last April (I believe) at the Museum of Fine Arts. I wasn't able to stay for the 2+ hour film but I did buy a copy from the director who was there to present his documentary. Last time I checked, you could buy a DVD from the MFA gift shop. It's worth a check.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I admit, my only knowledge of Riverside Terrace used to be on the rare occasion when i would exit UH to the south and wonder what those mansions were on the other side of the bayou.

If this neighborhood is so golden, why is there what looks to be a decent sized cleared corner lot across the street from some mansions going for under 55k.. History of this neighborhood aside.. that seems like quite a steal.

Edited by Highway6
  • Like 1

Speaking of lots:

Beautifully Landscaped lot perfect for redevelopment. The lot to the west was replatted and construction of fourteen townhomes has begun. The lot is fully fenced with many mature trees and functioning pool. The home is occuped and dogs are present. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO WALK THE PROPERTY.

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...mp;backButton=Y

I think this house was discussed as being haunted in another thread.

2rc3hjp.jpg

• Like 1

I've been looking at that house, too, on HAR..."perfect for redevelopment"...uuuhhhhhh....what? I hate that term. They wouldn't tear that down, would they? Please say it isn't so...the house needs to stay, & some more big dogs to protect it. Townhomes, boo. :angry: I like to see Townhomes & Brownstones in certain locations...but Not there! I really hope Riverside doesn't get torn up with this kind of redevelopment, just because of it's location.

• Like 1

well.. the lot i was referring to has already razed whatever it held to the ground.

There are 3 lots, 53k, 60k, and 70k in that neighborhood.... which compared to other prices I've been seeing, seem more comparable to questionable neighborhoods, or properties right next to RR tracks...

Like i said.. i know nothing about this area. To me its a transition zone of which I know nada... but it seems pleasant enough from a clueless google maps perspective.

• Like 1

The problem is that this neighborhood is not a "transitional" neighborhood. It just is what it is. It would seem like it ought to be transitional... still priced low, close to everything. But many people living here really don't want it to change. Plus there are a lot of really trashy apartment complexes, and an awful lot of police activity.

Maybe it will turn out to be a model of healthy development... some plots, here and there, developed into denser townhomes, mixed with large single family houses, and apartments. There are certainly enough buses to make it a no-car urban neighborhood. But it is in serious need of decent retail, and I just don't see that happening with the perception (and reality? I don't know) of crime here.

The problem is that this neighborhood is not a "transitional" neighborhood.

I wasn't clear, sorry.

I meant this neighborhood is roughly a mile or 2 from MedCenter/Rice homes and the same distance from Upper 3rd Ward homes.... polar opposites.. it's a middle (transitional) area of which honestly, I've never had reason to be curious about.

Course.. this is houston, so there are transitional areas everywhere.

I wasn't clear, sorry.

I meant this neighborhood is roughly a mile or 2 from MedCenter/Rice homes and the same distance from Upper 3rd Ward homes.... polar opposites.. it's a middle (transitional) area of which honestly, I've never had reason to be curious about.

Course.. this is houston, so there are transitional areas everywhere.

Oh yes, sorry I misread you. But nevertheless, people do think of this as a transitional neighborhood, in the sense that I was talking about. And I'm not sure it is.

link to Riverside ghost house talk, starts at post #14...

It is the one at 2615. I sure would like to know who the original owner was, and what year the house was built. Probably 1920's.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...showtopic=11222

House at 2615 Riverside, Yr. Blt. 1935 (HCAD, if they are correct), Good Quality, Fair Condition.

That section of Riverside is under going a major make over with new townhomes ,condo's and a multi-million dollar project being built on the corner of N Macgregor and 288. Very little thought is given to save any of those beautiful homes in that area

http://texashistory.unt.edu/permalink/meta-pth-5865:83

Anyone recognize this one?

Spanish style...who's was it, originally?

address?

Is it still there?

I think that one is gone, probably demolished for 288. Judging by the fact that the loggia is on the right side of the house, I'd venture to say the house was on the north side of the street (loggias & screen porches were almost always on the southeast side of a house to catch the breeze). Perhaps historicaerials.com could give us clues to a more definite location?

I think that one is gone, probably demolished for 288. Judging by the fact that the loggia is on the right side of the house, I'd venture to say the house was on the north side of the street (loggias & screen porches were almost always on the southeast side of a house to catch the breeze). Perhaps historicaerials.com could give us clues to a more definite location?

I couldn't locate it on G.Earth or HistAeriels...perhaps you are right...will have to drive by...Too bad, it was a nice looking one. I did find an interesting (but not as ornate) very large house on the corner of MacGregor Way & Riverside Dr. (address may be 2506 Riverside Dr.), driveway is on MacGregor Way. Trees grown up around it, looks spooky. See google/earth.

And a new listing...wonder what it looked like, originally.

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...mp;backButton=Y

Yeah, this is all the information I could find on the Parten house...those block numbers don't seem to exist anymore or refer to something else completely:

File No: C491317

Grantor:PARTEN LEO W ETAL

Grantee:CAMPBELL JOYCE E

Date:19670501

Type:REL

Desc:RIVERSIDE TER 11L0024B0058PT/LT

Vol-Page:6746038

File No:

C177069

Grantee:AMERICAN GEN INVMT CORP

FC: 039350298

Date:19651011

Type:ASSGN

Desc:RIVERSIDE TER 12 P L7 B61 &

Vol-Page:6101615

File No: C177069

Grantee:JACKSON RICHARD A ETAL

FC: 039350298

Date:19651011 Type:W/D

Desc:RIVERSIDE TER 12 P L7 B61 &

Vol-Page:6101615

File No: V954983

Grantor:PARTEN JOHN R ETAL

Grantee:CRISWELL & ASSOCT INC

FC: 554301807

Date:20020723

Type:W/D

Desc:RIVERSIDE TER Section:10 Lot: Block:B0054 Misc:INSTR

Unfortunately, the Harris County Block Books are not accessible..

Which one is the Parten house? Oh, nevermind, that's the modern one, below the Spanish one, in the pic. That's a very early mod home.

The spooky one at 2506 Riverside Dr. was blt. in 1955, according to HCAD. Lt. 1, Blk 32, Section 5, Riverside Terrace.

There are some on the block from the 1930's.

We need to be able to see the block books. :angry:

Edited by NenaE

The spooky one at 2506 Riverside Dr. was blt. in 1955, according to HCAD. Lt. 1, Blk 32, Section 5, Riverside Terrace.

There are some on the block from the 1930's.

We need to be able to see the block books. :angry:

2506 Riverside Dr. was designed by Bailey A. Swenson in the year 1936 (AIA Arch. Guide). Where on earth is HAR getting it's information? "White-stucco surfaced, flat-roofed modern", mentions it was the first Ben Proler house. Wow, 1936, that was early for modern, wonder what the neighbors thought.

BTW, the block books are back.

http://books.tax.hctx.net/v061/AE1997_61-1_0071.jpg

Edited by NenaE

After reading so many posts about Riverside Terrace, I decided to take a drive and see it for myself. I drove down S. MacGregor, and honestly, it was kinda sad to see. Don't get me wrong - there were many well kept beautiful homes, but there were also other huge homes that were abandoned and unkept. I even saw homes with boarded up windows and overgrown grass, and these homes were huge, beautiful structures that are now wasting away - so sad. I enjoyed the beauty of the majority of the homes, but the ones that were abandoned really struck me.