Memories Of Riverside Terrace

PapillionWyngs

Jon Schwartz is actually compiling a list of those interested in purchasing the series.

You can contact the Museum of Fine Arts at this link and they will forward your name to him.

The link is film@mfah.org just tell them you are interested in purchasing the film and they will send you a reply within 24 hours acknowledging your placement on the list.

For those of you who remember seeing the film, with that famous cover shot of the older lady standing in front of a modern home with the no sale sign, that home is currently on the market for $328,000 it is on Roseneath and very little has changed since that picture was taken decades ago.

Riverside is my home and no, it's not for sale. (Since I rent and don't own. :lol: )

Seriously, I've been looking for that documentary but can't find it. Anybody on here know where I can score a copy?

An old friend of mine loaned me a copy years ago, and I thought I had made another copy from it. I couldn't find it in my collection, so I contacted my original source, who was kind enough to send it back to me. It is almost 20 years old (1989). Since the tape is about 3 1/2 hours long, it was recorded in the EP mode. Surprisingly, it is in fairly decent, viewable condition.

So... I have some questions for the legal and technical experts on the forum. Since it is copyrighted, can I make more copies from a copy that may have already violated the copyright? Obviously, they would not be up for sale. Since it is over 3 hours long, should it be split up into two DVD's, or can it be put on one DVD and still not lose much, if any, from the original VHS EP copy? Pardon my ignorance on this, but I do not have a recorder. A neighbor does, and after I get it transferred, I can make more copies on my PC. Lastly, would it be better to have it transferred professionally? However, if copyrighted, that might not be an option.

Jon Schwartz is actually compiling a list of those interested in purchasing the series.

You can contact the Museum of Fine Arts at this link and they will forward your name to him.

The link is film@mfah.org just tell them you are interested in purchasing the film and they will send you a reply within 24 hours acknowledging your placement on the list.

For those of you who remember seeing the film, with that famous cover shot of the older lady standing in front of a modern home with the no sale sign, that home is currently on the market for $328,000 it is on Roseneath and very little has changed since that picture was taken decades ago.

Thanks for this tip. I have sent an email to MFA. I hope everyone else does the same.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey, everyone! My name is Alan and I'm new to the forum! I'm not an architect, but I am a huge Houston history buff. It's nice to finally meet some folks who are insanely fasinated with our city's history. I especially love Houston's old movie theaters.

My wife and I recently took a drive through Riverside Terrace. We love the houses there and the history. Especially the uber contemporary 1940's split-level case study house on Del Rio and N. Parkwood, right off of MacGreggor. It was built in 1948 and its the ultimate 40's/50's contemporary. Whats especially interesting is going to the HCAD web page and entering the street address for houses that are interesting. HCAD lists when the house was built, number of room, square footage, etc.

Speaking of which, does anyone know where the Fingers house was, the Sakowitz's house, the Weingarten's or the Battlestein's were located? They may have been torn down to put 288 thru.

Alan

• Like 1

Good to know there are others here with high interest in city history.

There are several topics about Riverside under Other Houston neighborhoods. Wish they could all be merged so that no one misses out on good info. There was one I started called The vicinity around TSU? Now is the time to enjoy this area because the ever present development is fastly encroaching on to this area and may alter the appearance forever.

• Like 1

Good to know there are others here with high interest in city history.

There are several topics about Riverside under Other Houston neighborhoods. Wish they could all be merged so that no one misses out on good info. There was one I started called The vicinity around TSU? Now is the time to enjoy this area because the ever present development is fastly encroaching on to this area and may alter the appearance forever.

Welcome to HAIF!

There are many threads and mentions of the houses in Riverside Terrace (especially the contempo-modern ones) in the Houston Mod section of the board. Many of those houses are in danger of being torn down, though. There are also a few pictures of them (soon to be many more) on Houston Mod's website.

Alan,

Welcome to the forum. My wife and I are finishing up a house right now in riverside terrace and we simply love the neighborhood. I truly think it is one of the hidden gems in Houston. Sure there is crime, but there is crime everywhere. If you are ever see yourself in the area again feel free to contact me and stop by. We would love to show you around our great neighborhood.

Matthew

Hey, everyone! My name is Alan and I'm new to the forum! I'm not an architect, but I am a huge Houston history buff. It's nice to finally meet some folks who are insanely fasinated with our city's history. I especially love Houston's old movie theaters.

I meant to post this earlier but forgot to until now. If you haven't already seen it, check out David Welling's wonderful new book Cinema Houston - anyone who remembers any of Houston's movie theaters of the past will find it an indispensable reference.

Cinema Houston

The Weingarten house was demolished by the family. One of the family members said on the movie, "This is My House it is not For Sale" said that she was happy to see it was torn down because she did not feel it would have been taken care of properly. She said that it would have been like watching a beautiful old lady deteriorate before your eyes.

I also know that Jack Ceasar's house was saved and moved somewhere else. Does anyone know where that house is?

The Weingarten house is located at 4000 MacGregor Way South

The Sakowitz house was located at 3533 MacGregor Way North

From the 1966 Cole's Directory:

Bernard Sakowitz

Robert T. Sakowitz

3533 MacGregor Way North

(About this time, I believe the house was demolished and apartments built on the site. According to the movie, This Is Our Home, It Is Not For Sale, the senior Sakowitz couple moved to a high-rise apartment near Tanglewood.)

Bernard Weingarten

4000 MacGregor Way South

• Like 1

I am very shocked and suprised that Riverside Terrace does not have a historic organization and/or protection established to prevent people from tearing down the homes. I have decided that I am going to try to get something organized.

Does anyone have any experience in this. I figured people in the heights would know something about it, but I just don't know where to start.

Advice?

Well, I am used to that. I was in charge of a neighborhood association in Dallas that grew 100 fold during my tenure. As I see it that, a true leader is measured by how they delegate authority. I was good about that when I was there, and now there are a lot of people involved in that association.

I would love to use that experience and my corporate sponsorship to help with the Riverside Terrace effort.

I am very shocked and suprised that Riverside Terrace does not have a historic organization and/or protection established to prevent people from tearing down the homes. I have decided that I am going to try to get something organized. Does anyone have any experience in this? I just don't know where to start. Advice?

I'm not trying to discourage you, but you should know that, in Texas at least, and in Houston, there is no kind of "historic" designation that will prevent people from tearing down old homes or businesses.

State Historical Landmark designation won't do it, and even being on the National Register of Historic Places won't do it. Every historic preservation group in this state has been trying to get the legislature to pass a preservation law with some real teeth, but commercial developers have too much power in Austin for that to happen. Same story at Houston City Council, where developers are in complete control.

Even people in the Heights haven't been able to get historic protection, but some good people in the Heights are hanging in there, trying to fight the good fight. Here's their website: http://www.houstonheights.org/index.htm

You could also contact the Old Sixth Ward Historical District, which is also fighting a losing battle to preserve that area of beautiful old 19th century homes just west of downtown, north of the bayou and south of Washington Avenue. They can probably help you get started.

Here's their website: http://www.old6ward.org/

The Texas Historical Commission is also a great source of information. It has programs and procedures for doing precisely what you are proposing.

Here's a direct link to the FAQ page on the THC website. http://www.thc.state.tx.us/faqs/faqhp.html

Edited by FilioScotia

I am aware that a historic significance does not really prevent people from tearing down homes, but it does help with federal funding when it come to organization of the civic groups and some improvements for common areas and such. I have even seen some historic groups who are able to get tax breaks and improvement funding for homes being restored.

Either way, an collective organization needs to be established. I know there are a lot of people here that would love to see something started and I would hope some of those people will chime in and give their opinions as well.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but you should know that, in Texas at least, and in Houston, there is no kind of "historic" designation that will prevent people from tearing down old homes or businesses.

State Historical Landmark designation won't do it, and even being on the National Register of Historic Places won't do it. Every historic preservation group in this state has been trying to get the legislature to pass a preservation law with some real teeth, but commercial developers have too much power in Austin for that to happen. Same story at Houston City Council, where developers are in complete control.

Even people in the Heights haven't been able to get historic protection, but some good people in the Heights are hanging in there, trying to fight the good fight. Here's their website: http://www.houstonheights.org/index.htm

You could also contact the Old Sixth Ward Historical District, which is also fighting a losing battle to preserve that area of beautiful old 19th century homes just west of downtown, north of the bayou and south of Washington Avenue. They can probably help you get started.

Here's their website: http://www.old6ward.org/

The Texas Historical Commission is also a great source of information. It has programs and procedures for doing precisely what you are proposing.

Here's a direct link to the FAQ page on the THC website. http://www.thc.state.tx.us/faqs/faqhp.html

FYI---- The Old Sixth Ward is now Houston's first and only Protected Historic District (and the oldest intact neighborhood in Houston). It was a years-long, very labor intensive battle that took great persistence, some savvy, lots of networking with like-minded people and groups, and a whole lot of man hours and trips to City Council from a lot of people who love this neighborhood and were committed enough to "never say die" and never give up. And it took a supermajority of support, which this neighborhood has, and has had to prove to the city again and again across many years. We got our Protected Historic District designation August 1, 2007- nearly 10 years after becoming a municipally designated historic district, and almost 30 years after being listed as a National Register Historic District.

Here is a link to the Certificate of Appropriateness & design guidelines (pattern book) for the Old Sixth Ward on the City's website. http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/historic.../sixth_ward.htm

Get on the email lists of Historic Houston, Save the Bungalows, Houston Arts and Media, Amnesia Houston, and Save Our Landmarks. Get involved in the preservation community in Houston so you know what is going on and can hear about any workshops or trainings or gatherings that will help you get a start on organizing your neighborhood. Get to know the property owners who are owenr/residents and see how they feel about preserving/protecting their neighborhood. You MUST show a great deal of support at City Hall or you don't get anywhere. Get to know your council members, let them know what you care about, they can put you in touch with others when known. Be visible. You have a good start by posting on this board, post on blogs also and get your ideas and needs out there so people can find you.

Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...