HAIF Houston Slogan Contest

editor

It's time for another contest on HAIF!

We've done a number of photo contests in the past, but not everyone has a camera or the time or ability to upload pictures, so this contest is designed to open things up to a broader audience -- pretty much everyone on HAIF.

It's the HAIF Houston Slogan Contest

Come up with a catchy slogan for the city or metro of Houston. Tell the world what's great about Houston, why people should give it a chance, come visit, or just express your feelings for the city.

Here are the constraints:

• Ten words or less.
  • Slogans must be your original work.
  • Slogans must be posted by 11:59pm CDT September 15, 2009.
  • You agree to let HAIF use your slogan when the contest is done (for header graphics or T-shirts or whatever).

All members of HAIF are eligible to win, including moderators, but except me.

To enter, simply reply to this thread with your slogan. One slogan per reply. Enter as many slogans as you like.

Here's the fun part -- everyone gets to vote on every entry. Simply use the + and - buttons attached to each slogan to register your vote. The top ten vote getters will then undergo a final round of voting to select the winner. If there are more than ten finalists, my wife will narrow down the field.

And what does the winner get?

The Alessi - La Conica Miniature Espresso Coffee Maker by Also Rossi.

post-1-12509781849258_thumb.jpg

With meticulous attention to the intricacies of the shape and materials used to make the original, Alessi has reproduced in miniature form the "La Conica" Espresso Coffee Maker as designed by Aldo Rossi. Rossi's life as an architect started with Gardella and Zanuso. An author of abstraction, reduction and brevitas, his severe language of primary shapes, geometrical patterns and silent evocation created some of the most intensely poetic works of architecture and design in his age. These exact characteristics exude from his products as well, utilizing geometrical shapes to make profound design statements.

• Miniature reproduction of "La Conica" Espresso Coffee Maker
  • Miniature corresponds in great detail to original
  • 18/10 stainless steel
  • Copper bottom
  • Packaged in a gift box
  • Dimensions: 3.25 " H x 1.57" W x 1.02" D

See more about the La Conica Miniature Espresso Coffee Maker here: http://www.allmodern.com/Alessi-90002-6-M-AAS1242.html

This prize was generously donated to HAIF for this contest by All Modern. AllModern has a fantastic selection of modern furniture and home accessories from many leading designers. Part of CSN Stores, All Modern is just one of over 200 retail sites that offer a diverse array of products from office furniture by Herman Miller to wall sconces by Murray Feiss.

So, get your brains working and post your Houston slogan right here by clicking the "Reply" button.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are these slogans supposed to be HAIF related? You know, like:

“Houston – we got Red Scare. Whadda you got?”

Or are these for Houston in general?

OK, another silly question. When I would see that bar running across a thread, I would hit the minus sign to try to make it disappear. Does this somehow mean I have been dissing certain people?

Figure we need some inspiration..... Actually.. most of these suck.. we can do better than this.

1. What Happens Here, Stays Here. Las Vegas, NV

2. So Very Virginia. Charlottesville, VA

3. Always Turned On. Atlantic City, NJ

4. Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland, OH

5. The Sweetest Place on Earth. Hershey, PA

6. Rare. Well Done. Omaha, NE

7. The City Different. Santa Fe, NM

8. Where Yee-Ha Meets Olé. Eagle Pass, TX

9. City with Sol. San Diego, CA

10. Where the Odds Are With You. Peculiar, MO

11. Where Your Ship Comes In. Gulfport, MS

12. Soul of the Southwest. Taos, NM

13. Experience Our Sense of Yuma. Yuma, AZ

14. The City Was So Nice They Named It Twice. Walla Walla, WA

15. There’s More Than Meets the Arch. St. Louis, MO

16. Keep Austin Weird. Austin, TX

17. Where Chiefs Meet. Meeteetse, WY

18. City with a Mission. San Gabriel, CA

19. Where the Trails Start and the Buck Stops. Independence, MO

20. The City That Never Sleeps. New York City, NY

OK, another silly question. When I would see that bar running across a thread, I would hit the minus sign to try to make it disappear. Does this somehow mean I have been dissing certain people?

That might explain a lot of my minuses. :unsure:

I realize that as far as originality in this contest is concerned, this is the wrong path to go down.... but i do think the one famous quote the city has would merit consideration as a jumping off point if the objective is to make the slogan memorable to those outside the city.

I also think this is hard though without knowing if this is meant to target businesses or tourists or what... seems we should be having a Nickname contest instead ... something more encompassing that doesnt need a target.

Houston: We HAD a Problem.

Archived