Development At 10th St. And Ashland St.

tmariar

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eh, I don't know if all these are the same guy. I think every fire in the Heights, major or minor, is being attributed to him. The fire department probably deals with fire calls all the time, but since there's an arsonist lurking about so he's getting the credit for everything. This new one's 20 blocks away.

From the HPD active incidents report:

Address: YALE

Cross Street: BLK W 14TH ST

Key map: 452Z

Dispatch Time: 09/22/2009 21:26

Incident Type: Building Fire

Alarm Level: 0

Units: E015

Where did you go to get this active incident report? I would love to see the crime in the Heights.

A lesson in why not to give out too much personal info on HAIF. Especially if you're mean to tmariar.

Speaking of the arsonist (who is not me), I have issues with today's KHOU piece: http://bit.ly/XWSzn

1. Since when has the arsonist targeted buildings? I wouldn't even say the arsonist has targeted "mainly" "empty and abandoned" houses - see my other post/list above

2. What in the world does the number of "dangerous buildings" in the 77008 zip code have to do with the arsonist?

3. Cars that sit and you can't lease for months and months and months? What does that even mean? (I think it's just a transcription error)

4. Really, "experts" say that "in some cases" there are "homes [in the Heights] that cost hundreds of thousands of dollars next [to] others that are decades old"? As in 95% of the cases?

5. This piece just has a weird tone to it, like maybe this whole arson thing has a silver lining? All those "decades old" houses marring the view from the rich peoples' new constructions... endangering our children... drawing arsonists...

A lesson in why not to give out too much personal info on HAIF. Especially if you're mean to tmariar.

Speaking of the arsonist (who is not me), I have issues with today's KHOU piece: http://bit.ly/XWSzn

1. Since when has the arsonist targeted buildings? I wouldn't even say the arsonist has targeted "mainly" "empty and abandoned" houses - see my other post/list above

so a fire has occurred at one house at least 4 times and it's not targeted????? i would say put down the crackpipe but you would get mad at me!!!!

I agree with the weirdness of the article - maybe more to do with badly written/researched...

What you find in some cases are homes that cost hundreds of thousands of dollars next others that are decades old, say experts.

Homes that are almost a century old still cost hundreds of thousands of dollars there, too...but "experts" were consulted :rolleyes:

so a fire has occurred at one house at least 4 times and it's not targeted????? i would say put down the crackpipe but you would get mad at me!!!!

And I know where you live!

That one house was a duplex, and the articles I saw seemed to suggest that, while the first fire there started on the unoccupied side, the other side was occupied at the time. I've just not seen evidence that the arsonist is targeting "mainly" empty or abandoned structures.

That duplex was definitely targeted. Sounded like the arsonist set it on fire, then later set the remains on fire, then later set the rubble on fire. Weird.

The Chron article regarding the fire early Friday morning noted that it heavily damaged a garage apartment that had three people inside at the time the fire started. The garage apartment is directly behind the where the duplex that was initially (and repeatedly) targeted (one side of which was occupied when the first fire to it was set).

I just hope we don't see another news piece suggesting that the arsonist is targeting mainly vacant structures. Or that go off on strange and inaccurate tangents like the KHOU piece.

If anything, the notable pattern here seems to be that a large number of the fires have occurred in a relatively small area. For all I know, though, that may be typical of serial arsonists and not especially notable.

"Go" above should be "goes".

Part of the reason I haven't posted as much lately is that I don't like the new time limit on editing one's posts and topics. Probably isn't a big deal for most people, but is for me.

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives officials refuted earlier claims that suspects have been taken into custody in relation to the string of Houston Heights arsons.

ATF officials also said at a press conference this afternoon that another fire was set Friday several blocks from Ashland and 11th, where a dozen suspicious fires have started in abandoned structures since August.

article

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives officials refuted earlier claims that suspects have been taken into custody in relation to the string of Houston Heights arsons.

ATF officials also said at a press conference this afternoon that another fire was set Friday several blocks from Ashland and 11th, where a dozen suspicious fires have started in abandoned structures since August.

article

I believe the most recent fire was in the 1700 block of Durham. I checked HFD incidents as a flurry of sirens broke the peace of a nice, cool evening last night.

Sheila had a press conference around ATF's involvement at 3 today. She did it in the Heights Blvd esplanade at 11th Street. Bless her...she's the only person who could turn an arson string into a traffic jam. In all fairness, I'm glad she's giving some additional support to the situation.

I believe the most recent fire was in the 1700 block of Durham. I checked HFD incidents as a flurry of sirens broke the peace of a nice, cool evening last night.

Sheila had a press conference around ATF's involvement at 3 today. She did it in the Heights Blvd esplanade at 11th Street. Bless her...she's the only person who could turn an arson string into a traffic jam. In all fairness, I'm glad she's giving some additional support to the situation.

She would show her support to looking for a lost puppy if it got media coverage.

She would show her support to looking for a lost puppy if it got media coverage.

Agree. I sat across the aisle from Sheila on a flight from National to IAH in 2004. She was a machine for 3 hours scribbling notes and stickies on articles from a sack full of mags and rags

....pure proffesional politico.

She would probably steal the puppy too...

....pure proffesional politico.

Archived