New Downtown Park Near GRB

tomv

midtown coog's suggestion for initial greenspace would be cost conscious and smart.

phase one: establish a lawn and perimeter elements (preserving existing vegetation and elements). see how people use it, what paths (if any) do they take, etc? do events come up in which organizations or festivals desire to use the space?

phase two: use information from usage patterns to build a better park/public space.

• 3 months later...

I saw the list and in general was pleased with the ideas. I agree the restaurants were a little much, but I would imagine that gets pared down to one or town by the time all is said or done. I like the idea of a little cafe/ restaurant on it, I know some people will say its a rip off of Tavern on the Green or something, but I think it would be nice. I meant to link to the article yesterday but forgot.

I think it had something like a pond/stream, a kids area, a cafe, restaurants, some kind of playing field I think, and a dog run. Good for a start in my opinion.

People, goodness, you don't always have to go for the bare minimum all the time. Were bringing more activity in the area, why are we opposing it? Settle for mediocrity and you will get nothing but another Houston Gardens which will not spark any sort of development. I do not get you all sometime. When the park was announced, there were so many claims that it is overrated and will do nothing for the area but now that plans are released and they are more than you expect, we feel that we need to complain about it?

Yes, it's a park, not a food court!  One restaurant on-site is okay, but  I think Downtown would be better served by having the cafes across the street, overlooking the park.

I think the Cafe would be neat, haven't you ever been to central park in NYC there are resturants in there.

This just made me think about something. Is there a resturant in Memorial Park?

I really like the plans for the downtown park. I don't think it's too busy; there's a lot there in those 12 acres but what's wrong with that if it gets people downtown to use it? This could end up being a great location for outdoor festivals in the park and on surrounding streets, as well as an amenity that can be used by conventions. For once, we have a proposal for a new outdoor recreational area in this city that not only looks nice, but also includes many features that should attract people to use it. This could have ended up as just an expansion of the existing Houston Center Gardens, which while beautiful (well, they were nice before the rats and homeless moved in), didn't provide for much use by the public.

Beck's Prime is in the golf course clubhouse.  It does a pretty good business when the weather is nice.  There is a smoothie shop by the tennis courts as well.

That is why I said "in" I figured there was something at the golf course, but it is not like the DT park where there are places truly in the park. But then again people will probably be going into the park, compared to Memorial where alot is thick forest. Many people do not go in, but rather stick to the jogging trails. Or they go to the areas that have benches or a trail and stuff.

Edited by YakuzaIce

I agree. Going to the restaurant at the golf course is pretty well separated from the rest of the park. Your only view is of golfers.

I like the thought of an open style restaurant overlooking the park. Rent will also help pay for upkeep. A number of smaller kiosks would be nice, too. Nothing is worse than going to a park and not being able to buy a drink. This is important in a warm climate like ours. I hope they put in a few chess tables too.

I like the thought of an open style restaurant overlooking the park. 

I haven't read the last batch of posts but are they talking sidewalk cafes perhaps? Aren't sidewalk cafes universally loved in cities? Can you ever have enough of them Downtown? They create such a city feel. We have so few.

Convention center park. This is important. This is our chance to have thousands spread the good word about their experiences here. Hope we do this one up right.

Let the conventioners feel like they're on vacation, not at some work function. Yeah, it's hotter than hell here in summer. Can't we come up with state-of-the-art outdoor cooling systems creating coolness while dining outdoors? If so, those places would be packed. Let 'em go home talking about how, "that Houston, how clever they are. They really know how to make you feel good."

spark any sort of development

And herein lies the conundrum that has perplexed Houston for ages.

The city already has a lot of "sparks" downtown, but no truly raging fires.

I am convinced that the city needs a few less "sparks" and should concentrate on getting the kindling hot in all the other spots underway in downtown.

It's getting pretty murky between private development and the COH projects.

is it really possible in a free market to concentrate on these "sparks"? the various accomplishments that have occurred within the downtown area will eventually produce the critical mass we all long for. it simply takes time. it does seem like a lifetime when you watch it as closely as we do. the new park is a perfect fit IMO. if and when the pavilions project gets off the ground we will see more pieces of the puzzle come together. it is truly exciting the changes that are taking place for houston. not just with new development but the mindset of houstonians. unfortunately for us fans of urban renewal, long term change takes, well, a long time. :)

Good point bachanon.

I think the downtown development is moving quite nicely. We aren't going to have the explosive growthing like in China, Singapore, and Hong Kong.

Downtown is quite on tract. Any many of the people in the planning and proposal side from more public projects happy with the way things are going.

We are seeing more developers interested in downtown from other cities as the word gets out that there is another urban space that needs filling.

Houston has great space available that is ripe for development and developers are noticing, but they all can't just jump and go. These projects take time to go through feasibility, they need approvals to go forward. Financing is always a concern. But I've learn to take these news and proposals and say great, but not to get my hopes up and dashed when it doesn't happen.

If I had the position and the power to move these project forward, I would, but me and many of us are spectators in the process and can only watch.

• 2 months later...
  • The title was changed to New Downtown Park Near GRB