KTRK ABC 13 New 4:30am Newscast

Chris

Does anyone know the reasoning behind this new 30 minute edition to Eyewitness News This Morning? I think it's great and brilliant. No one else has a 4:30am newscast. It flows real well, I love it. Casey Curry now has her own entry montage like Tim Heller.

Its really no big deal, i mean has anyone ever seen an entire morning newscast? (or even an entire hour)

Its just the same news over and over. Usually there's new stories at the beginning of every hour, but with the exception of "breaking news", its quite redundant.

I know, there's not that many people watching an entire morning newscast, but if you ever try it,its pretty sad. Adding another half-hour makes it worse.

FOX 26 has the only local news at 5:30, and i think it has the only news on at 8:00-9:00 am. So big whoop for ABC 13. Congratulations, as if you really needed another half-hour, you already are the #1 news in Houston.

I would hate to be those anchors, having to wake up that much earlier. They must sleep all throughout the day and probably have to wake up at 2:00am to get to work. How do they do it? I remember a while back Tom Cook switched to the 4:00pm news only until the morning ratings went down and they put him back. I would bet that he is mad about this.

A newscast at 4:30am reminds me of this quote from an episode of The Simpsons in which Bart sets his alarm clock for 4:00am.

"DJ: Top of the hour, time for the morning news. But of course, there is no news yet. Everyone's still asleep in their comfy, comfy beds. Good night, everybody." :P

Though we all know in the big city, news occurs all the time in the wee hours, from drunken car crashes to gang shootings. For those of you who will be up at 4:30am, enjoy it! But wasn't there already a super early news show that came on before Good Morning America? I think it's called "America This Morning" or something like that.

ABC's World News Now was on at that time. So, the news simply changed from national to local. For those who want to know the weather and the traffic conditions before driving in to work, ABC13 is golden. As for other news, it is mostly a repeat of the previous night's news, as nothing has happened yet at 4:30 am. But, as one who drives at 4 am, I can say I like seeing the local news at that time of the morning.

I think it's a grand idea and I'm thankful that I don't have to wait an additional half hour to see what happened during the night.

Also, those that wake up that early generally don't stay up for the 10pm news, so it's a blessing for those guys. I've only needed to watch the first 15 to 20 minutes of a broadcast to see what's going on and then I'm off to work or sleep.

Does anyone know the reasoning behind this new 30 minute edition to Eyewitness News This Morning?

To give the sales department more local commercial inventory to sell.

I think it's great and brilliant. No one else has a 4:30am newscast.

KHOU announced a couple of weeks ago that it's starting a 4:30am September 7th. Sherry Williams will anchor.

KPRC's starts August 24th.

Its really no big deal, i mean has anyone ever seen an entire morning newscast? (or even an entire hour)

No one's supposed to, but there are people who do. Morning newscasts are intended to be watched for about 30-45 minutes. Most people watch around 20 minutes.

I know, there's not that many people watching an entire morning newscast, but if you ever try it,its pretty sad. Adding another half-hour makes it worse.

I worked at a station in another city at the time it launched its 4:30am news (I was on the 6am news). The station did research and found out when the major factories in the area did their morning shift changes. The research people then figured out the average commute time for the workers and determined that a 4:30am newscast would fit into the morning schedule of many of the market's factory workers quite nicely. It worked out very well and got very good ratings.

I don't know how many factories or factory workers there are in Houston, but when I'm up at 4:30am to catch a 6:00am flight, I'm always happy to have local news to turn on.

I would hate to be those anchors, having to wake up that much earlier. They must sleep all throughout the day and probably have to wake up at 2:00am to get to work. How do they do it? I remember a while back Tom Cook switched to the 4:00pm news only until the morning ratings went down and they put him back. I would bet that he is mad about this.

Who cares about the anchors? They get to sleep until 3:00am for a 4:30am show.

It's the writers and producers who have to come in at midnight or earlier you should feel bad for. For a 5am newscast in Houston, the producer should be at work no later than 11:00pm. When I was on the 6:00am news in Cincinnati, I was at work at 10:00pm the night before.

Anchors? Please... There's a reason the quotation on my Facebook page is, "Shut up and read, meat puppet! I don't pay you to think!"

To give the sales department more local commercial inventory to sell.

KHOU announced a couple of weeks ago that it's starting a 4:30am September 7th. Sherry Williams will anchor.

KPRC's starts August 24th.

Wow, ABC 13 is always a trendsetter, now the other 2 stations want to follow behind.

Who cares about the anchors? They get to sleep until 3:00am for a 4:30am show.

It's the writers and producers who have to come in at midnight or earlier you should feel bad for. For a 5am newscast in Houston, the producer should be at work no later than 11:00pm. When I was on the 6:00am news in Cincinnati, I was at work at 10:00pm the night before.

Anchors? Please... There's a reason the quotation on my Facebook page is, "Shut up and read, meat puppet! I don't pay you to think!"

I thought the anchors wrote some of their stories?

Is the 4:30am news cast done in the other major markets? NY, LA, Chicago, Dallas, etc

Wow, ABC 13 is always a trendsetter, now the other 2 stations want to follow behind.

Maybe yes, maybe no. It's hard to tell who came up with the idea first. The order in which they begin airing their shows is indicative of nothing. Just because KTRK is starting first doesn't mean it thought of the idea first. That's not how it usually works.

I thought the anchors wrote some of their stories?

What made you think that? The smallest market I worked in was 76. The largest was 3. In none of those markets did anchors write scripts. Sometimes they'll come in and review them and make tweaks so they fit the anchor's style better (though a good producer will already have done that). But actually writing a story? Maybe once a year. Maybe.

Is the 4:30am news cast done in the other major markets? NY, LA, Chicago, Dallas, etc

By market ranking:

1. In New York WNBC has a 24-hour subchannel. Everyone else comes on a 5:00am.
  2. In Los Angeles, KNBC starts at 4:00am. KABC and KTLA start at 4:30am. KCBS and KTTV start at 5:00am.
  3. In Chicago, WMAQ starts at 4:30am. WLS, WGN, WBBM, WFLD start at 5:00am.
  4. In San Francisco, KRON starts at 4:00am, KGO and KNTV start at 4:30am, KTVU and KPIX start at 5:00am.
  5. In Philadelpia, KYW, WPVI, and WCAU all start at 5:00am.

What made you think that? The smallest market I worked in was 76. The largest was 3. In none of those markets did anchors write scripts. Sometimes they'll come in and review them and make tweaks so they fit the anchor's style better (though a good producer will already have done that). But actually writing a story? Maybe once a year. Maybe.

You're right, that's what I was thinking about, they read over it and tweak it. So what do anchors do besides read the news and try to put a few jokes in to make the news flow? How much money do they make? How much do the meteorologist make? How much do reporters make?

After thinking about it a little, I'd like to clarify my post above. There are occasions when an anchor wrote stories, too. But only in certain circumstances.

1. They only did one per show.
  2. It was a weekend or holiday show, so there wasn't a full staff.
  3. The anchor was also a reporter on a normal day.

At certain stations where I worked, anchors (and sometimes even producers) couldn't write stories because it would infringe on the writers union contract. I got grieved by the union at one station because I wrote a story for my own show. Obviously, that didn't happen in Texas because the laws are different, but in some places the unions were so entrenched that certain people in the newsroom (sometimes myself included) spent hours a day just sitting around with nothing to do. It's a complicated topic and I'd rather not further derail this thread.

You're right, that's what I was thinking about, they read over it and tweak it. So what do anchors do besides read the news and try to put a few jokes in to make the news flow? How much money do they make? How much do the meteorologist make? How much do reporters make?

I would think most news personalities in the top 15 media markets make 6 figures or more per year.

I would think most news personalities in the top 15 media markets make 6 figures or more per year.

You would be wrong. And they're only getting cheaper these days. Too much competition. Everyone wants to be the face of the news. No one wants to go through all the hard work of being a good journalist.

• 1 month later...

You would be wrong. And they're only getting cheaper these days. Too much competition. Everyone wants to be the face of the news. No one wants to go through all the hard work of being a good journalist.

Does anyone know where Illona Carson has been? Gina Gaston has been her fill in for the past 3-4 weeks on Eyewitness News at 4. Maybe Vacation?

she was not a ginormous mom.

But certainly a hot one! She referenced her pregnancy a time or two during related news segments.

I just wish they'd tell Gina Gaston to do something about her eyebrows. From certain camera shots, she looks paticularly intrigued by a story.

I noticed as well! What happened? I hope its not permanent, maybe its botox

she frequently moves her brows up and down which is why they end up being a focal point, don't think it's botox. some of her dresses however may be made of botox. that grey rubbery one looks like something out of buck rogers.

Archived