Houston as seen during approach to Hobby Airport

JLWM8609

Here's a few photos I snapped as our flight came in yesterday. They're not good quality, but I wanted to share them with you anyway. Our flight flew in from Birmingham via Alexandria to the Rokit waypoint to do the Rokit One Arrival. The Rokit One Arrival Procedure basically brings the plane in from the Rokit wapoint located about 40 miles SE of Lufkin, with a turn to the SW near Kingwood. Thence the plane is brought in over Lake Houston, Settegast, Galena Park, the Ship Channel and then over Hobby Airport. Then, the plane does a turn over Hobby to a point W of the airport near 288 and Reed and then makes a turn to the north toward the Med Center. Then, the plane is given clearance to land on Runway 12R which means a turn over the old Astroworld site and the Med Center area while the landing gear is put down and the flaps are extended. The turn is usually complete once the plane is over Riverside and it's a straight shot for a landing.

Here's the start of our arrival. You can see the Trinity River below us.

GEDC1089.jpg

In this photo, you can make out Lake Livingston in the distance.

GEDC1091.jpg

GEDC1092.jpg

East of Kingwood

GEDC1095.jpg

Part of Lake Houston

GEDC1097.jpg

Here, you can see construction of the final leg of the Sam Houston Tollway.

GEDC1100.jpg

You can make out IAH in the distance.

GEDC1101.jpg

Landfill out on Beaumont Highway

GEDC1102.jpg

That US 90 freeway sure is coming along.

GEDC1103.jpg

The I-10/610/US 90 Interchange

GEDC1104.jpg

610 over the Ship Channel

GEDC1106.jpg

Portions of the East End

GEDC1107.jpg

Looking North at the Gulf Freeway

GEDC1108.jpg

South Loop East

GEDC1109.jpg

MLK Blvd

GEDC1111.jpg

288/610 Interchange

GEDC1112.jpg

Looking North at 288

GEDC1114.jpg

288 and Bellfort

GEDC1115.jpg

Downtown and the Med Center on a gloomy day

GEDC1116.jpg

Med Center, part of the Houston Zoo is visible as well.

GEDC1122.jpg

Good view of the Mosaic and the newly repaved Southmore St.

GEDC1124.jpg

Riverside with views of N. and S. MacGregor, 288, the Colubmia Tap Hike and Bike Trail, and the recently completed Modigliani Townhomes

GEDC1125.jpg

Intersection of OST and Scott

GEDC1127.jpg

Like I said before, not professional by any standards, but you can do only so much when the plastic interior window is scratched and the outside window is water stained.

Edited by JLWM8609
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a few more photos on appraoch to Hobby Airport that I took on July 30th on the way back to Austin from Jacksonville, FL.

Reliant Stadium

JAX091.jpg

Medical Center

JAX090.jpg

Medical Center

JAX089.jpg

Hobby Airport

JAX088.jpg

And a couple from inside the airport:

Walkway between main terminal and passenger concourse

JAX093.jpg

Passenger Concourse

JAX092.jpg

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

A few more photos from March 2, 2010 coming into HOU from Jacksonville, FL. Not being from Houston, I'm not really familiar with what we were flying over, but I do know we came in from the south

JAX281.jpg

I think this is the Gulf Freeway

JAX282.jpg

JAX283.jpg

JAX289.jpg

JAX284.jpg

JAX285.jpg

JAX288.jpg

JAX290.jpg

HOU001.jpg

Taking off again for Austin

HOU004.jpg

Wonderful photos! Looks like you guys did a 30L landing and a 30L departure. I flew MDW-HOU on Saturday night and made a video of the approach to 12R from 288 all the way to engine shutoff at the gate. Maybe I'll upload it to YouTube when I get the chance.

• 6 months later...

Excellent photos by all in this thread.

I flew in to HOU on gloomy and cloudy days this year. The pilot kept swaying the plane right and left on the most recent flight so it got very quiet inside. I'll have to take photos the next time.

LoneStarMike, what camera did you use and what airline had windows so clean you can't tell they are there in photos?

Excellent photos by all in this thread.

I flew in to HOU on gloomy and cloudy days this year. The pilot kept swaying the plane right and left on the most recent flight so it got very quiet inside. I'll have to take photos the next time.

LoneStarMike, what camera did you use and what airline had windows so clean you can't tell they are there in photos?

Im not much of a pilot but why would he say the plane?

• 8 months later...

Good pictures.. Some of those are real good for looking through an aircraft window.

I notice Southwest Maryland One parked in that "taking off for Austin" picture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6kGMYtkdVg

I snap a few of them when I'm in the neighborhood. I'll usually sit behind the fence

near Telephone and catch them going into 12R.

Shamu..

h1.jpg

Spirit of Kittyhawk

h5.jpg

Regular ole 737-700

h37.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Outstanding aerial pix. Lone Star Mike. Not only did I get jazzed by what HTown has become, I can see so much potential by what DT can achieve, if the development gods are willing and I live long enough to see it. ;) in addition to the commercial and residential highrises, I would love to see a couple more parks and urban gathering places. Little by little, the parking lots are disappearing.

• 1 month later...

That last picture needs to be kept for posterity. Take that photo and then compare it to the same shot in 2024 , 2034, etc. I think we will be astounded how much DT is going to change in the next two decades. I think we are in a similar building boom circa 1977 through 1985, even if the towers are shorter, the impact on the DT skyline is going to be dynamic. As exasperated as I could be to see all of those parking lots in the FOURTH largest city in the US, I think of the potential; forward thinking all the way. AND I remind myself of LA. Have we all seen THEIR DT?! Concrete city as well. Sprawling cities such as ours, I feel, are experiencing a reincarnation of their urbanism. Let's see what HTown does with her reincarnation of urbanism.

• Like 1