Hospital Costs

57Tbird

My mother saved everything. While going through some old boxes awhile back, I came across this hospital bill from when my sister was born in 1927. Names have been deleted to protect the innocent. I thought it interesting in light of all the present discussion about healthcare costs today. When my kids were born in the early 60's, I remember the hospital bills from St. Lukes were $400-$500 and that was for a 4-5 day stay. I would be curious to know what the hospital costs for newborns have been since then, if anyone is willing to share that info.

HospBillRe-1927.jpg

My mother saved everything. While going through some old boxes awhile back, I came across this hospital bill from when my sister was born in 1927. Names have been deleted to protect the innocent. I thought it interesting in light of all the present discussion about healthcare costs today. When my kids were born in the early 60's, I remember the hospital bills from St. Lukes were $400-$500 and that was for a 4-5 day stay. I would be curious to know what the hospital costs for newborns have been since then, if anyone is willing to share that info.

HospBillRe-1927.jpg

$3,000 for a 3 day stay at Bayshore as of Jan...09

I had no health insurance when my wife got pregnant with twins in 1968, so I took on a second job for five or six months to set aside money to pay the bill, which I expected to be huge. Our twins were born at St. Luke's in February of 1969, they were healthy with no complications, they were in the hospital for four days, and when I checked them all out I wrote a check for $975 dollars to pay the bill in full. I had already paid the doctor his fee of 300 dollars.

These days an identical birth at that hospital would cost untold thousands of dollars.

Archived