Institute Spur Train Line To Rice University

WillowBend56

If you look at maps of Houston dating from the 1910s and 1920s, you'll notice a rail spur from the old SA&AP (later Southern Pacific) mainline down to the Rice campus. [The San Antonio & Aransas Pass Railway paralleled today's Southwest Freeway.] One purpose of the rail spur was to service a coal power plant on the campus. Anyone seen old photographs of the rail line or the Rice power plant? It would appear the spur left the mainline and traversed what later became Greenbriar Dr.

• Like 1

From the original petition (from RI construction records in President Lovett's records):

[Rice Institute] is now engaged in the construction of extensive buildings and further improvements upon its property located in Harris County. That in order to carry on its construction, a great amount of heavy material is necessary and used, and under the present conditions, it is necessary that such materials be hauled by wagon over and upon the streets and roads of Harris County. That it is the desire of your petitioner to construct the a spur line of track or railroad from the line of the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railroad to the line of the property of your petitioner, where it is engaged in the erection of its buildings and improvements in this county, and for such purpose it is necessary that your petitioner be given the right or privilege to construct said spur line of railroad along and upon that certain County road, as follows:

The road extending from Richmond Road to the Northwest corner of the Rice Institute property as shown on the accompanying plat, which is part of that description.

Here's a map of it (1915):

20v10uv.jpg

• Like 1

Originally I had said, "Just FYI, the 'Richmond Road' referenced in this petition is not Richmond Avenue, it's the current Bissonnet Street."

But looking more closely at the map, I was wrong. Richmond "Road" on the map is the current Richmond Avenue, although there was a separate Richmond Road that later became Bissonnet.

Edited by Perimeter285
  • Like 1

In the photograph, I can see the faintest hint of a railroad dump. You would not suspect what it was without looking at the map first.

It is the final stretch of the spur that curves on past the power station and heads over to what---the main administration building?

• Like 1

I guess this is where it was, though it isn't clear in the picture at all (I didn't add the curvy part that goes directly behind the plant, and my line out may be too slanted, but I think there's a fair amount of distortion in the picture):

2qk0bwj.jpg

ip1oo4.jpg

• Like 1

I've tried cropping, lightening, and blowing up that part without too much distortion to try and see the tracks a little better. I see the horizontal part and I think I see some of the approaching tracks. I may be influenced somewhat by the map.

RicePP-1921.jpg

• Like 1

I remember discussing this topic on the railroad that paralleled US-59. From the photos it looks they were hardly used at all.

Back in the 1930s, TAMU (in College Station) had a campus spur but it was gone by the early 1940s. No trace of it remains at all. I guess it was the same for Rice, right?

• Like 1

I always thought the railroad spur to Rice was mainly used to facilitate construction on campus. I have never heard of coal being used by the power plant but it certainly could have been used early on. At one time Rice independently provided its own power and water but through the years they built too many buildings to be able to provide enough power and the county made them quit pumping their own water. There is still a large turbine generator at the central plant capable of supplying a lot of Rice with power and a pump to supply water but it's now only used in emergencies. Love seeing old pictures of when Rice was way out in the country. 

• Like 1

I always thought the railroad spur to Rice was mainly used to facilitate construction on campus. I have never heard of coal being used by the power plant but it certainly could have been used early on. At one time Rice independently provided its own power and water but through the years they built too many buildings to be able to provide enough power and the county made them quit pumping their own water. There is still a large turbine generator at the central plant capable of supplying a lot of Rice with power and a pump to supply water but it's now only used in emergencies. Love seeing old pictures of when Rice was way out in the country. 

I don't know if it's still there but HMNS used to have a Corliss steam engine that was used in the early days to generate power at Rice. Given that and the tall smokestack on the Power House, I can't imagine that they used anything but coal. Admittedly, the petition from President Lovett, quoted by sevfiv in post #2, speaks more to construction than to coal.

Edited by marmer
  • Like 1

This is speculation, but the fact that the map actually shows one track going directly to the power house would argue very strongly that it was used to deliver fuel. And while coal may have been used early on, many power plants in Texas were converted to oil fuel by the 1920s, which also could have been delivered by rail.

I like how the campus architects carefully designed the smokestack to look like a campanile. Lovely!

• Like 1

I found a photo in the Life photos in Google images which appears to show the turn of the spur to Rice. U.

http://images.google.com/hosted/life/f?q=HOUSTON+source:life&prev=/images%3Fq%3DHOUSTON%2Bsource:life%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Dactive&imgurl=7636d355e3c3a176

I am sorry but I don't think this picture shows the railroad. The picture is pointing just west of south at the Hermann Park statue and reflecting pool. The main Rice building is just barely visible at the far right side of the picture. The Power House and railroad would be much further to the right, outside of the picture.

• Like 1

I am sorry but I don't think this picture shows the railroad. The picture is pointing just west of south at the Hermann Park statue and reflecting pool. The main Rice building is just barely visible at the far right side of the picture. The Power House and railroad would be much further to the right, outside of the picture.

I agree. This track must have been for a trolley. Actually, it's not too far off from where the LRT is currently.

• Like 1

I agree. This track must have been for a trolley. Actually, it's not too far off from where the LRT is currently.

I am not sure that I see train tracks anywhere. There may be tracks just beyond to reflecting pool. They appear to go where the current kiddy train goes. I do see the oil derricks at Pierce Junction Oil field on the horizon, just to the left of the crease. There is a dark line just below, which looks like a train going to Pierce Junction.

• Like 1

I am not sure that I see train tracks anywhere. There may be tracks just beyond to reflecting pool. They appear to go where the current kiddy train goes. I do see the oil derricks at Pierce Junction Oil field on the horizon, just to the left of the crease. There is a dark line just below, which looks like a train going to Pierce Junction.

I'm pretty sure we're talking about the tracks at the bottom of the photo. I do see what appears to be an actual train on the horizon. I think that line runs along Almeda.

• Like 1

I believe the bldg. to the right in the photo (beautiful Life mag. shot) is the original Hermann Hospital Bldg, not a Rice Campus Bldg. Notice, it's a very wooded area.

On second thought, I may be wrong, I do recall an original Rice Campus - Spanish style bldg. that sits in that general area. Is it Lovett Hall?

It's one or the other.

One 1920 map I just referenced shows a train trolley track paralleling S. Main, turns at Bellaire, southern border of Rice Campus.

If you refer to the larger view of the topo. map provided by Sevfiv (post #2), you can see the S. Main track changing course slightly between the two circle figures at the Hermann Park entrance. I think this is the train track seen in the bottom of the Life picture. I veers a little crossing the roads, and straightens out again.

Edited by NenaE
  • Like 1

I believe the bldg. to the right in the photo (beautiful Life mag. shot) is the original Hermann Hospital Bldg, not a Rice Campus Bldg.  Notice, it's a very wooded area.

On second thought, I may be wrong, I do recall an original Rice Campus - Spanish style bldg. that sits in that general area. Is it Lovett Hall?

It's one or the other.

All buildings in the photos are Rice buildings. Don't think Herman Hospital was even built yet. 

• Like 1

Great pic, 57tbird...there's the trolley car. I love it! I toured the Hermann Hospital (old museum part) recently. It's beautiful.

Sorry, didn't make it to clear, I was looking at the "Life" magazine shot, post #17. I'm guessing 1950's it was probably taken.

• Like 1

The track at the bottom of the Life magazine photo (with the Sam Houston statue) was the Houston Electric streetcar line to Bellaire. This section of track was used by the Bellaire line until abandonment in 1927 and by the Rice Institute shuttle until 1929.

Yes, the current MetroRail line crosses Montrose Blvd at almost the exact same location. At the time of the photo Fannin Street had not yet been extended to that point.

• Like 1

And there is no doubt that the building at the far right side of the Life photo is Rice Univ. Lovett Hall.

END OF STORY

Compare the left side of this picture of Hermann with the part of the building shown in the Life photo. The Lovett Hall structure is not like that in the Life photo. Lovett would be further to the right and out of the Life picture.

HermannHosp-1925.jpg

• Like 1

Compare the left side of this picture of Hermann with the part of the building shown in the Life photo.  The Lovett Hall structure is not like that in the Life photo.  Lovett would be further to the right and out of the Life picture.

Yes. The camera is facing East, away from Rice in the Life photo. It's a great picture of Herman Park. 

• Like 1