Need some advice: Patio door

We have a 1963 ranch with a single, windowless door to the patio. I would like to replace it with a full-glass door. I want it to be energy efficient, but also solid in terms of security... I don't want anyone kicking or breaking this door in.

I really don't know where to start... what material door to get, where to get it, or who to have install it. Should I contact a professional door & window company?

Thanks for any advice. And feel free to PM me if you know any good people.

-Sarah

We have a 1963 ranch with a single, windowless door to the patio. I would like to replace it with a full-glass door. I want it to be energy efficient, but also solid in terms of security... I don't want anyone kicking or breaking this door in.

I really don't know where to start... what material door to get, where to get it, or who to have install it. Should I contact a professional door & window company?

Thanks for any advice. And feel free to PM me if you know any good people.

-Sarah

Get a double paned slider with blinds built in between the glass panels.

-Sarah

make sure and get the door frame beefed up then. if they want to get in, they will.

Thanks Musicman, I'll do that.

Pumapayam--I like the idea, esp. the built-in blinds. But I don't have room for a slider. It's just a single door.

We almost got that exact door... go to Lowe's... it's sold with the door frame.

Door was $250ish though... the one with built-in blinds.... a door guy will charge about $100-$150 to install it.

Archived