The Swinging Door BBQ Restaurant In Richmond

tcr98taws6

It's a great place that specializes in pecan-smoked BBQ. Limited menu, but it's all good. Especially good are the ribs. They have started serving dirty rice as one of the sides and that is a don't-miss dish. You may not like the sauce, so have them serve it on the side until you are sure. I like it, but it may be an acquired taste. They only have shows in the "dance hall" every once in a while now. Periodically they will have a comedy showcase and that's fun. The Swinging Door has been around for over 30 years and is an institution. Closed on Monday and Tuesday. The owner, Steve Onstad (no relation to the Randall's folks), is a character. Just look for the Hawaiian shirt.

• Like 1

Yeah, when we moved here three and a half years ago, several people raved about this place and highly recommended it. We've been 3-4 times, wishfully thinking that it might improve at some point, but we have always found the food to be mediocre at best, dismal at worst. Never been there for music - but I hatez teh country music....

• 2 weeks later...

LookingToMove,

I live in Katy above the Westpark Tollway. The Swinging Door is less than 10 minutes drive from my home using Hwy 723. I stated the place was in Richmond in my post, so what's your point? I live in Katy and asked Katy residents if they knew of the place.

Edited by tcr98taws6
  • Like 1

• The title was changed to The Swinging Door BBQ Joint In Richmond
  • 1 year later...

Pretty good review, circa 2015 from Texas Monthly.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/swinging-door-2015/

They'll be hitting 50 years next year it sounds like. 

While I'm partial to my family's BBQ place first and foremost - Swinging Door is up there, both in personal preference and location. There was a period in the late 90s when I'd get loaded potatoes from there often enough and they still remain some of my favorites to this day. 

• The title was changed to The Swinging Door BBQ Restaurant In Richmond
  • 3 months later...

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2023/04/30/the-swinging-door-in-richmond-closing-after-50-years/

"“Being a huge part Fort Bend County the past 50 years I want to give a big THANK YOU to all of our wonderful customers, customers that became friends, friends that became family and especially all my employees throughout the years that created the backbone of this establishment,” Onstad said. “It has been a honor to be a part of the last 50 years of memories. We have been blessed to have been of service to this area. However, this old BBQ guy has decided to move on to another chapter in life, that being said Swinging Door is closing its doors. We do not have an exact date yet but within the next few weeks.”"

• Like 1

On 9/22/2022 at 8:21 AM, ChannelTwoNews said:

Pretty good review, circa 2015 from Texas Monthly.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/swinging-door-2015/

They'll be hitting 50 years next year it sounds like. 

While I'm partial to my family's BBQ place first and foremost - Swinging Door is up there, both in personal preference and location. There was a period in the late 90s when I'd get loaded potatoes from there often enough and they still remain some of my favorites to this day. 

Which is your family BBQ place?   Is it around Rosenberg/Richmond?

8 hours ago, ChannelTwoNews said:

Galvan's Sausage House on 90 and Pitts Road. They also own the firewood / bbq pit place next door.

I used to eat at Galvan's occasionally when I still worked in Sugar Land. As an unbiased observer, I'd have to agree with you that Galvan's BBQ is better than Swinging Door, and I like Swinging Door. 

• Like 1

Know exactly where they are.    They are just on the opposite side of Richmond/Rosenberg from us.   So we never get over there-  we're too lazy to fight all the stoplights.   

Next time we are trying to figure out what to eat - we'll make it a point to go there.    Always looking for good BBQ.  

• Like 1