Tropical Storm Ana - 2009

editor

<iframe src ="http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/HAI/Weather/Stormpulse/2009-02.html" width="1030" height="600">

<p>Your browser does not support iframes.</p>

</iframe>

Powered by hurricane-tracking software from Stormpulse.com.

I know this storm isn't going anywhere near Houston yet, but I thought I'd test out the new partnership we have with Stormpulse.

You can use the interactive map above to look at the storm and where it's been, along with multiple projections of where it's going.

Each time we have a thread for a storm this season, I'll embed one of these maps at the top of the thread highlighting that storm. They are continually updated to reflect current conditions of each storm.

Sorry that the map is so wide. There's not a thing I can do about that.

Thumbs up on direct stormpulse link... that website rocks.

I like it too, but hope they find away to make it a forum friendly size without the extra stretching of the posts. Must be tricky with the resolution already being set.

No but its a wave out there thats forecasted to become a hurricane and hit somewhere along the gulf coast.

Still no tropical storms/hurricanes yet and it's mid August now.

Shocking.

If this trend continue through the end of August, I will start believing in the tooth fairy again.

Shocking.

If this trend continue through the end of August, I will start believing in the tooth fairy again.

You won't believe in the tooth fairy again. In about a couple a days or a week, I bet there will be a named storm.

at200990_model.gif

Shocking.

speak of the devil, Say Hello To Tropical Storm Ana.

MIAMI — Tropical Storm Ana has formed over the Atlantic and could strengthen as it heads toward the Leeward Islands, forecasters said Saturday.

The National Hurricane Center in Miami said Ana could trigger a tropical storm watch for parts of the Leeward Islands later Saturday. It may pick up speed and approach the islands by Monday, the hurricane center said. It was 1,010 miles east of the islands early Saturday.

Ana, the first named storm of the Atlantic season, could slowly strengthen in the next couple of days as it moves to the west at 16 mph. Maximum sustained winds are near 40 mph.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nation/6573785.html

And the Hurricane Center's website

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

The guy on The Weather Channel (I'm sure channeling someone else) said that Ana should become a minimal hurricane by Thursday.

He also said that the computers are going nuts for TD#3.

Yes and other say it will remain a TS, as it will pass through some mountainous terrain. Just one factor, i recall.

What i dislike, is how initial models pointed this towards Florida, yet now it seems to head to the Gulf. Oh well, you can't expect a prediction to be correct, or even accurate, nowadays.

if it heads to the Gulf, let it land in Texas, we need the rain, just as long as it stays a TS.

Yes and other say it will remain a TS, as it will pass through some mountainous terrain. Just one factor, i recall.

What i dislike, is how initial models pointed this towards Florida, yet now it seems to head to the Gulf. Oh well, you can't expect a prediction to be correct, or even accurate, nowadays.

if it heads to the Gulf, let it land in Texas, we need the rain, just as long as it stays a TS.

Computer models can change track, once every 4(?) hours they are updated. Some may have the same track while others can change. Less than 30% of depressions, TS, or Hurricanes move out of the 'Cone of uncertainy'.

Once a TS or Hurricane moves into the Gulf, they have a higher chance of strengthening. There are no land masses inside the Gulf and the water is pretty warm. If another Ike or Rita event happens, I will be devastated and we will move back to CA.

Almost all of the forecast models (click "Forecast Models" in the graphic at the top of this thread) have Ana going into the Gulf. Fortunately, even 117 hours from now it's projected to remain a tropical storm.

Computer models can change track, once every 4(?) hours they are updated. Some may have the same track while others can change. Less than 30% of depressions, TS, or Hurricanes move out of the 'Cone of uncertainy'.

Once a TS or Hurricane moves into the Gulf, they have a higher chance of strengthening. There are no land masses inside the Gulf and the water is pretty warm. If another Ike or Rita event happens, I will be devastated and we will move back to CA.

Yes, but the NHC has Ana entering the gulf as a depression, so the question is how much will Ana strengthen? My guess is it will just go back to being a TS.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived