South End Water Works At 5826 Caroline St.

• 13 years later...

I was reading a City of Houston 1928 map and noticed South End Water Works just outside of Hermann Park.

Anyone know what this was about?

Index map for Bracey’s Block Book of Houston. 

The city map of Houston including the now annexed Houston Heights, is overlaid with squares corresponding to page numbers in the block book.  The map contains basic information including streets, railroads, public facilities and schools.  Of interest are the Rice Institute and George Herman Park.  Greater detail is on the individual block pages. 

OZIl5w3.png

owKujlM.png

• Thanks 1

Very interesting. It appears the old South End Water Works were on the site now occupied by the Museum of Natural Science. I'm not very surprised because as we all know, Houston doesn't allow anything to get very old, which means almost everything that now exists in Houston is built over something that used to be there. 

Edited by FilioScotia
  • Like 1

On 12/6/2022 at 9:04 PM, FilioScotia said:

Very interesting. It appears the old South End Water Works were on the site now occupied by the Museum of Natural Science. I'm not very surprised because as we all know, Houston doesn't allow anything to get very old, which means almost everything that now exists in Houston is built over something that used to be there. 

I'm pretty sure there's a bit of the old infrastructure still visible there.

I remember walking past and seeing some kind of pipe or a pump house or something, and there's a plaque explaining it.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to South End Water Works At 5826 Caroline St.
  • The title was changed to South End Water Works At 5826 Caroline St.