The Rep Issue

Random

You people need to pull your heads out of your asses. I love this city, but If you don't think Houston has image issues, you're living a fantasy world.

I realized HAIF was full boosters and homers, but Christ.

HA! Talk about an about face! Here's your quote from your first post...

Bottom line, I think Houston needs to work on improving its reputation with its own citizens before it starts trying to impress the world.

So, which is it? I thought you were impressed with other cities' citizens defending their turf? Now, you're crying that we're proud of ours?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HA! Talk about an about face! Here's your quote from your first post...

So, which is it? I thought you were impressed with other cities' citizens defending their turf? Now, you're crying that we're proud of ours?

Pride is one thing, shameless homerism is another. It's like the difference between patriotism and nationalism.

Pride is one thing, shameless homerism is another. It's like the difference between patriotism and nationalism.

The same can be said for hypocrisy.

Speaking of shameless homerism, I have 6 posts on this thread. Please look through them and point out the homer posts. There is a quote button at the top of the reply page.

I'm confused... Where do you find any "Homerisms" in any of the quotes in this thread. There is nothing here that boosts Houston other than the fact that most don't care (at least for the most part) what some goofy biased publication says about the city. Look at it this way... Via your thread your finding out what the culture of the city is, and that's a city that is comfortable in it's own skin. That's Houston.

How about instead of complaining about the citizens of Houston and its MSA not knowing the city they live in and its hot-spots, you actually do something about it.

Instead of telling us about your co-workers lack of Houston knowledge, tell us about how you took him/her to Montrose or the Museum District.

Do something about it, because you think people are not aware of what the 4th Largest City in the US can offer.

Stating your opinion, accomplishes nothing, except,maybe irritate a couple HAIF'ers.

Now that you've pointed out the "alleged" problem, the next step would be to fix it. Tell all your friends about Houston.

Their will always be people who truly think their city has nothing to offer, that LA is a sprawling mess, that NYC is just a concrete jungle, that Houston is a mosquito-infested, hot swamp.

And i think this is just an issue, im sure at least half of Houston knows the world-class city it is. Why else would it still be growing, and people relocating here.

Perhaps we will all have to learn to agree to disagree (with me), but I stand by what I've said:

Great City - World Class. Many citizens remain oblivious to this.

You all are lucky to be around such enlightened people.

To a point I somewhat agree with Random. There are a lot of suburbanites out there that just drive the freeways everyday to go to and fro from their jobs and think everything off the freeway is riddled with crime, and I am ashamed to talk to people that are so close-minded.

But there are a lot that also know how great this city is, especially when you start going in closer to town with people that actually experience Houston for what it is.

BTW, the average citizen of Austin makes me hate that city. HTH.

I just got back from visiting briefly with some friends and their friends in Austin. I concur. That city is rife with self-absorbed preppy brats festooned in mass-produced 'counterculture' and 'irony' manufactured in Malaysia and then marketed and sold to them by Banana Republic, a subsidiary of Gap, Inc.

At one point they (got high and) were browsing the internet for absurd photos with purportedly-funny captions and by chance came across a series of photos depicting fictional things that happen when you divide a number by zero; one of them was an image of the Inversion house that was on Montrose. They thought it was photoshopped and were unwilling to believe me at first when I explained that it was public art in Houston. We ended up having to Google it.

What makes the opinion leaders within Houston cool is that we decide to do things because we want to, not because we think that it's what others would like for us to do. As individuals, we engage in an unabashed pursuit of epicurian hedonism and yet maintain relative tolerance to others doing the same.

These are generalities, of course. I do not claim that they apply to all residents of either city, categorically.

To a point I somewhat agree with Random. There are a lot of suburbanites out there that just drive the freeways everyday to go to and fro from their jobs and think everything off the freeway is riddled with crime, and I am ashamed to talk to people that are so close-minded.

But there are a lot that also know how great this city is, especially when you start going in closer to town with people that actually experience Houston for what it is.

I sympathize. I've had co-workers that have had a terribly negative view of Houston because they lived, worked, shopped in the same neighborhood and only ever experienced other parts of Houston by way of a freeway en route to a specific destination. Self-imposed ignorance does not impress me, however I recognize that it exists and is fairly common...and we may be able to choose our friends, but we can't usually choose our co-workers (especially on the basis of something so unrelated to workplace productivity as this).

Along similar lines, I've got family members who live in Galveston County, and they use "downtown Houston" to describe a larger area than it actually is. That's fine. It works for them. People (of that generation, and the issue being debated is--I believe--more colored by generational experiences than geographic, educational, or matters of personal intellect) that they know understand what they mean. Communication is successful. That doesn't mean that they don't know their way around the key features of the inner city when they need to go there.

I just got back from visiting briefly with some friends and their friends in Austin. I concur. That city is rife with self-absorbed preppy brats festooned in mass-produced 'counterculture' and 'irony' manufactured in Malaysia and then marketed and sold to them by Banana Republic, a subsidiary of Gap, Inc.
I don’t really agree with that statement, Niche, because I think most Austinites (Austonians?) are just good-natured, everyday people. The ones you hear about are in the minority, but get all the Press.

Due in large part to Austin being a huge college town (young Liberals), and by the actions of some who appear to be just to the Left of Michael Moore, the vocal minority comes across as the predominant view. And I don’t think that’s the case at all.

But I do agree that many there want to project an image of weirdness of their city. But, just like many braggadocios Texans do regarding Texas, I think it is done tongue-in-cheek for the most part.

And that may be at the root of what this post is about – just what image does Houston and Houstonians try to project? To be honest, I can’t think of one. How can you put the “Spirit of Houston” into words? It’s almost palpable enough to touch, and taste. But how do you describe it in words?

But then, as others have alluded to, do we really need an image? Who do Houstonians need to convince?

I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard someone brag about “how great it is ‘back home’ “, wherever ‘back home’ was. And when asked why there are here instead of ‘back home’, the reply nearly always was, “Because I can make a living here.”

I don’t really agree with that statement, Niche, because I think most Austinites (Austonians?) are just good-natured, everyday people. The ones you hear about are in the minority, but get all the Press.

Yeah, I did put in the disclaimer about generalization. I agree with you about most folks (whether living in the Austin metro area or Houston, or wherever) are pretty innocuous. But each city has a dominant subculture to it that seems to attract or repel domestic immigrants and self-reinforce its cultural standing.

Actually, the ones who get under my skin are the Tahoe and BMW X5 driving suburban McMansion living conservatives who put on like they are special because they "found" Austin, but if the liberals offend you H2B, I certainly defend your right to be offended. Austin did not triple in size because of a liberal breeding program. It grew exponentially during the 90s and 00s due to migration of Dallas and Houston suburbanites to Austin's suburbs. As such, Austin is now no better or worse than Houston or Dallas. But, you wouldn't know that to listen to these people.

One good thing about Austin is that it attracts these types so that they no longer live amongst us. No less than 3 annoying acquaintances of mine have moved to Austin in the last 2 years. Other than occasionally hearing from them how much better Austin's 100 degree drought is than Houston's, it has been great. Hopefully, the poor economy does not impede the migration of "enlightened" people to the promised land.

Houstonians have reinforced the national media's contrived bad rep, deservedly so.

A wise man once said that ignorant people are to be ignored, therefore this topic can only aim so high as to be a pissing contest for the forum addicted.

Red, it’s not Liberals that offend me, mainly because I are one. It’s the Ultra Left Wing radicals that I oppose. These are the ones who shout down any speaker that dares have a different opinion than they do.

Now, the irony of that is what happened just recently in Bastrop. Lloyd Doggett addressed a Town Hall meeting here back on Aug 1. According to a few local newspaper editorials this weekend, a group of “Tea Party thugs forced their way into the meeting and began shouting down Doggett.

There was also a suggestion that the same thing happened in Austin sometime prior to the Bastrop “melee”. Now, I think it’s wrong to prevent a person the right to exercise his Free Speech, no matter what their political views. But the Left needs to clean their own glass houses before throwing stones.

Actually, the ones who get under my skin are the Tahoe and BMW X5 driving suburban McMansion living conservatives who put on like they are special because they "found" Austin, but if the liberals offend you H2B, I certainly defend your right to be offended. Austin did not triple in size because of a liberal breeding program. It grew exponentially during the 90s and 00s due to migration of Dallas and Houston suburbanites to Austin's suburbs. As such, Austin is now no better or worse than Houston or Dallas. But, you wouldn't know that to listen to these people.

One good thing about Austin is that it attracts these types so that they no longer live amongst us. No less than 3 annoying acquaintances of mine have moved to Austin in the last 2 years. Other than occasionally hearing from them how much better Austin's 100 degree drought is than Houston's, it has been great. Hopefully, the poor economy does not impede the migration of "enlightened" people to the promised land.

Oh come on! You just have to disregard the facts that the food isn't nearly as good, the temperature is hotter, the traffic is slower-moving and far more aggravating, the museums are worse, 6th Street is a tourist trap, the single inconvenient airport that isn't a hub, and the real estate that is far more expensive.

It's been decided that Austin is cool, so nothing else matters. Even Outsider magazine agrees, and they looked up a bunch of fun facts to verify their claims. Don't ever dispute the common wisdom of pretentious trendiness!

Oh come on! You just have to disregard the facts that the food isn't nearly as good, the temperature is hotter, the traffic is slower-moving and far more aggravating, the museums are worse, 6th Street is a tourist trap, the single inconvenient airport that isn't a hub, and the real estate that is far more expensive.

It's been decided that Austin is cool, so nothing else matters. Even Outsider magazine agrees, and they looked up a bunch of fun facts to verify their claims. Don't ever dispute the common wisdom of pretentious trendiness!

Sorry, my bad. Must have been my jealous inner Aggie speaking.

Speaking of Outside Magazine, it seems we are not the first to puke at one of its lists...

http://www.getoutdoors.com/goblog/index.php?/archives/3266-Its-Confirmed,-Larry-Burke-Is-A-Turd,-Outside-Magazine-In-Bad-Shape.html

For years we've ragged on Outside for it's decline into Maxim Magaziness and Forbeslistination. It ceased being a quality magazine long ago as Burke milked the cash cow dry. No offense to the hard working staff over there, our beef was never with them. Larry Burke, on the other hand, guy's an ass and has destroyed one of the finest outdoor magazines around.

Whoa! Isn't that what we have been smack talking for the last couple of days. But wait! There's more...

Outside Magazine publisher lives in 20,000 sf home

Seems like turning Outside Magazine into the Maxim of the Outdoors is paying off. Sweet jesus, was it that long ago that John Krakauer and Sebastian Junger were writing for the magazine? Now, if you ever pick up a copy, and believe me I think my subsribtion lapsed in 2000, you'll be subjected to Maxim caliber articles with titles like Babes on Belay or Adventure Godesses. Why do I get the feeling that Larry wears a bolero and snake skin cowboy boots and the closest he's come to Half Dome is the dining room in the Ahwahnee? Compare Larry's palatial digs to Yvon Chouinard's (Patagonia's founder and one of the original Camp V dirtbags) house, built completely out recycled materials and weighing in at a dainty 1,340 sq. ft.

Knowing that by actually looking for this until-now-unheard-of magazine and clicking on its web link, I have inadvertantly put a couple of extra pennies toward his electric bill, I am from this point forward never linking on an Outside Magazine link again. This clown is not an outdoorsman. He's a friggin' fraud! Austin DESERVES to be on one of his lists!

That's an awfully broad brushstroke. The "WORST," based on a few anecdotes? I doubt it's any different here than any other large American city. There are the people who love it, and love showing off their town, and then there's the vast majority of folks who are just living their lives. No, most probably don't care if an Austin or California or New York transplant thinks Montrose is cool. But I think most do care about their town and their quality of life. That's not same thing as wanting to be popular, though. Me personally, I love my hometown in all its sweaty, sprawly glory, but I don't give a rat's ass what anyone else thinks. Some people see a disconnect in that attitude, but I don't.

I think you're right on crunch. Most people do "just live" in their city and don't really care about popularity.

there are just too many unknowns in each person's life which determines why they like to do certain things. some prefer to live in an area where schools are superior, some prefer to live closer to work, some prefer to live in areas where they don't have to deal with club patrons urinating in their yard, some prefer to live where they can be assured they won't come home to a homeless person lying on their porch, etc. ultimately and most importantly, what one person considers hip, isn't hip to another. I could go on a rant about the food in Austin but i'll try and keep it civilized.

so we're different colors and we're different creeds and different people have different needs Martin Gore

great point music man. Maybe we should focus on things we know the majority wants (low crime, good health care, good education etc) and let the rest be.

You don't have a clue, pal! I know of plenty of people in that age group that absolutely love it here. There are also plenty of people who appreciate this city. I am one of them. I think you are gathering info from individuals who have moved here and straight to the burbs. Individuals who do not explore and embrace the great things of this city.

I don't understand why his personal stories don't count but others do?

I would have written another response earlier, but I've been at Summerfest.

Some of you have taken what I've said personally. It really confuses me. All I've tried to say is that many Houstonians don't appreciate the city the way the rest of us do. Don't think its true? If it wasn't, then "Houston It's Worth it" wouldn't be necessary. Think about that. How many other major American cities need to convince their citizens that "It's Worth it"?

And I don't need anyone's acceptance. But also, I don't think wanting people to respect our city for its cultural and entertainment offerings is selling out or superficial.

And all this Austin bashing is ridiculous and smacks of insecurity. Austin does certain things right, and Houston does things right. Ranting and raving against another city is thousand dollarsing stupid.

Some of you have taken what I've said personally. It really confuses me. All I've tried to say is that many Houstonians don't appreciate the city the way the rest of us do. Don't think its true? If it wasn't, then "Houston It's Worth it" wouldn't be necessary. Think about that. How many other major American cities need to convince their citizens that "It's Worth it"?

And I don't need anyone's acceptance. But also, I don't think wanting people to respect our city for its cultural and entertainment offerings is selling out or superficial.

And all this Austin bashing is ridiculous and smacks of insecurity. Austin does certain things right, and Houston does things right. Ranting and raving against another city is thousand dollarsing stupid.

The answer are contained...sometimes forcefully...within the other posts on the thread. You took one suburban resident's ignorance and projected it onto the entire population. To make things worse, you did it on a forum full of people who REALLY DO understand Houston and what makes it special, and then expected us all to agree with your statement that we do not know what makes the city great, and that we do not tell anyone. Then, to top it off, you insisted that what uninformed and snotty outsiders thinks of us and our city actually matters.

It really shouldn't be that hard to figure out. Those of us that love this city don't get too upset that the slaves to hip and trendy do not think of us when they think of hip and trendy. We rather enjoy it. And we REALLY enjoy the freedom that comes with our lack of concern. Maybe you should try it.

I have to say the "Houston It's Worth It" slogan/title IS pretty lame.

Archived