Outside magazine hates on Houston

crunchtastic

Real bike lanes for a start. Many other cities will designate a section of the right side of the road as bikes only.

Interesting concept. Maybe the City could just designate those sections on Heights, 14th, 20th, Pecore, Washington, Antoine, Wirt, Kempwood, Fountainview, 43rd, Pinemont, Briar Forest, Richmond, and other streets that have those big white lines and drawings of bicycles on them as bike lanes. Problem solved!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps you could start by asking the city of Houston exactly what they consider a "bike way", because I have to agree, H town is not a very bike friendly place despite their over-blown numbers.  

Their map seems pretty self-explanatory.

http://documents.publicworks.houstontx.gov/documents/divisions/planning/bikeway/bikeways_map_network.pdf

Let me know if you need help with the legend.

Real bike lanes for a start. Many other cities will designate a section of the right side of the road as bikes only.

I have one of those running right through the middle of my neighborhood on Polk St., all the way into downtown. I have friends in Austin, and the only bike paths they have go in circles around their subdivisions.

Do you mean like this one?

hstn_bikelane_1_sm.jpg

Or like the ones that run for miles along Richmond, Briar Forest, and Kirkwood in west Houston not to mention much of the rest of the city, inside and outside the loop?

Perhaps you could start by asking the city of Houston exactly what they consider a "bike way", because I have to agree, H town is not a very bike friendly place despite their over-blown numbers.

OK. I keep asking for concrete examples of how other cities are "decades" ahead of Houston in bike-friendliness and so far I'm not seeing anything.

Once again, is there anyone out there who has actually ridden in other cities and can tell me how we are decades behind? Seriously, I really want to know if there is something we can do to dramatically improve bike-friendliness here. I'm just not so sure places like LA, Chicago, NYC and Dallas are so far ahead that it will take decades to catch up. Prove me wrong.

OK. I keep asking for concrete examples of how other cities are "decades" ahead of Houston in bike-friendliness and so far I'm not seeing anything.

Once again, is there anyone out there who has actually ridden in other cities and can tell me how we are decades behind? Seriously, I really want to know if there is something we can do to dramatically improve bike-friendliness here. I'm just not so sure places like LA, Chicago, NYC and Dallas are so far ahead that it will take decades to catch up. Prove me wrong.

I don't think you'll get anyone to bite on that. In spite of the quickness of some to badmouth anything Houston does, it turns out that Houston received Honorable Mention for its bikeway efforts from the League of American Bicyclists, a bicycle advocacy group, Austin actually did receive a Silver Medal from the group. No other Texas city is mentioned. For that matter, neither is Los Angeles or ATLANTA, one of Outside magazine's winners. So, the bicycle experts find Houston's bikeway system to be better than one of the magazine's winners, but the magazine feels the need to single Houston out.

Back to Houston, the Bikeway Coordinator is updating the Bikeway master plan for another round of improved bike access. Even though most do not know about it...and therefore assume that nothing is being done...it is in the works.

i am so confused at why people are having problems riding bikes. i've skated from downtown out to at least 610 on the north, south, east and west. now the roads aren't as great, but i can still ride my bike from gulfgate to downtown in 40 mins and anywhere else just as easily. i'm still not sure why riding in a bike lane is required. i've had absolutely no problems making it anywhere within the loop. what's even more amazing is that if i do get bored, i can put my bike on the bus bike rack and just head home.

it's really quite scary that people are still ignorant of the street configuration in houston. i'm now having a flash back to 1997 and i'm skating from downtown to UH on the pierce elevated. is a bike lane required or am i having fun?

i am so confused at why people are having problems riding bikes. i've skated from downtown out to at least 610 on the north, south, east and west. now the roads aren't as great, but i can still ride my bike from gulfgate to downtown in 40 mins and anywhere else just as easily. i'm still not sure why riding in a bike lane is required. i've had absolutely no problems making it anywhere within the loop. what's even more amazing is that if i do get bored, i can put my bike on the bus bike rack and just head home.

it's really quite scary that people are still ignorant of the street configuration in houston. i'm now having a flash back to 1997 and i'm skating from downtown to UH on the pierce elevated. is a bike lane required or am i having fun?

it's different now, musicman. helmets and stuff. Speaking of bikes we need to get together--I want to ride around down around forest hill/mason park and see what's going on with the new trails.

it's different now, musicman. helmets and stuff. Speaking of bikes we need to get together--I want to ride around down around forest hill/mason park and see what's going on with the new trails.

let's do it......lemon balm martini is always free at da crib. speaking of that...let me go chill a cocktail glass.

That Outside Magazine idiocy takes the cake.

They factor in cost of living, economy in their rankings and yet Houston somehow is on their hate list in the big picture.

Stupid, stupid. They condescend to remark about our nice barbecue...when actually it's our ethnic food that shines out more than anything these days. Shows how much they know about Houston.

When it's "flat", Houston gets singled out but not Chicago or NY or Miami.

When it's "bad weather", Houston gets singled out but not those MISERABLE Chicago winters (which I grew up with). And those incessant gloomy Seattle overcasts. And the lack of thunderstorms of any sort in San Diego...I considered that "bad weather" during my time there!

Living in Westchase, there are numerous opportunities for biking. I have a bicycle and ride on some occasions. Those sidewalks along the business parks, the driveways and such actually make for an excellent cycling endeavor.

Ranchester, Briarpark, Westheimer, Meadowglen, Gessner...it is SOOOO EASY to create a bike route.

Do these anal types have to have these lanes marked "BIKE PATH?" Do these Outdoor Idiots need nature ways lined with grapevines in all directions that lead to a Whole Foods Store?

I could easily bike along the sidewalks returning my movies to the Blockbuster at Gessner/Bellaire if I wanted.

Their map seems pretty self-explanatory.

http://documents.pub...map_network.pdf

Let me know if you need help with the legend.

Saw the map, read the legends but still don't grasp the bike ways. Bike lanes are self explanatory. The more prominent red lines indicate "signed routes/shared lanes". According to the map these routes are designated for bicycle OR motor vehicle use. Does just sticking up a sign on a road turn it into a bike way? It says there are special pavement markings but I've been down some of those streets and never noticed any. They definitely are not striped bike lanes. Except for the signs which motorist don't seem to be concerned with, they don't appear any different from any other street. 

Saw the map, read the legends but still don't grasp the bike ways. Bike lanes are self explanatory. The more prominent red lines indicate "signed routes/shared lanes". According to the map these routes are designated for bicycle OR motor vehicle use. Does just sticking up a sign on a road turn it into a bike way? It says there are special pavement markings but I've been down some of those streets and never noticed any. They definitely are not striped bike lanes. Except for the signs which motorist don't seem to be concerned with, they don't appear any different from any other street. 

That's what a US bikeway system looks like, chief. A few dedicated lanes, often on abandoned railroad ROWs, LOTS of striped lanes in the road, and even more shared lanes with signage to warn motorists of cyclists. Even award winning Seattle and Portland that the magazine was fawning over looks like this. If you want a real bicycle transportation system, you'll have to go to Europe. BTW, do not discount the signs warning of shared lanes. Remember the vitriol expressed in the other bicycle thread about cyclists needing to get out of the way? A large percentage of the driving public believes that cyclists should be on the sidewalk. Those signs do a great service in reminding the ignorant public that the cyclists belong there. And, remember that those signs are STILL more than most US cities do for their cycling citizens.

That's what a US bikeway system looks like, chief.  A few dedicated lanes, often on abandoned railroad ROWs, LOTS of striped lanes in the road, and even more shared lanes with signage to warn motorists of cyclists.  Even award winning Seattle and Portland that the magazine was fawning over looks like this.  If you want a real bicycle transportation system, you'll have to go to Europe.  BTW, do not discount the signs warning of shared lanes.  Remember the vitriol expressed in the other bicycle thread about cyclists needing to get out of the way?  A large percentage of the driving public believes that cyclists should be on the sidewalk.  Those signs do a great service in reminding the ignorant public that the cyclists belong there.  And, remember that those signs are STILL more than most US cities do for their cycling citizens.

I guess I'm just looking for more than a "shared" lane. Not trying to compare Houston to other cities because I have no idea what other cities are like. Just seems by the map that Houston is being pretty generous with it's bike ways. Signs or not, I wouldn't feel very safe on some of those roads. But that says more about Houston drivers than our bike routes. 

I guess I'm just looking for more than a "shared" lane. Not trying to compare Houston to other cities because I have no idea what other cities are like. Just seems by the map that Houston is being pretty generous with it's bike ways. Signs or not, I wouldn't feel very safe on some of those roads. But that says more about Houston drivers than our bike routes. 

No disagreement there at all. I think the separated lanes should be a goal on major thoroughfares, with painted lanes on lesser roads, and one day I think we will get them. But, on the miniscule budget that the Bikeway coordinator probably has, the signage is a start toward getting motorists to share the road. Remember, the US (not just Houston) went through 3 decades of eschewing any transportation options other than single occupant motor vehicles. We have a lot of ground to make up, and a lot of attitudes to change. While Houston certainly does not have a stellar bike transportation system, it is worlds better than it was, and better than a lame 600,000 circulation magazine's opinion of it.

I do like how NYC is doing their new separated bike lanes.

New York City Bike Paths

I do too. Does anyone remember how the bike lanes were implemented in Houston a few years back? All they did was re-stripe the roads. No wonder the drivers are/were so upset -- they got smaller lanes and some guy on a bike bouncing around in the gutter a few inches away from them.

So in addition to implementing more parks (which is useful to interrupt the conception of our city as a giant NASCAR track, and makes it more amenable to biking) I think a lot of the roads should be re-paved. Also, since people like stats we should come up with our own metric for our bicycle system. For example, a bicyclist inside the loop should at all times be no more than X yards or an Xth of a mile (the smaller the better) from a dedicated, physically separated bikeway or a park that has a bike trail or a LRT stop. This way bicyclists can pedal around and minimize having to slug it out with the traffic.

Also I am interested to know how pedestrians/bicyclists stand in terms of right of way. I think there are other cities where pedestrians/bicyclists automatically have the right of way.

I do too. Does anyone remember how the bike lanes were implemented in Houston a few years back? All they did was re-stripe the roads. No wonder the drivers are/were so upset -- they got smaller lanes and some guy on a bike bouncing around in the gutter a few inches away from them.

So in addition to implementing more parks (which is useful to interrupt the conception of our city as a giant NASCAR track, and makes it more amenable to biking) I think a lot of the roads should be re-paved. Also, since people like stats we should come up with our own metric for our bicycle system. For example, a bicyclist inside the loop should at all times be no more than X yards or an Xth of a mile (the smaller the better) from a dedicated, physically separated bikeway or a park that has a bike trail or a LRT stop. This way bicyclists can pedal around and minimize having to slug it out with the traffic.

Also I am interested to know how pedestrians/bicyclists stand in terms of right of way. I think there are other cities where pedestrians/bicyclists automatically have the right of way.

I believe under Texas law a bicycle is considered a vehicle for traffic purposes. In other words, a car and a bicycle are the same when it comes to right of way and traffic signals.

That's what a US bikeway system looks like, chief. A few dedicated lanes, often on abandoned railroad ROWs, LOTS of striped lanes in the road, and even more shared lanes with signage to warn motorists of cyclists. Even award winning Seattle and Portland that the magazine was fawning over looks like this. If you want a real bicycle transportation system, you'll have to go to Europe. BTW, do not discount the signs warning of shared lanes. Remember the vitriol expressed in the other bicycle thread about cyclists needing to get out of the way? A large percentage of the driving public believes that cyclists should be on the sidewalk. Those signs do a great service in reminding the ignorant public that the cyclists belong there. And, remember that those signs are STILL more than most US cities do for their cycling citizens.

Good point that the signs serve to remind drivers to share the road. I've always just thought of them as a way to guide cyclists through unfamiliar neighborhoods so they can connect to other bike lanes and trails.

Before you add up of those miles-and-miles of Houston bike lanes you need to subtract the ones that are unridable. Like this one on Morningside...

gallery_6478_124_196890.jpg

The sub-roadbed's actually collapsed in numerous spots between Main and Rice Village. Looks like the city got tired of doing maintenance on it, so they gave up and turned it into a bike lane. The bike lane on Weslyan also comes to mind as dangerously narrow and too rough to ride with any rapidity. That isn't to say that HOUTX doesnt' have some nicely constructed and executed bike lanes. The ones on 12th that link up to Post Oak then Memorial are excellent. Unforutnately it's illegal to ride on Memorial just a few miles west of the tie-in, so I'm not quite sure their purpose. To be fair, just about all of the goofiest lanes pre-date the current bikeways coordinator who's working very hard to secure improvements. This one actually *gasp* rides a bike.

What makes HOUTX so unbikable are the lack of complete routes. For example, there is no thru-route from Downtown to the Energy Corridor via bike lanes. That would be a reasonable commute, but there's no good way to do it without taking a very tortuous route, or being forced to navigate over-crowded streets. Again this isn't entirely the City of Houston's fault, as the Memorial Villages forbid bikes on the road.

Good point that the signs serve to remind drivers to share the road.

Works great on Heights Blvd.rolleyes.gif

What makes HOUTX so unbikable are the lack of complete routes. For example, there is no thru-route from Downtown to the Energy Corridor via bike lanes. That would be a reasonable commute, but there's no good way to do it without taking a very tortuous route, or being forced to navigate over-crowded streets.

Downtown to the Energy Corridor would be a reasonable commute by bike!? :blink: If you're going that far, why not just use the new bike racks on METRO buses?

Downtown to the Energy Corridor would be a reasonable commute by bike!? blink.gif If you're going that far, why not just use the new bike racks on METRO buses?

Ya! It's only about 17 miles. That's about an an hour, maybe hour+15. Figure waiting 20min for a bus to turn up at the pickup point and 20min at a transfer point and the bike is competitive.

Ya! It's only about 17 miles. That's about an an hour, maybe hour+15. Figure waiting 20min for a bus to turn up at the pickup point and 20min at a transfer point and the bike is competitive.

Hopefully your BO smells like peppermint and the road grime smells like honey. Seriously, if the bus is competitive in terms of time, then wouldn't you rather have the opportunity to sit down and let someone else drive?

Of course, they conveniently disregard the hot weather in Austin and Atlanta.

Wait, I thought we had the market cornered on heat and sprawl.

For as poor as our bicycling infrastructure may be I sure see a lot of people riding.

Before you add up of those miles-and-miles of Houston bike lanes you need to subtract the ones that are unridable. Like this one on Morningside...

My point exactly. Working in that area you described I found some of those suggested bike routes a little daunting. Kind of like, “you want me to ride my bike there?

My point exactly. Working in that area you described I found some of those suggested bike routes a little daunting. Kind of like, “you want me to ride my bike there?

Ive skated through there for at least a decade and have seen the street deteriorate but it really is a good path through the neighborhood esp with crowded streets parallel. Daunting is not a word I'd use to describe it. It's usually not that busy either so it is likely you'll be on the stable portion more often than not.

gallery_6478_124_196890.jpg

The sub-roadbed's actually collapsed in numerous spots between Main and Rice Village. Looks like the city got tired of doing maintenance on it, so they gave up and turned it into a bike lane. The bike lane on Weslyan also comes to mind as dangerously narrow and too rough to ride with any rapidity. That isn't to say that HOUTX doesnt' have some nicely constructed and executed bike lanes. The ones on 12th that link up to Post Oak then Memorial are excellent. Unforutnately it's illegal to ride on Memorial just a few miles west of the tie-in, so I'm not quite sure their purpose. To be fair, just about all of the goofiest lanes pre-date the current bikeways coordinator who's working very hard to secure improvements. This one actually *gasp* rides a bike.

What makes HOUTX so unbikable are the lack of complete routes. For example, there is no thru-route from Downtown to the Energy Corridor via bike lanes. That would be a reasonable commute, but there's no good way to do it without taking a very tortuous route, or being forced to navigate over-crowded streets. Again this isn't entirely the City of Houston's fault, as the Memorial Villages forbid bikes on the road.

Works great on Heights Blvd.rolleyes.gif

Really? OK, so its not smooth, but that doesn't make it unrideable...does it make for a nice stroll, no.

irritating...yes, but not unrideable. Come on,now!

Unrideable means there's a possibility your tires will pop, or having to stop every 10 seconds because of objects in your path.

It would be nice if it were paved smooth, but at least it provides a little excitement. ;)

Nothing's gonna happen to a bike if your route is a little bumpy.

Unrideable means there's a possibility your tires will pop, or having to stop every 10 seconds because of objects in your path.

By your definition it qualifies. In fact, that pic was taken while waiting for a flat to be fixed. It's off the training route because of all the pinch flats. Not to mention the taint busters. Sorry I couldn't take pictures of all the potholes. I've only got a 4M SD card.tongue.gif

It's usually not that busy either so it is likely you'll be on the stable portion more often than not.

Exactly. You end up riding in the street. Kinda defeats the purpose. And really ticks off drivers when you have a biker in the car lane with "perfectly good" bike lane. Bad situation all around.

Hopefully your BO smells like peppermint and the road grime smells like honey. Seriously, if the bus is competitive in terms of time, then wouldn't you rather have the opportunity to sit down and let someone else drive?

Yes! I poop rose petals too! tongue.gif Seriously, any bike commute in HOUTX longer than about 3min requires a shower unless you work outdoors. I'd prefer to ride than sit. Just a lifestyle choice.

Exactly. You end up riding in the street. Kinda defeats the purpose. And really ticks off drivers when you have a biker in the car lane with "perfectly good" bike lane. Bad situation all around.

please go ride down greenbriar or kirby and get back with me.

Archived